• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015
    Hard Rain - Christopher Young

Balls-to-the-wall action score. Very entertaining. (Disconcerting to hear what I think of as the "Theme from 24" used so prominently, before it became the Theme from 24. And it was also in Bruce Broughton's Shadow Conspiracy, though not as extensively, which I think was even earlier.)
  1. Just been trying to get through a few titles - 9.April (Jonas Struck), Backcountry (Frères Lumières) and Battlefield Hardline (Paul Leonard-Morgan) - and I am losing the will to live.

All are mostly noise and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Except that, if you like your noise loud then I recommend Battlefield Hardline.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015
    Southall wrote
    Hard Rain - Christopher Young

Balls-to-the-wall action score. Very entertaining. (Disconcerting to hear what I think of as the "Theme from 24" used so prominently, before it became the Theme from 24. And it was also in Bruce Broughton's Shadow Conspiracy, though not as extensively, which I think was even earlier.)

I listened to this a few hours ago. Love it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015 edited
    NP: Star Wars The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

I am watching the show and I have to give Kiner his credit for firmly sticking to the leitmotif concept. I may not like some of the simplistic orchestrations and the underwhelming recording, but he just quoted Qui-Gon's theme. QUI-GON'S THEME. One of the most obscure themes in the entire sextet of films, entirely missing from the original soundtrack album if I remember correctly. And he actually used it in an appropriate spot, too. The man clearly did his research and has respect for Williams' work! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROSEWATER (Howard Shore)

I like this! Wish Shore did more of this kind of music -- ethnic elements mixed with contemporary pop elements, a little dash of synth and smooth textures.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Scribe wrote
    NP: Star Wars The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

I am watching the show and I have to give Kiner his credit for firmly sticking to the leitmotif concept. I may not like some of the simplistic orchestrations and the underwhelming recording, but he just quoted Qui-Gon's theme. QUI-GON'S THEME. One of the most obscure themes in the entire sextet of films, entirely missing from the original soundtrack album if I remember correctly. And he actually used it in an appropriate spot, too. The man clearly did his research and has respect for Williams' work! smile

I like his music for the later seasons a lot. The pilot score CD not so much.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Captain Future wrote
    The pilot score CD not so much.

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Cinderella - Patrick Doyle

Breezy, classy and elegant. Gorgeous music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Another stunning entry in what is looking like one of the best years of the new century for film score fans, if the rest of the year follows suit at all. I don't remember the last year we got so many great scores in the first 10 weeks of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2015
    Southall wrote
    Under Fire - J Goldsmith

The best score of 2015. FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes! I hope Alexandre Desplat and Thomas Newman score half of the remake each, incorporating Danny Elfman's theme from the unaired pilot episode of the spinoff tv show.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Patrick Doyle

This is MUCH better than I remembered it. I've never really been able to warm up to Doyle and I remember being really disappointed with this score, comparing it with the magnificent Azkaban. But time and perspective are strange things and listening to this in 2015, it's really wonderful and has a lot to offer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Compared to the Hooper scores it's positively miraculous. So much melodic beauty. And that's not a knock on Hooper, he simply wasn't prepared for work of that scope and he himself admitted as much.
  3. Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Another stunning entry in what is looking like one of the best years of the new century for film score fans, if the rest of the year follows suit at all. I don't remember the last year we got so many great scores in the first 10 weeks of the year.

NP - CINDERELLA - Patrick Doyle

I agree with everything you both just said. This is Doyle's best score in a long time, too. His talents are just SO well suited to a film like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Lair - John Debney & Kevin Kaska

The La-la-Land Records edition whose existence I somehow missed until recently. It's really incredible that a score like this was ever written for a video game. Unfortunate that the game sold poorly and did not a start a new trend of video game music in this vein.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe... there are TONS of game scores that sound like this. TOOOOOOOOOONS!

Lair is incredible, though!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2015 edited
    With so many themes / motifs, such a huge ensemble, such riveting recording quality? Such classical film-music-like structure? I thought I was fairly clued in to what is going on in the game scoring world, and Lair is still a step above most of the rest to me. I didn't mean there are no such scores of the same style, I just meant Lair is better than most of them. IMO of course.

And my original point was to say that if Lair had been a hit as a video game, more games might be hiring A (or B+?) list composers and giving them big budgets to do symphonic film scores, which isn't really happening very often. When film composers cross over it's usually those of the Zimmer line of sound.I wouldn't mind seeing Debney, Silvestri, Horner, Howard etc getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to make game scores because execs believed the score was that important. Especially since game composing provides additional creative freedom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm inclined to agree with Matt: Lair to me is quite at the top of game scoring. I don't think there is a game score album I listen to more frequently. I get a kick out of it every time, it really is excellent.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... a few examples over the past few years.

REMEMBER ME
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT: WARLORDS OF DRAENOR
    REVELATION

Of course, there's MANY others... Medal of Honor, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Mercenaries, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Primal, Fracture, Afrika, Journey, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, etc.

BTW, I'm NOT disagree with you guys. Lair is phenomenal and is one of my all time favourites as well. But that style of composing in game has been going on for years!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

A game changer. A bonafide masterpiece. Bloody brilliant! I'll never get tired of this one!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

A game changer.

Hehehe...
  4. Bhopal: A Prayer for Rain - Benjamin Wallfisch

James's review is spot on. That first track is very nice. And "Rickshaw" is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard. I didn't know human voices to could sound like that! I like it! smile
  5. NP: 1941 (1979) - John Williams
    Score-CD

This is one of my less often played scores by the maestro. For that reason I passed on the archival release by LLL originaly. When they reissued it recently I could not resist any longer. Great music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

A game changer. A bonafide masterpiece. Bloody brilliant! I'll never get tired of this one!

-Erik-

Yup. Good call.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Girl with a Pearl Earring - Alexandre Desplat

A wonderful score. I remember when this and Birth came out, how wonderful it was to have a composer emerge like Desplat in an era when film music seemed to be being run into the ground by Remote Control. I'd never have believed then that he'd end up on Harry Potter and Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

A wonderful score. I remember when this and Birth came out, how wonderful it was to have a composer emerge like Desplat in an era when film music seemed to be being run into the ground by Remote Control. I'd never have believed then that he'd end up on Harry Potter and Star Wars.

So have I told you what I think about Alexandre Desplat? Here's the thing......

....alrighty, then.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015
    Southall wrote

AGREE!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

So have I told you what I think about Alexandre Desplat? Here's the thing......

....alrighty, then.

Humour and grace! Now there's an idea. wink

NP: Spaces Nils Frahm

It's not film music technically, but I suspect it will be before long.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ok... a few examples over the past few years.

REMEMBER ME
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT: WARLORDS OF DRAENOR
    REVELATION

Of course, there's MANY others... Medal of Honor, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Mercenaries, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Primal, Fracture, Afrika, Journey, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, etc.

BTW, I'm NOT disagree with you guys. Lair is phenomenal and is one of my all time favourites as well. But that style of composing in game has been going on for years!

-Erik-

Have heard most of those, and I will check out the others. But I still think Lair is a step above the rest. For sheer scale. The number and quality of themes. The...*babbles on for another few minutes pretending to know how to talk about music but actually only saying "dude, it's better!"*

But what's especially impressive about the existence of Lair as a game score is that it was created for a brand new franchise, whereas most projects of that magnitude are reserved for sequels of already successful franchises. I don't know how much money they spent on the score but to get Debney and the LSO they must have spent a pretty penny more than is usually spent on game scoring. And they got every penny of their money's worth. Too bad they didn't in other aspects of the game. I haven't played it but I heard it was miserably unfun.