• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015
    NP: Assassin's Creed Forty-Eight: Smoky Gray Signaling Device: Freedom's Enslavement Liberation Vocal Ejaculation - Olivier Deriviere

Someone ought to make this illegal. It might give kids these days the wrong idea of what music should be.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE COWBOYS (John Williams)

Williams' best western score for a film that I have some ethical issues with.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why? What's wrong with violent revenge?
    They shot The Duke, man! Death is too GOOD for them!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015 edited
    Nothing wrong with violent revenge, necessarily, but I have a problem with creating a rite-de-passage for the young boys that celebrate violence -- that they become "proper men" only when they slay those that were involved in the killing. And the celebratory nature in which it is done.

There are other things too, like the racist "Hop Sing"-like portrayal of the black man.

The film is far too right-wing for me, but that isn't very surprising given Wayne's involvement, of course.

I prefer violent revenge done in a more subversive way, like Eastwood's UNFORGIVEN or even Anderson's SOLDIER.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    Nothing wrong with violent revenge, necessarily, but I have a problem with creating a rite-de-passage for the young boys that celebrate violence -- that they become "proper men" only when they slay those that were involved in the killing. And the celebratory nature in which it is done.

I know nothing about the film but if that's what is portrayed then I would would have ethical issues (and zero enjoyment) with it too.
  1. NP: The Last Samurai (Hans Zimmer)

Very much enjoying this today. The beefy bits are less interesting, but the serene stuff is great.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Yeah, I tend to call this score the realist's Thin Red Line. It's just stripped of the metaphysical "mystery" The Thin Red Line had (mostly through harmony), but is very much firmly in the same musical language.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. NP: Hans Zimmer: The British Years

A fine compilation. BURNING SECRET clearly shows Zimmer's love for Morricone.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Oh cool. I like Philter's music. Very cool.

Short for Philipter?

Is he related to Trespassers William?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DIAMOND HEAD (John Williams)

His first ever film soundtrack release! It works better on album than in the cheeseball film, even though a lot of the cues are circling around Hugo Winterhalter's theme song.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Chappie - Hans Zimmer and friends

I'm surprised by how much I like this. Not a lot, but I do like it. 64 minutes is twice as long as I'd like it to be, and the Dark Knight Rises stuff is irritating. Otherwise there's some real entertainment value. (But seriously... "Chappie"? Are they making a sequel called Pedigree Chum?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Chappie
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They've already made a sequel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Chappie - Hans Zimmer and friends

I'm surprised by how much I like this. Not a lot, but I do like it. 64 minutes is twice as long as I'd like it to be, and the Dark Knight Rises stuff is irritating. Otherwise there's some real entertainment value. (But seriously... "Chappie"? Are they making a sequel called Pedigree Chum?)

I like this, too. Most of my thoughts echo yours. The Dark Knight Rises stuff is irritating, which includes that headache inducing action track "Mayhem Downtown." <-- Baseball bat to the head!

Anyway, most of it is very entertaining. It's thematic (really good main theme), emotional, dramatic and exciting. Fans of Daft Punk, Vangelis, Cliff Martinez and Brad Fiedel should be embracing this one.

"The Black Sheep" is a marvelous cue!

-Erik-

PS - Now Thor has nothing to talk about because we actually like the score.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015
    I'm sure he'll find a way of not liking it after all smile
  4. NP: The Thing - Ennio Morricone

Fantastically atmospheric score this one. Love it!

Well, most of it. There are one or two tracks that I do tend to omit from when I listen to it. But there is at least 30 minutes of excellent stuff.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I'm sure he'll find a way of not liking it after all smile

He, he....no, but I'm relieved to see that I'm rather ecstatic about the score, while others here are more lukewarm. If anyone had been as ecstatic as me, I would have been worried.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I quite love it and expect to love it even more upon further listens. Between it, Jupiter Ascending and Wolf Totem, I don't remember a better January-March in recent history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't like JUPITER ASCENDING at all, but I did enjoy WOLF TOTEM. Not as spectacularly as everyone else, but still classic Horner quality.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Independence Day David Arnold

This really is my favourite score. I have a few favourite scores mind you, but this is certainly one of them. There's an irony that something so numinous can come from something so asinine. (Or perhaps not given where most numinous experience comes from.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I don't like JUPITER ASCENDING

Boo!

but I did enjoy WOLF TOTEM. Not as spectacularly as everyone else, but still classic Horner quality.

Boo!

Well, sort of. I understand that. I edited the album, cutting it down to about 40 minutes, moving the highlights around a bit, and I must say it's since become my joint-favourite score of 2015 thus far. (The others being Paper Planes and Jupiter Ascending.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ah yes. All very fine scores! So far so very good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015
    Wolf Totem James Horner

Brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Independence Day David Arnold

This really is my favourite score. I have a few favourite scores mind you, but this is certainly one of them. There's an irony that something so numinous can come from something so asinine. (Or perhaps not given where most numinous experience comes from.)

the end titles is worth the price alone. a favourite from my youth. i need to give it another chance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You should talk to your youthful side more often, y'filthy hipster.
  5. NP: The Car - Leonard Rosenman

Thoroughly enjoying this one.

More or less taking all his trademark sounds and motifs, mixing it in with some Dies Irae and there you have it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    hipst
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Duel - Billy Goldenberg

Gritty 70s scoring that effectively conjures the images of the Spielberg classic to the point of almost smelling the fuel, oil and grease of the old truck! I've always liked the nods to Herrmann's Psycho too. Well, the truck driver is obviously that, right?!
  6. NP: Cinderella (2015) - Patrick Doyle

Breathtaking! If this goes on 2015 could end up being a score year like 1981 or 1995. It's fun to be a film music fan.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Remind me what came out in 81 and 95?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt