• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015 edited
    Scribe wrote
    The Promise? Most technically impressive, yes. Most massive, yes. But not the most entertaining or moving to me, so it depends on the definition of best wink

Not moving? Yeesh!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015
    I didn't say it wasn't moving! It's very moving! I just think The Time Machine is slightly more very moving! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, his story checks out. That is indeed what he said. I haven't listened to that score for a long time, so thanks for the reminder! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service John Barry

I've only recently given this one a proper chance. Better late than never I suppose.

Pure class.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Alien Jerry

Best Alien film, best Alien score. If you believe otherwise, you're mistaken.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service John Barry

I've only recently given this one a proper chance. Better late than never I suppose.

Pure class.

It is! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Alien Jerry

I agree with you but I still play Aliens more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I love both but Alien always wins out for me.

And I'm loving Alien Isolation. Great game!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Alien Jerry

I agree with you but I still play Aliens more.

For such a dark (and at times majestic) score, Alien is something I'm rarely not in the mood for. My brain and my heart loves it. Horner's is not far behind, mind you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fantatic score in the movie (probably Goldsmith's best -- including Scott's "version" of it), but it's something I'm rarely in the mood for on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Completely understand that. It's so effective in its aims, that you'll largely either love it of hate it as an album. But I can't get enough of it, truly one of the great scores.
  1. Let's get to the bottom of this.

NP: Alien (1980) - Jerry Goldsmith

This is my numero uno Alien score. But I think I prefer Goldenthal above Horner ...

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. While Goldsmith's original main title cue is a beauty and I understand his pride in it, I think I prefer the final version (he himself hated), because of the character of Ridley Scott's cinema. Scott wants to immerse from the first shot, something he's been a master of, and he needs the music to convey a certain atmosphere.

It's an interesting issue to research from the perspective of what the composer wants and what the director wants. Where I disagree with the liner notes of the Intrada release is that Matessino doesn't look at the whole project from an objective point of view. He is releasing the score, obviously, and he's a score fan, so he talks from the Goldsmith perspective very clearly, but I think the problems Goldsmith had with Ridley and Ridley (then an inexperienced director with that kind of fare and also with working with such a renowned composer as Jerry Goldsmith was) had with the communication could be boiled down to this Jerry quote, as given in the liner notes of the Intrada album:

"Ridley is a brilliant filmmaker, he's a brilliant visualist (...); the message I was getting from him that he wanted me to be visual with the music". I would put it in different terms. I'd say that Ridley wants to be atmospheric with the music which also reflects the later notions of what Ridley Scott says about sentimentality in his commentary to Black Rain.

Sentimentality, says Scott, is unwarranted emotion. The music has to be "with" the movie and while obviously it is supposed to foreshadow things (which Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams and many other composers are masters at), for him the music shouldn't overshadow the picture. Ridley is renowned for specific approach to music (which James Southall hates for example), but I think for that specific kind of "non-zero-style" approach he takes to his visuals, it's all about immersion. It's about throwing you in a world (yes, I'm mimicking a certain philosopher here, Martin Heidegger namely, but I don't think that the theory of artistic immersion is that Heideggerian... I'd have to seriously get into it) and keeping you in it. Goldsmith wanted (a valid approach, but obviously not for the director) to establish the beauty of space and then unleash hell. I just don't think it's a Ridley Scott cinema thing to do. Ultimately I would defend the change in the main title cue.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Heidegger, the xenomorph of philosophy. wink
  4. I think someone ought to write a thesis analyzing the length of time between when somebody mentions a film or score directed by either Ridley Scott or Terence Malick and the inevitable essay-length Pawel post that follows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I found Pawel's thoughts quite interesting! I can see the merit of both main title cues, so I'm a bit if a fence sitter on that front.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Heidegger, the xenomorph of philosophy. wink

For many, actually biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I prefer Ridley's use of the main title. My main beef with Scott's tinkering is the use of Goldsmith's FRUED, it jars me and the recording isn't in synch with the rest of the score.
  6. From what I know, the usage of Freud in the score was the producers', not Ridley's wish.

Same with Legend. Ridley seriously regrets what happened on that one, but that was a producer decision and Ridley's fault was the didn't defend the Goldsmith score (which was retained in Europe and in the later director's cut, which I have seen) rather than deciding to toss it from the picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    From what I know, the usage of Freud in the score was the producers', not Ridley's wish.

I think it was Terry Rawlings (at least, that's what Goldsmith said).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    From what I know, the usage of Freud in the score was the producers', not Ridley's wish.

I think it was Terry Rawlings (at least, that's what Goldsmith said).

It was. It's right there in the interviews on the DVD/BD set.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Whatever! It was ( marginally ) distracting.
  7. Wolf Totem Horner

Got home today to find this waiting for me, just finishing up my first listen. I absolutely love it, big, beautiful, emotional music!
  8. Oh yeah, oh yeah, ohhhh yeahhh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Snowy Owl and the Tortoise of Beijing (or something like that) - Javier Navarette

I expected to like this a lot. Another Monkey King perhaps, or something like that. Sadly not. Some good parts, but a lot of noisy Zimmerish action nonsense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LO IMPOSIBLE (Fernando Velazquez)

The main theme is PURE Morricone, but it has other highlights too -- and some unsettling stuff. One of my favourites from 2012.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: The Legend of Iya - Magnus Gangstad Jørgensen

Pleasant mix of orchestral, electronics and vocals elements for this game score from 2014. I think he goes under the artist name, Philter.

Thor, have you come across him?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015
    Never. Is he Norwegian? I'm not into games or game music, so he must have slipped under my radar.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I think he's Norwegian. He may be more widely known by the name Philter.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015
    Oh cool. I like Philter's music. Very cool.
    Kazoo