• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    *sigh*

Sorry to be such a pain-in-the-ass that you have to explain yourself further.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Of course you can judge an album you hear without watching the film. Of course you can judge Peer Gynt without the play. But you should remember that you were - originally - not supposed to listen to it in that way when you hear it the first time.

I do remember that I shouldn't be listening to any soundtracks I listen to without having seen the film beforehand. I feel such a rebel every single time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Scribe, let me clarify, and I'm just talking about the actual Winter Soldier theme here. I love the rest of the music.

I prefer melodic, beautiful music over dubstep and/or other pure electronic noise. So when I heard it the first time - before I saw the movie - I thought, wow, that's... a difficult listen, but I'll wait 'til I've seen the movie to form my opinion.

When I saw it, I thought the music worked in perfect symbiosis with the character and the hard action on screen, and now, whenever I hear it, I have those pictures in mind, and get actually pumped up about it.

So I don't like the music itself, but what it builds up to in my head. dizzy

I hope that redeems me...? wink

Edmund, the fact that you have to judge a score on its album alone shouldn't stand in the way of accepting that your judgement will be based on an incomplete experience.

What you say about great scores is right, of course. That's mostly the case because great scores have very great main themes the mainstream audience can remember and hum afterwards.

But isn't it true as well, that we, as filmmusic geeks, tend to really love and enjoy a track like "The Asteroid Field", but anything the mainstream audience will ever remember will be the "Imperial March"?
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    *sigh*

Sorry to be such a pain-in-the-ass that you have to explain yourself further.

I was just referrring to the comments that had taken what I said a bit out of context.

Look, this is all about such a small thing. Most of you are right about most of what you said. It's just that one small thing I said that I think to be right, but a lot of comments dodge around that by overemphasizing aspects that are all true but irrelevant to that small point I'm making.
  4. Thor wrote
    HRMPH!

Must.....resist.....getting....involved....

kiss
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2015 edited
    Ralph, I was just teasing, you don't need redemption. I can't even remember if I saw the film or heard the score first so I can't say whether my experience of the album was similarly colored by the film or not. I just remember I was initially lukewarm about the whole thing (partially driven by the immense dislike for the score on here) but that every time I go back to it I find myself more and more fond of all of it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with "judging" film scores as standalone musical albums even if that is not the original purpose of the music's creation. I do think there is something wrong with judging the talents and potential of a composer by the same criteria.

"The Winter Soldier score album sucks and is a horrendous listening experience" is not an opinion that would get my ire up at all or cause me to get into long discussions with anyone. "Henry Jackman sucks and is just like all those other damn Zimmer clones", on the other hand, might annoy me a bit, because there are good reasons why Jackman made the creative choices some have expressed disagreement with, and it's quite clear he's perfectly capable of producing more traditional, lyrical film music when asked. Some don't know Jackman was actually responsible for "Up Is Down", considered one of the best tracks on one of the best Zimmer scores of all time. Or that he actually wrote a traditional, lyrical long-lined theme for First Class and was told by the director to remove everything except the ostinato riff. So judge The Winter Soldier as an album all you want. Just don't conclude that Jackman is a talentless hack who doesn't understand the musical needs of a scene wink That has been suggested in the past, although fortunately I don't think anyone here is doing that.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2015 edited
    NP: Le pere Noel - Klaus Badelt

Nice little return-to-form for Badelt, who has been mired in really low-budget projects in France (his choice to leave Hollywood though) since the glory days of The Promise and The Time Machine and 1/8 of Pirates of the Caribbean. This new score is not exactly epic on that level but it has a heartwarming main theme and nice wordless vocals.

I had to get someone to buy this score for me because it's not available on any US digital stores, there is no album release and the European stores literally will not take my money, which is kind of ridiculous. It's almost like they're trying to push people into piracy with these restrictive regional rights. rolleyes
  5. Scribe wrote
    "The Winter Soldier score album sucks and is a horrendous listening experience" is not an opinion that would get my ire up at all or cause me to get into long discussions with anyone.

Mhhhhhhhhh, yeah, alright. I guess so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2015
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Le pere Noel - Klaus Badelt

Nice little return-to-form for Badelt, who has been mired in really low-budget projects in France (his choice to leave Hollywood though) since the glory days of The Promise and The Time Machine and 1/8 of Pirates of the Caribbean. This new score is not exactly epic on that level but it has a heartwarming main theme and nice wordless vocals.

I had to get someone to buy this score for me because it's not available on any US digital stores, there is no album release and the European stores literally will not take my money, which is kind of ridiculous. It's almost like they're trying to push people into piracy with these restrictive regional rights. rolleyes

Haven't heard that, but you should check out his 30c COULEUR from 2012. A very nice score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, I have that one, it's nice. smile One of the last I ever purchased, as about that time he had started to do so many low budget projects with generic music that it was just wasting my time. 30c Couleur might be his last best one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    CDBaby has ripped War of the Vendee and I was just able to download it in FLAC. I have not listened to it to check for errors but I'm assuming they have checks in place for such eventualities, just not the one where the composer sends them 30 second samples in place of the full album. Hopefully they can get a few more sales out of the album now that it's corrected. And thanks Alan for bringing this fantastic music to our attention. I also have the Kaska chamber music on order from Amazon as the clips for that also sounded phenomenal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If you love Kaska then you'll want to own his TONE POEMS album.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/in-the-sp … ood-films/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, I obtained that earlier in the thread and recommended it also punk
  6. NP: The Arti: The Adventure Begins - Chen Chien-Chi

A big rousing orchestral score for an animated film from Asia.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2015
    Asia. That's in the southern hemisphere, right?
  7. I believe, seen from England, the rest of the globe is Asia. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    If you love Kaska then you'll want to own his TONE POEMS album.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/in-the-sp … ood-films/

-Erik-

Can you recommend any other Kaska music, Erik? I wasn't a huge fan of the whole album, but Battle for Atlantis, The Lake Isle of Innisfree, Mount Vesuvius and The Golden Falcon tracks were excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    War of the Vendee is pretty much the only other Kaska music in the film score vein, other than his work on Lair. You can now download it in FLAC on CDBaby if interested. It's shockingly Williams-ish. In a good way. He's as good or better at channeling Williams than McNeely. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He also shares a spot with Williams on this CD of concert music:

http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Trumpet- … B00006F7K4

Recommended CD!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: Top Gun (1986) - Giorgio Moroder; Harold Faltermeyer

I saw the film once many years ago and I hardly remember anything about it. The songs, especially the original ones penned by Moroder, and the two instrumentals by Faltermeyer make this a 80s synth orgy. A fun listen.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A superb score. It needs to get a proper score-only release!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And seriously - of all the truly classic film scores, of all the ones that are remembered and loved and have stood the test of time - how many of them don't work as music? Not a single goddamn one is how many of them.

Speaking of those "truly classic film scores" I'm not a huge fan of them. For example, most of those famous Golden Age/Silver Age scores. El Cid, Ben Hur, Gone With The Wind, Spartacus. I thought they were incredibly overwrought, melodramatic and intrusive. I could only appreciate/grow to like/enjoy them after seeing the movies that they were meant to accompany. Even something simple like To Kill A Mockingbird or Psycho. Those were truly underscores, music to accompany the images and emotions and story and they only work as standalone experiences after you've already seen the movie. Of course there were exceptions, but liking only 1/3 of all of those score doesn't help what you're saying.

FWIW, I don't even like most of the Star Wars scores, outside of the set pieces. As a person whose root is deep in classical music, I really love the motifs and melodic themes and the big set pieces that was hugely inspired by the temp, but after those, it's really boring to me.
  9. Criticising film music for being melodramatic feels like lamenting about ice cream for being sweet. smile

I can't fully appreciate any fim score without having seen the movie.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2015 edited
    lp wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And seriously - of all the truly classic film scores, of all the ones that are remembered and loved and have stood the test of time - how many of them don't work as music? Not a single goddamn one is how many of them.

Speaking of those "truly classic film scores" I'm not a huge fan of them. For example, most of those famous Golden Age/Silver Age scores. El Cid, Ben Hur, Gone With The Wind, Spartacus. I thought they were incredibly overwrought, melodramatic and intrusive. I could only appreciate/grow to like/enjoy them after seeing the movies that they were meant to accompany. Even something simple like To Kill A Mockingbird or Psycho. Those were truly underscores, music to accompany the images and emotions and story and they only work as standalone experiences after you've already seen the movie. Of course there were exceptions, but liking only 1/3 of all of those score doesn't help what you're saying.

I don't really enjoy a lot of the classics, either. Though it's not that I think they don't work as music away from their films. I think it's more of a generational thing. I just don't like that golden age sound.

I will disagree about the theme from TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, though. That theme is pure magic, in or out of the film.

Captain Future wrote
    Criticising film music for being melodramatic feels like lamenting about ice cream for being sweet. smile

I can't fully appreciate any film score without having seen the movie.

I can! I guess it's kind of subjective to say that I "fully" appreciate scores, whatever that means, but there are scores that I love to pieces and feel like I understand thematically, structurally, harmonically, etc., having heard them and analyzed them, and I've never seen the movies they accompany. In fact, in some cases I think my enjoyment of the music might be damaged by the film (as has happened to me several times).

Some scores that I'd say I "fully" appreciate, though I've never seen their films:

THE GREATEST MIRACLE - Mark McKenzie
    LADIES IN LAVENDER - Nigel Hess
    UN HOMME ET SON CHIEN - Philippe Rombi
    DURANGO - Mark McKenzie
    RICH IN LOVE - George Delerue
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski
    LEGENDS OF THE FALL - James Horner

I could go on, but those are some of my favorites.

Now, would watching the films make me appreciate these scores more? Maybe. But in these cases I really doubt it. It has certainly happened that watching a film has helped me appreciate a score more (it happens often, actually), and some of my favorite scores are favorite scores because they accompany my favorite movies, but I think that "full" appreciation of which you speak is only true for me when scores accompany a really good film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    Criticising film music for being melodramatic feels like lamenting about ice cream for being sweet. smile

I can't fully appreciate any fim score without having seen the movie.

Volker

Wrong, there are many types of ice cream. The sugary sweet cheap kind, the delicately flavored kind, the inbetweens, etc. The Golden/Silver Age score were overly melodramatic, bombastic, because the movies were spectacles, experiences that people got dressed up to go watch. And composers had to amp up the production designs and the actors acting and fighting and such. Different time.
  10. Little Women - Thomas Newman

Newman owes a lot to Aaron Copland for this score, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015
    I don't really connect with most cinema (especially Hollywood variety) so a lot of times it's more true for me to say I can't really appreciate a film score unless I stay away from the film. Yes, I know I'm not appreciate it in its intended environment but, I don't care as long as its interesting, exciting or beautiful music. smile
  11. John Williams - Jurassic Park

Finally on the original CD. I thought it was out of print! And Amazon had it on a bargain price. 1993 was just The Year of John Williams.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams - Jurassic Park

Finally on the original CD. I thought it was out of print! And Amazon had it on a bargain price. 1993 was just The Year of John Williams.

Never heard of it....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Even something simple like To Kill A Mockingbird or Psycho. Those were truly underscores, music to accompany the images and emotions and story and they only work as standalone experiences after you've already seen the movie.

Then howcome I enjoy them without having seen either film?