• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Even something simple like To Kill A Mockingbird or Psycho. Those were truly underscores, music to accompany the images and emotions and story and they only work as standalone experiences after you've already seen the movie.

Then howcome I enjoy them without having seen either film?

Weird isn't it!

I disagree with the idea that the music only works as a standalone after having seeing the film. Even with the examples given.

Yes, you may not 'get' all that the composer initially suggests with the music but it can be enjoyed to some degree as a separate entity.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015
    Exactly. It's still referred to as music after all, not sound design. Scores that rely more on 'sound design' to create atmosphere rather than melody or leitmotifs are the ones that tend to be harder to appreciate outside their respective films.
  2. I never said film music doesn't work as a standalone without having seen the film. It just mostly doesn't work for me. smile
    For me the score represents the film in a condensed and abstracted way. I experiance the essence of the film, with my inner cinema running full throttle.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015
    That's great. But I was replying to lp, not you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015 edited
    NP: CHAPPIE (Hans Zimmer)

Friggin' fantastic -- whether it's hardcore EDM or gorgeous Vangelis-like textures! My favourite score of the year so far for a mediocre film (maybe even BAD film).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Steven wrote
    That's great. But I was replying to lp, not you.

Oh, OK. Then never mind. Have a nice evening everyone! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2015
    Jumping Jupiter Michael Giacchino

Initially the lack of a more obvious theme was disappointing, but with each listen it's becoming less so. This is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Indeed, there are multiple memorable and unzimmerishly long themes once you get a chance to learn them.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    From one great Wachowski score to an ever greater one...

The Matrix Revolutions The Don

If this isn't a five star score, I'm not sure what is.
  4. NP: Wolf Totem - James Horner

Compelling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    From one great Wachowski score to an ever greater one...

The Matrix Revolutions The Don

If this isn't a five star score, I'm not sure what is.

Chappie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, yes. But apart from Chappie, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2015
    NP: Summer in February - Benjamin Wallfisch

One of the most hauntingly beautiful scores of the decade so far IMO. Incredible theme and manages to paint the various feelings of being in love with a wide palette.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

One of the most hauntingly beautiful scores of the decade so far IMO. Incredible theme and manages to paint the various feelings of being in love with a wide palette.

Lovely score. One of my favourites from 2013.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Lovely score. One of my favourites from 2013.

-Erik-

Same here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Raiders of the Lost Ark John Williams

I'm never not in the mood for this. The perfect film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE TIME MACHINE (Klaus Badelt)

Klaus' best score by far! Blah, blah, the theme is similar to THE EDGE, blah, blah, I don't care.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Wolf Hall - Debbie Wiseman

One of my favourite albums of the year so far.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Wolf Hall - Debbie Wiseman

One of my favourite albums of the year so far.

I don't get the appeal of this, to be honest. To me, it sounds very raw and gritty and detached. I tried it a couple of times, but never connected to it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Even something simple like To Kill A Mockingbird or Psycho. Those were truly underscores, music to accompany the images and emotions and story and they only work as standalone experiences after you've already seen the movie.

Then howcome I enjoy them without having seen either film?

Because. It's different for everyone. I'm just giving you my perspective on it. I could enjoy the El Cids and Spartacus by itself because they were so close, stylistically, to the original Classical inspirations. But I couldn't follow it with other scores, like To Kill a Mockingbird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE TIME MACHINE (Klaus Badelt)

Klaus' best score by far! Blah, blah, the theme is similar to THE EDGE, blah, blah, I don't care.

Blah blah, that theme was never even the best part of the score anyway biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I think it is. But there are so many great elements here that it all comes together beautifully.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I would think you would like the Eloi music (if not the big choir then the gentle woodwind stuff) or at least the Bleeker Street theme better than the big bombastic time travelling theme...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    I would think you would like the Eloi music (if not the big choir then the gentle woodwind stuff) or at least the Bleeker Street theme better than the big bombastic time travelling theme...

The album needs both to balance itself out. I also enjoy the choral material, in particular.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well, you are definitely right about that. I am glad you can appreciate the whole scope of the score and not just the quiet parts. It's one of my most nostalgic favorites, one of my first purchases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Ghost Writer - A Desplat

This is superb.
  6. Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote

The album needs both to balance itself out. I also enjoy the choral material, in particular.

Check out ADIEMUS I tell you. The whole original album. You'll love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE PROMISE (Klaus Badelt)

Klaus' best score by far!

Fixed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015 edited
    The Promise? Most technically impressive, yes. Most massive, yes. But not the most entertaining or moving to me, so it depends on the definition of best wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Check out ADIEMUS I tell you. The whole original album. You'll love it.

I have all of Adiemus and Karl Jenkins' works, or at least very close to all. Precisely because "it sounds like the choir in Time Machine". I still think Badelt did it better, if merely because the scarcity of that choir makes it all the more special in his score. When every track sounds like that, it can be exhausting in the same way as trailer music. Still some wonderful music though.