• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - Marvin Hamlish

So for the first time since SKYFALL I have added another Bond score to my collection. I have now 14 out of 24 EON scores. Hamilsch does a great job. His take on the Bond theme in "Bond 77" is dynamite.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015
    I'm curious about Outlander! Haven't got it yet.

NP: Partition - Brian Tyler
    Forgot what it was like. I mean I really didn't remember. Long time ago.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - Marvin Hamlish

So for the first time since SKYFALL I have added another Bond score to my collection. I have now 14 out of 24 EON scores. Hamilsch does a great job. His take on the Bond theme in "Bond 77" is dynamite.

Volker

Hopefully there'll come a day when we have the full original score, this is a rare Bond album in that this album is a rerecording*, and bloody good at that, I think a lot of people, including some who dismiss this score will be surprised by the wealth of material not heard on record before.

( *all of Barry's Bond scores are the film tracks )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bregje wrote

Nice but very monothematic.... so I switched to them turtles.
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015 edited
    -
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Bregje wrote

Nice but very monothematic.... so I switched to them turtles.
    punk

His Tortoises score is great fun. I wish I liked Tyler's music more but it mostly leaves me stone cold.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's not a great film composer, his music has rarely 'got under the skin' like a great score can, but he's a very capable composer and a stupendously talented musician, and it's in that sense I enjoy a lot of his scores. Turtles is his best I think.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    He's not a great film composer, his music has rarely 'got under the skin' like a great score can, but he's a very capable composer and a stupendously talented musician, and it's in that sense I enjoy a lot of his scores. Turtles is his best I think.

I think his Turtles score is best too. Can he really play the drums? I've known and know personally plenty of drummers who can do that flash shit I saw on that video of his, it takes far more that that to be good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think he can. He's clearly got a good sense of timing and rhythm when he's playing the drums to a prerecorded track, and I would imagine has a good mental map of music (rather than messing about aimlessly). Plus, he also plays a shit load of other instruments. The man is talented (and good looking... that son of a bitch).
  2. Outlander is a fine representation of the music used in the actual episodes. Most of it is instrumental, the style reminiscent of his more quiet material for BSG, and, most of all during action scenes (but not exclusive to them), there's lots of bagpipe stuff, and Bear's typical love for great percussion of any kind comes through, as well. Some tracks make great use of the wonderful voice of Bear's wife, most of all the fabulous Main Title, but we also have the nice ballad from the series done by a male bard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I think he can. He's clearly got a good sense of timing and rhythm when he's playing the drums to a prerecorded track, and I would imagine has a good mental map of music (rather than messing about aimlessly). Plus, he also plays a shit load of other instruments. The man is talented.

I think he most probably can too, just playing a bit of devil's advocate there.

Steven wrote
    (and good looking... that son of a bitch).

If you'd like to look like Barbie's bloke Ken then yeah, he's good looking. rolleyes ( jealous? Moi!!? moon )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't mind! He's no Chris Pratt though. (Gay? Moi!?)
  3. Bregje wrote
    Bregje wrote

Nice but very monothematic....

Really? I thought I remembered there being two or three nice themes in that one. That's Tyler's style that I prefer, much more than his (very aptly written) action-y stuff.

NP - KANO - Naoki Sato

This is really quite strong. The final five tracks are just excellent. "Furuki Yoki Jidai" (the 11th track) has an incredibly powerful theme in it which is sort of marred by the female vocal, imo. Then "Maboroshi No Daichi," is spine-tinglingly gorgeous. "Fukutsu No Seishin" and "Kurotsuchi No Chikara" have that inspiration sports movie build-up thing going on and do it really well. "Gaisen" crescendos into a sweeping triumphant theme (a reprise from "Maboroshi No Daichi" complete with crashing cymbals. Good stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Avengers Alan Silvestri

Superb action score with a proper theme. I love this score... except perhaps for the rather dull recording. (This particular fan-made edit does wonders for the album though.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Superb action score with a proper theme. I love this score... except perhaps for the rather dull recording. (This particular fan-made edit does wonders for the album though.)

I hope Tyler retains the theme for Age of Ultron.
  4. I guess his Marvel fanfare will end up to be the new Avengers theme, mostly because it fits wonderfully to his themes from Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. He might still include the old theme at the beginning, and then use his own theme later; after all, he even used Silvestri's Captain America theme in Thor 2, so he's not at all against "quoting".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I hope Tyler retains the theme for Age of Ultron.

That would be the logical thing to do. So of course it won't happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Paper Planes - Nigel Westlake

This really is quite something. Love it.
  5. NP - CALVARY - Patrick Cassidy

That first track is so gorgeous!! It's one of my favorite tracks of the year and never fails to move me. Is that Gaelic?
  6. NP: Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014) - Alberto Iglesias
    On Spotify

I saw the CD in a shop today and it ocurred to me that don't have the slightest idea about this score. What I hear is nice enough but I think Spotify will do.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014) - Alberto Iglesias
    On Spotify

I saw the CD in a shop today and it ocurred to me that don't have the slightest idea about this score. What I hear is nice enough but I think Spotify will do.

Volker

It's ear candy for me. Nice to listen to but doesn't quite sit well afterwards. Still in the top 10% of 2014 scores though.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014) - Alberto Iglesias
    On Spotify

Volker

"Into the Water" is one of the year's best cues, IMO. The rest of the album is very hit & miss. I LOVED the film -- unlike most of my colleagues here in Norway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a very entertaining score (including HGW's tracks) let down by a poor album. I keep meaning to make a playlist...
  7. NP: The Da Vinci Code (2006) - Hans Zimmer

Still one of my favourite scores by HZ.
  8. One of my favourite HZ albums. It's one of these cases, where a fantastic piece of music is just wrong for the film it accompanies. As "pure music" though, I think it's one of his finest writing achievements. Some of his best orchestral writing at least.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Steven wrote
    It's a very entertaining score (including HGW's tracks) let down by a poor album. I keep meaning to make a playlist...

I found HGW's part to be quite lackluster, but that's probably because I'm pretty damn tired with his post-Battle-of-Kerak action music he's writing every time when he has a bit more than a string section...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote

I found HGW's part to be quite lackluster, but that's probably because I'm pretty damn tired with his post-Battle-of-Kerak action music he's writing every time when he has a bit more than a string section...

Yup. I enjoy the Narnia action tracks as a guilty pleasure but you're right.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall

Just wonderful. One of my favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RED KROKODIL (Alexander Cimini)

I like the achingly melodramatic cues, I'm a bit more hesitant on the experimental stuff (like the opening track).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Ooh, yeah, that first track always gets a skip from me. The rest of the album is wonderful, though.