• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: RED KROKODIL (Alexander Cimini)

I like the achingly melodramatic cues, I'm a bit more hesitant on the experimental stuff (like the opening track).

I like this!

I absolutely love the last track Passion and Love which I've played multiple times. I believe the track came from an earlier work, Mr Hyde's Secret or something?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: The Mad Monkey - Antoine Duhamel

Quite a creepy orchestral score this one. For a 1989 Jeff Goldblum film I've never heard of.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: RED KROKODIL (Alexander Cimini)

I like the achingly melodramatic cues, I'm a bit more hesitant on the experimental stuff (like the opening track).

I like this!

I absolutely love the last track Passion and Love which I've played multiple times. I believe the track came from an earlier work, Mr Hyde's Secret or something?

Yes, both Red Krokodil and Hyde's Secret Nightmare were by the same director. I think Cimini was asked to composer this track for Hyde's Secret Nightmare after the original score was composed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Scribe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's a very entertaining score (including HGW's tracks) let down by a poor album. I keep meaning to make a playlist...

I found HGW's part to be quite lackluster, but that's probably because I'm pretty damn tired with his post-Battle-of-Kerak action music he's writing every time when he has a bit more than a string section...

Yup. I enjoy the Narnia action tracks as a guilty pleasure but you're right.

Assuming you're referring to "Tsunami" - well, I got a huge kick out of that cue. Yes, it's very similar to Narnia and Prince of Persia and Kingdom of Heaven, but we haven't really heard HGW write in that mode in quite a few years, and for me it was great to hear again. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2015
    I suppose that would be the glass half full way to look at it...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Well, if you heard Cowboys and Aliens which was not so long ago, there is a cue like that there as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LITTLE BUDDHA - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Brilliant score. Perfect album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, if you heard Cowboys and Aliens which was not so long ago, there is a cue like that there as well.

Yeah. The problem is not that the music is not enjoyable for those who have tastes in that direction...the problem is when Kingdom of Heaven came out, it was new and different and innovative, but since the mid 2000s he seems to have reduced the size of his creative pallet massively, not only failing to come up with any new tricks but seemingly altogether stopping the use of some of his best tricks. I don't know if he's bored, or tired, or typecast into the wrong sort of films to inspire him, or what...but I hope he finds his mojo again soon. Perhaps different sorts of projects would help. No more action thrillers.
  5. I'm sure I read somewhere sometime that HGW said that he was more interested in orchestration or conducting than composing and that he was disillusioned with the Hollywood casting / scoring system. But I can't lay my finger on it. Pawel, did you say that?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    That would be sad to hear about a composer who had such incredible promise a decade ago...
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, if you heard Cowboys and Aliens which was not so long ago, there is a cue like that there as well.

Sure, but that score didn't have the massive choral presence that "Tsunami" has. For me, it's HGW's best action cue since probably Prince Caspian.
  7. Now on arte French/German TV:

Daniel Hope (Violin)

Erich Wolfgang Korngold: Violin Concerto (1945)
    Miklos Rozsa: Spellbound Prelude and Love Theme
    Kurt Weill: Suite for Violine and Orchestra compiled from some of his songs: "Mack the Knife", "Speak Low", "September Song" among others.

Volker
  8. NP: Healing - David Hirschfelder

I'd certainly recommend this album from 2014. A restrained orchestral work that's very beautiful in places, more up-tempo in others. Some ethnic orchestrations thrown in for good measure.

A shame that I didn't come to this one until today, or it may have featured in my year-end round-up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healing-Origina … rschfelder

(I don't think that the clips do it justice & I am not sure if it's on Spotify.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    Intriguing. The few Hirschfelder scores I've heard have included some very beautiful music. Most of all his Australia work, which while very temp-track based has some incredible themes rich in sonically pleasing harmony.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HEALING isn't on Spotify Alan.

I agree with Matt on AUSTRALIA, I'd buy this on hard copy if released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited
    Scribe wrote
    sonically pleasing harmony

dizzy spin dizzy

BROADCHURCH | olafur arnalds

Saw some of this live at Gent Jazz last year. I remember liking the mood and after hearing sonically some positive comments about the cd release, I had a listen to this on Spotify. Olafur doesn't sound like his brother Dovid at all. It's all rather complexless music, very moody and slow, but lets say half of it is really interesting and beautiful music. The main theme gets slowly into shape and gets backed with electronic beats. I like the songs too. It's a odd mix, a bit distancing too. I can't imagine what this series is about or how the music fits.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    The music is spectacularly great for Broadchurch. Here you can see why. Both music and series are vastly superior to its US remake, Gracepoint.

While the show is certainly not reinventing the murder mystery genre, it's wonderfully filmed, has f*cking incredible performances, and, obviously, a great score.

The currently running second series adds a new layer to the events of series one while exploring both dark pasts and challenging futures for everyone involved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: Penny Dreadful - Abel Korzeniowski
    Love it. I do skip the creepy tense stuff. The final three cues are lovely, plus the main title of course.

And today I listened to The Fountain, Interstellar and Tron lick
    And a bit to Jupiter Ascending because my piano teacher made a piano arrangement for me. Yay.

And to make some feel better perhaps: I don't think Brian Tyler is handsome at all.

NP: Maleficent - JNH
    Watched the movie yesterday... fell asleep... this is really a hollow movie. The music is the best part. Will watch the end this evening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    And to make some feel better perhaps: I don't think Brian Tyler is handsome at all.

shocked
    Even *I* want to sleep with him!

Maleficent
    Will watch the end this evening.

Spare yourself some pain and don't. slant
    It does NOT get better.
    A very poor effort.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    But an unfinished film is very unsatisfying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote

shocked

Are you sure you're not confusing him the BBC political editor for Scotland, Brian Taylor? uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote

shocked
    Even *I* want to sleep with him!

No need to be shocked. I know women who don't fancy the likes of Christiano Ronaldo or David Beckham.

I could see many women seeing Tyler as too smooth, too slick looking.

To me he looks like he's made of plastic.
  9. Which is probably to blame to poor photoshop-ing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a difference between not fancying someone and saying they're not attractive though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    It's weird to do perhaps, but I can explain exactly what I don't like. His eyes are too close to one a other and deep in his face. The fact that his eyes are light coloured makes it worse... His teeth are too white and I don't like the shape of his lips. His (fore)head is too boney. Maybe slick is the word... and a bit creepy. I hope I don't insult too much.

I must say he looks better with headphones on and in photos where he is conducting or playing music, he is attractive! His hair and clothes are nice. But he's not handsome in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    There's a difference between not fancying someone and saying they're not attractive though.

I would rather say a difference between attractive and handsome/pretty. But that's because attractive means you're attracted (= you fancy someone) while the other thing is just the looks?

It is fascinating what makes someone attractive to some people. And fun to talk about with people with different taste.
    smile

(and sorry Brian Tyler... shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Yes, I suppose it's logical to use the word in that sense. But in general, when someone says 'X is attractive', they don't necessarily mean they're attracted *to* them. There is a difference believe it or not. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In that case I would never use the phrase 'attractive', which for me would by definition mean I would fancy them!

When I'm not attracted, I'd be far more analytical and tend to think in terms of "symmetry", "ratio nose-lips", "eye slant", and all these other things that make for a more "objective" standard of beauty.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    But an unfinished film is very unsatisfying.

It is.
    But after finishing Maleficent you'll feel like you've just eaten two Big Macs.
    You're full, but it didn't taste even a bit as nice as you imagined it would have beforehand, and you actually feel a bit nauseous and annoyed with yourself.
  10. yeah Splendid metaphor! cheesy