• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015
    Wolf Totem James

His second best score about wolves. (It is growing on me, and the best bit of 'Hunting The Wolves' packs the most punch for me. You know which bit I mean.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Wolf Totem James

His second best score about wolves. (It is growing on me, and the best bit of 'Hunting The Wolves' packs the most punch for me. You know which bit I mean.)

Yes, you mean the bit I just wrote this about in the review I'm working on: "...a sequence beginning around 110 seconds into the cue that is just the most wonderful Hollywood action music I’ve heard since Jerry Goldsmith was in his pomp..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015 edited
    I can imagine it's nothing short of incredible when put to the sorts of images the trailer shows. Wonderful music, brilliant film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Attack of the Clones - John Williams

If you take out the Zam and Jango v. Obi-Won action cues, the concert version of the love theme and The Arena what are you left with?

sleep

-Erik-

But that's nearly half an hour of music you've taken out. Any score with half an hour of good music isn't doing too badly for itself, is it?

Meh!

-Erik-

I actually sort of love the post-crawl opening music for Attack of the Clones despite its lack of appearance on album. That haunting little motif perfectly sets the tone for the old-fashioned mystery aura that Lucas was trying to achieve and mostly failed. My opinion of the score has improved over the years despite the film itself being unbelievably bad from most perspectives. I've never had so much fun mocking a film than I did with some friends watching it after we'd all already seen it multiple times and just wanted to have a laugh. Particularly the horribly acted mid-film love scenes. It's a shame because Hayden Christiansen showed in films like Life Is A House that he can be so much better than that. Anyway I'm really not sure what more Williams was supposed to do with that score. A bad film can only be propped up so much. That love theme for that absurd relationship was already a pretty big stretch. And Lucas seemed more and more intent on disrespecting Williams' creative intent by shuttling in temp track music as the trilogy went on. I'm impressed he tried as hard as he did. "Across The Stars" remains possibly the last emotionally flooring Williams theme of his career to this point. No, I'm wrong, I forgot about War Horse. shame

Hope Abrams and co. have the sense to let Williams do his thing and not be all like, "this scene is our homage to classic Star Wars scene X and you must ape it faithfully or I will just track the old music in!"
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's my least favourite Star Wars score. Which is to say it's one of my favourite scores.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Wolf Totem - James Horner

I don't know. I think I'm just burnt out on Horner. After a certain point, everything he writes sounds the same and it's never a sound that I had a special affinity for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Boo!
  1. Josh B wrote

I don't know. I think I'm just burnt out on Horner. After a certain point, everything he writes sounds the same and it's never a sound that I had a special affinity for.

If it is influenced significantly by his scores from the 1980s then it's one to hear.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B

If it is influenced significantly by his scores from the 1980s then it's one to hear.

It doesn't sound anything like his 80s scores. But since I have a fondness for that sound, I'm gonna put on Krull right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Josh B wrote

Some of it is, an added bonus if you will, but most of it is quite different by Horner's standards. (Which is not to denigrate Horner's standards, but there are many sections of this score you might not be able to tell are written by Horner.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, it's surprisingly fresh and different for being a Horner score. His time off may have been very good for him. And us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan James Horner

I'm extremely drunk and enjoying one of my favourite scores despite some dark news. I dedicate this listen to one of the best people I've never met. punk beer sad
  2. Steven wrote

I'm extremely drunk and enjoying one of my favourite scores despite some dark news. I dedicate this listen to one of the best people I've never met. punk beer sad

beer
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote

I'm sorry. I hope things get better for you. I was just there a few weeks ago sad

NP: The Scorpion King IV: Quest for Power - Geoff Zanelli

Much more entertaining than such a score by such a composer has any right to be. It has an awesome little power anthem that is a bit more creative than the standard RC fare. The theme plays rather a few too many times over the course of the album but there's sufficient variation to prevent it from becoming annoying and I'd rather composers err on the side of too many theme statements than the opposite, honestly.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B

Still on this. The action cues in particular are growing on me. And is it just me or does the middle of the finale (4:30-5:30ish) cue sound a *lot* like Chevaliers De Sangreal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    It'so raining today and my mood is a bit dark anyway so something to match it.
    NP: Bram Stoker's Dracula~ Wojciech Kilar
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. Josh B wrote

Still on this. The action cues in particular are growing on me. And is it just me or does the middle of the finale (4:30-5:30ish) cue sound a *lot* like Chevaliers De Sangreal?

Interesting, there is a bit of a "Zimmerish build-up" feeling to the way the theme is constructed, but I have to say, if anything, I rather hear Cameroon Border Post in that cue (that descending dramatic string motif, which in turn, had a bit of a Horner feel in the Zimmer/Lebo cue).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. I haven't heard Wolf Totem yet, but it wouldn't be the first time a bit in a Horner score reminded me of "Cameroon Border Post". 6:58-7:30 in "War" from Avatar always does as well. I mean, it doesn't really sound like "Cameroon Border Post" that much other than the string lines in the background, but it's pretty much the most Zimmerish sounding moment in Horner's career - and I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Penny Dreadful~Abel Korzeniowski

So good! I'm curious to see what he is going to do for Season 2.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

McAwesome choice!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    It's almost 11 o'clock and boy aren't I in trouble!!! Playing it really loud as a pick-me-up, drinking rakomelo for the cold (don't make me explain now, it's heavy stuff and I'm a bit dizzy) and I think The neighborhood is going to sue me!
    KRRRUUUULLLLL!!!! Thanks to the one who introduced me to this! hug

EDIT: Did I just admit I'm a bit drank?! Thorrrrr! You must be proud!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's great being "drank" -- on a Monday, even. Go Stavi! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I just googleded 'rakomelo'. Holy crap I want some.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I wish I could send you! Perhaps when I come to England in the summer I can bring you some. Great stuff! One problem though... it's soooo nice you don't realize how much you drink and it hits you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven do I make sense? Or am I ranting (not in the angry sense obviously)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You make eminent sense: you have just described the Screwdriver Effect.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    The what?! My brain is not working with it's usual speed and agility... Yeap I definitely have to drink some coffee...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep: coffee will increase your blood circulation and make the alcohol take effect that much faster. smile

A Screwdriver is an orange juice with wodka.
    Utterly lethal.
    You ingest an amount of alcohol enough to make you blindingly drunk before you start noticing anything. Once you start feeling something, it's way, WAY too late, and you're on a straight road down to puking, lying flat on the floor desperately hokding on to the earth to not fall off, incurably double-visioned inebriation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Good think I'm drinking water and not coffee then! I think that if you take into consideration that rakomelo consists of raki, which has more alcohol than vodka and honey what you descibe would be even worse. Lucky for me I'm just a tiny, bit dizzy, nothing more since I didn't drink that much... I just feel like the bed is moving a bit, some bumps on the floor perhaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, that's just normal earthquakes. Nothing to worry about.