• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. If you ask me, Williams' Prisoner of Azkaban is a work of genius. Not one to miss! The quidditch and 'Wamping Willow' tracks are beyond belief.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    The third score is probably the best out of all five, but I actually think Doyle's Goblet of Fire is the second best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    DazzledByYou wrote
    If you ask me, Williams' Prisoner of Azkaban is a work of genius. Not one to miss! The quidditch and 'Wamping Willow' tracks are beyond belief.

I heart the largest part of it but can't remember being so excited about it! wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    DazzledByYou wrote
    If you ask me, Williams' Prisoner of Azkaban is a work of genius. Not one to miss! The quidditch and 'Wamping Willow' tracks are beyond belief.

I heart the largest part of it but can't remember being so excited about it! wink

And I almost forgot... 'Buckbeak's Flight'. It's an absolute classic!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    I never said i judged the score without listening to it first. I never do that. It's just that in this case, it doesn't interest me at all.

Sounds like a judgement to me. shocked biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    Panthera wrote
    The third score is probably the best out of all five, but I actually think Doyle's Goblet of Fire is the second best.

Spot on! Almost every cue from PoA is fantastic (IMHO). 'The Story Continues', 'The Dark Mark', 'Golden Egg', 'Harry In Winter' and 'Voldemort' on GoF are awesome. The third best has to be Sorcerer's Stone, though so many highlights from the film are unreleased. The Chamber of Secrets score, IMO, doesn't stand out that much as compared to the rest as it is mostly a derivative of the first movie's score, though I like the tracks 'The Spiders' and 'Dueling the Basilisk' (the latter has a truly awesome choir!!). Order of the Phoenix is the weakest score of the three on CD IMO.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    Some potentially bad news score-wise for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...

... author Lois Lowry posted on her blog that David Yates was originally going to helm an adaptation of her novel The Giver after finishing Half-Blood Prince but decided to helm the final HP film, Deathly Hallows, instead. Now, it hasn't been denied/confirmed by Warner Brothers, but if it's true, it's only a matter of time. And if Yates is back, it inevitably means Hooper will be back.

I hope Yates knows that John Williams wants to finish out the series and lets him do it for the sake of continuity. Or have Hooper talk Yates into using Williams.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Bruce Broughton or John Williams. Either one would inject the right amount of 'magic' and cinematic quality these stories so sorely need. (Note I didn't say deserve. wink)

Bruce who?

slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    Some potentially bad news score-wise for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...

... author Lois Lowry posted on her blog that David Yates was originally going to helm an adaptation of her novel The Giver after finishing Half-Blood Prince but decided to helm the final HP film, Deathly Hallows, instead. Now, it hasn't been denied/confirmed by Warner Brothers, but if it's true, it's only a matter of time. And if Yates is back, it inevitably means Hooper will be back.

I hope Yates knows that John Williams wants to finish out the series and lets him do it for the sake of continuity. Or have Hooper talk Yates into using Williams.

Yep, I can see Hooper now, "Mr. Williams, I'd LOVE to do this $1000,000 job but I think it would be better if you took over".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
    Hey, Hooper DID say in a interview that John Williams is a far better composer than he is.

Still the situation could change. Yates might encounter a snag during filming and/or post-production of HBP and that might cause him to draw out of DH (he might want to take a break and do a smaller film instead) -- nothing's certain until Warner Brothers say so.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008 edited
    Any news about his latest score? Has it been recorded yet?
  4. It's recorded; fully I think.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    It's recorded; fully I think.

Then I hope they reject it fast
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Shouldn't we at least wait until the first audio clips are available before asking for a rejection?
  6. There were some of Hooper's tracks from his previous Harry Potter score that were worth hearing. Just because it wasn't John Williams. rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Thomas wrote
    Shouldn't we at least wait until the first audio clips are available before asking for a rejection?

trust me, I'm litteraly hoping he will prove me wrong, I'm truly hoping he shuts me up

But ...
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    If they rejected his score and allowed Williams or Doyle to replace it, we'd be better off for it. The Hooper score would probably get leaked or used in the video game, and then we'd have two for the price of one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    I doubt it's gonna be rejected, seeing Yates' collaboration with Hooper. I do hope it's better than the fifth, though (it wasn't bad, but IMO could've been much better).

But my fingers are crossed for maestro Williams for the final film(s)!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Hooper's score for the last film wasn't that bad. Williams' scores - especially for the first two films - were hardly masterpieces (probably his weakest film series). And Doyle's adventure scores all sound the same anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Hedwig´s Theme is fantastic, and Azkaban´s score was BRILLIANT. Beside that, I agree about everything you said.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    There were some of Hooper's tracks from his previous Harry Potter score that were worth hearing. Just because it wasn't John Williams. rolleyes

Were they on the CD release?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hedwig´s Theme is fantastic, and Azkaban´s score was BRILLIANT. Beside that, I agree about everything you said.

Indeed. If you look at it realistically, there's so little truly special material in those scores apart the main thematic elements and the Doyle effort moves around the same philosophy yet the Hooper one is buried way below. It always struck me how some people consider the series in general as the next LOTR or something but that i must say is strongly biased by my vivid Anti-Potter sentiments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Anti-Potter? How come?

I mean, HP is nothing like LOTR, although there are similar topics (coming of finding ones place in the world, etc.). I think HP will always have its special place in British literature, with new movie versions every few decades, but I don´t think it will keep its long-term status the way LOTR did. Some characters may remain a part of the public culture, like "you´re putting an Hermione here", but that´s it, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't know mate. I was never able to sit through an entire Potter film, neither one of them. It's definitely not my thingy.
  9. Ever read a book? The movies are WAY below the quality of the actual texts they are based upon, mainly due to lack of depth (because there simply isn´t enough time).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i haven't read a book but i can assure you it's not of the stuff that i'd ever put on my list to read wink Not a big fan of books either i must admit shame
  10. I understand. The books are ridiculously more detailed, much more fun, and the characters psyche is much better and deeply explored. You really care for those characters, that´s what makes it so special. And the way the riddles and hints are presented is simply stunning.

Regarding to optcal and atmospheric details, the movies really "get it", but some of the teachers and adult characters are insanely wrong casted.

May I ask, IF you read, WHAT do you read?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Read a lot of Umberto Eco which i own too, dostoyevsky , Kafka, Victor Hugo.