• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009 edited
    That's it. I am never reading a sentence based on acronyms again. Doctor advised against it 'cause my acronymitis gets worse each and every passing day.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    Despite your acronymitis, my hands do get tired of typing out the very long titles of the movies. Would Harry Potter [insert number] do for you?

On another note, both the U.S. and UK web site opens with some snippets of Hooper's score for the sixth film. Some foreboding music as the page loads, and another arrangement of "Hedwig's Theme" (Hooper really likes using the softer instruments and those lingering strings).
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    The Leaky Cauldron confirms that there will be a soundtrack release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but there's no set date for it yet.

You can view the cover art here. A nice and simple design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I can't wait!

Oh, no, I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sometimes the composers' second efforts are better than the first, so I'm looking forward to this one. Hooper definitely has talent even if he isn't up to the standards set by JW and so I'll definitely check out what he's done here.

But seriously, I want JW back for the final movie(s).
  1. Matt C wrote
    The Leaky Cauldron confirms that there will be a soundtrack release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but there's no set date for it yet.

You can view the cover art here. A nice and simple design.

yay, if it's a stinker as his first, I got another coaster for putting my drinks on it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Jesus,he's not Tyler Bates guys.
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote

oh man, will you quit harrasing a composer who actually has the skills?

yikes, whatsemesa saying (quoting Jar Jar Binks)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote

At least Bates has given us several high-profile scores to enable us to conclude that he's rubbish. With Hooper, it's only one.

Someone said on Filmus-L that the orchestrators have a lot to do on this one.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009
    Hooper has some talent, he's just probably better off composing for more BBC-made-for-TV productions. I enjoyed his score for the fifth movie, it just lacked that sense of power and dense orchestration Williams and Doyle used for their scores.

But some people are looking back on Hooper's score like it was last year's Iron Man. Please, Hooper has more talent in his finger than Djawadi or Bates combined but even then he just can't compare to the brilliance of Williams' music.

And James, the score for the sixth movie was recorded in late summer/early fall as it was originally supposed to come out last Thanksgiving. The film has been complete since then, but like Paramount and Star Trek Warners is sitting on it so it makes more money in the summer.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009
    Nicholas Hooper has a lot to live up to by following in the footsteps of John Williams and Patrick Doyle. The 5th score was decent, but in my opinion, he did not rise to the occasion. I'm really curious about the 6th score, and although I'm hoping for the best, I doubt it will compare to the first 4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009 edited
    Hooper definitely has talent because it takes talent to write cues like Flight Of The Order Of The Phoenix, Professor Umbridge, Dumbledore's Army and Room Of Requirement. But his music is too much like for a TV show, it does not have the power and emotional brilliance Williams' and Doyle's had. Like James said in a previous post, where the emotional level was high and needed to be emphasized by the music (eg: in the "Possession" track's scene) Hooper was just pressing the right keys and nothing else, there was no strong theme or melody to enhance the already emotionally powerful scene and the whole thing felt flat. This kind of thing JW would have elevated to brilliant levels and IMO it was a great missed opportunity.
  3. I just hope he gives us a good score
    the last one didn't help, albeit I was really surprised to discover how little action there actually as in the 5th movie!!!!

Man, the trailer summed all action up in 2 minutes
    ah well, here's hoping it turns out for the best
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009 edited
    Amazon says the soundtrack will be released on July 7th - http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Bloo … amp;sr=1-2

No tracklist yet though.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I just hope he gives us a good score
    the last one didn't help, albeit I was really surprised to discover how little action there actually as in the 5th movie!!!!

Well the last fight scene doesn't have any music, but I wasn't particularly fond of what action music there was to begin with. None of it was bad... I just got spoiled listening to John Williams and Patrick Doyle.
  4. Panthera wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I just hope he gives us a good score

Well the last fight scene doesn't have any music, but I wasn't particularly fond of what action music there was to begin with. None of it was bad... I just got spoiled listening to John Williams and Patrick Doyle.

for me the entire score was a light dissapointment, there was little action but even his underscore wasn't that good

like you, I was spoiled by the magic of both Doyle and Williams
    ah, here's his chance to redo that mistake
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

They've added quite a few new action scenes in the new movie, I wonder how he's scored them. If it's anything like the previous one then I'll be seriously disappointed because this stuff JW and even Doyle would've made really exciting and bombastic.

I think they'll be announcing the composer for the final film anytime now because filming has already begun and a lot of casting has been done. Fingers crossed for JW.
  5. DemonStar wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

They've added quite a few new action scenes in the new movie, I wonder how he's scored them. If it's anything like the previous one then I'll be seriously disappointed because this stuff JW and even Doyle would've made really exciting and bombastic.

I think they'll be announcing the composer for the final film anytime now because filming has already begun and a lot of casting has been done. Fingers crossed for JW.

90% it is Hooper, even if the music sucks big time
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009 edited
    I will not watch the movie in theatre if Hooper is back. Period.

Heck, I won't even buy the DVD. I will borrow from some friend, watch and return.
  6. DemonStar wrote

Heck, I won't even buy the DVD. I will borrow from some friend, watch and return.

I'm not going to watch the 6th and 7th film either in theatre, rent it when I can
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I probably can't watch it in theatre here anyway because these days the guys here are playing Hindi dubbed versions only in the hall. And I loathe those!

I will buy the DVD though, only if John Williams is back. wink
  7. DemonStar wrote
    I probably can't watch it in theatre here anyway because these days the guys here are playing Hindi dubbed versions only in the hall. And I loathe those!

I will buy the DVD though, only if John Williams is back. wink

well, I hope for both our sakes then that he will return to finish the story
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I'm not going to watch the 6th and 7th film either in theatre, rent it when I can

Hear that Warner Brothers? People do care.
  8. Yates said that there is an option to get Williams back for Deathly Hallows, didn't he?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    I read that somewhere too, but it hasn't been officially confirmed so I guess it's a rumour. We'll find out soon enough though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009
    CD COVER for the new Harry Potter score CD:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 … SS500_.jpg
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    vomit

It's all so...CGI-y.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I was personally never into the whole Harry Crapper thingy and i couldn't care less to tell you the truth, especially since John Williams abandoned the project. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Aside from Hannigan's game scores, I haven't heard the music or watched the films to any non-Williams ones.
  9. Anthony wrote
    vomit

It's all so...CGI-y.

the only thing wrong with it is the name of Hooper on that cover