• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Message understood. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    I am quite a big fan of the books, but I was somewhat disappointed by the last one. Though the opening and ending was good, I cannot help but think most of it was a lazy effort. I haven't read the books for quite a while.

Speaking of the movies, I liked the third and fourth ones the most. My order of liking of the scores is -

Prisoner of Azkaban > Goblet of Fire > Philosopher's Stone > Chamber of Secrets > Order of the Phoenix
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    ...Sorcerer's Stone...

You spelled 'Philosopher's' wrong. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Read a lot of Umberto Eco which i own too, dostoyevsky , Kafka, Victor Hugo.

JK is definitely lightweight in that company.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    ...Sorcerer's Stone...

biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    ...Sorcerer's Stone...

LOL, I was going to write that and then changed it to Sorcerer's!! I always get confused over this one tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    HARRY POTTER is well-written for its audience, but it's really too lightweight and, if you'll excuse me, "childish" for me. I'm with Demetris here. However, there are more "mainstream" authors that I think have a higher literary quality. Stephen King, for example, a very visceral writer who knows how to build sentences, tempo and to set up moods for plot in a way that becomes incredibly suspenseful. He's the master there. Neither Poe nor Lovecraft manage this to the same degree.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Bring back Richard Nixon! erm... I mean Patrick Doyle.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    HARRY POTTER is well-written for its audience, but it's really too lightweight and, if you'll excuse me, "childish" for me. I'm with Demetris here. However, there are more "mainstream" authors that I think have a higher literary quality. Stephen King, for example, a very visceral writer who knows how to build sentences, tempo and to set up moods for plot in a way that becomes incredibly suspenseful. He's the master there. Neither Poe nor Lovecraft manage this to the same degree.

I haven't read any JK Rowling ( though Mel tried and gave up, she didn't like the writing at all ) but if it get's kids interested in reading I'm all for it.

And Thor, you should check out Clive Barker's WEAVEWORLD, the fantasy/horror book that blew Stephen King's mind.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    KevinSmith wrote
    Bring back Richard Nixon! erm... I mean Patrick Doyle.

And yeah, if not Williams then Doyle would be great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008 edited
    Not only that but someone recently told me that James Newton Howard would be doing the next movie! Guess those were false hopes.... cry

As for Harry Potter the franchise itself, I think it's all about creating a tapestry of characters that focuses on their relations with each other and planting the seed to let readers speculate and have fun with those relations beyond the books.

Dostoyevsky, Kafka and King are masters at what they do, and Rowling can't claim to be on that same particular level, but that just isn't her style! She makes no contention about it. And yet they can barely keep up with her as far as her style is concerned. Rowling knows how to entertain and create the kind of tapestry I described. And not just children. In fact much of the depth of her character relations is lost on children, who'll usually focus solely on the character of Harry.

Well that's what I think. Just trying to give Rowling some of the credit I think she deserves.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Antineutrino wrote
    Hooper's score for the last film wasn't that bad. Williams' scores - especially for the first two films - were hardly masterpieces (probably his weakest film series). And Doyle's adventure scores all sound the same anyway.
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hedwig´s Theme is fantastic, and Azkaban´s score was BRILLIANT. Beside that, I agree about everything you said.

Indeed. If you look at it realistically, there's so little truly special material in those scores apart the main thematic elements and the Doyle effort moves around the same philosophy yet the Hooper one is buried way below.

shocked

While the first two scores aren't masterpieces (Philosopher's Stone is way over scored) but there is more to Williams, Doyle's and even Hooper's efforts then you are giving them credit for. Yes, there is Hedwig's Theme but to only signal out that as the only memorable theme is ridiculous. "Harry Wonderous World" plays in important role, there's Longbottom's theme (which is integrated into the track called "Hedwig's Theme" - which is way calling that track "Hedwig's Theme" is ridiculous), Voldemort's sinister theme which is a sister theme to The Emperor's theme from Return of the Jedi. It's use in Chamber of Secrets is brilliant! And while "The Quidditch Match" is partly re-used material from The Lost World, the other action oriented piece, "The Chess Game," is one of the finest Williams has written in the past 10 years.

We then move onto Chamber of Secrets and what's on the album is simply delightful. From the concert arrangements of the score's three new themes... "Fawkes The Phoenix" - which is absolutely brilliant, and is returned to in heroic fashion in "Duelling the Basilisk." The Chamber of Secrets theme is mysterious and sadly underused in the final film. "Gilderory Lockhart's" theme is the major disappointment because of it's "No Ticket" origins.

The rest of the score plays out wonderfully and the action material is thunderous. A style that I wish Williams returned to for Crystal Skull. These action cues take me back to Temple of Doom. Thematic, blood pumping material. And the re-do of the "Harry's Wondrous World" finale out does the original.

We all seem to agree on the brilliance of the best score of the series, Azkaban, so I won't go there.

Doyle's effort for Goblet of Fire, while a departure from the Williams sound and not as technically brilliant still has it's magical highlights. Doyle got to score the best film of the series so far and gave the film gorgeous and inspired new theme "Harry in Winter" being the score's major highlight. The exciting and heroic music for "The Golden Egg" is some of the best action material Doyle has ever written. His Voldermort material is stunning, although not using Williams pre-existing theme, was a mistake. And the Death of Cedric brings a tear to your eye. As mentioned previously, I would welcome Doyle's return if Williams was unable to do so.

As for Hooper and Order of the Phoenix... I was not impressed with the score as a whole but he did manage to create some lovely and memorable themes, especially "Dumbledore's Army" which played magnificently in the film. "Professor Umbridge's" theme is also underrated. "Flight of the Order of the Phoenix" also took me by surprise in the film.

So, IMHO, these score are pretty darn good. LOTR quality... no, why compare, but for the most part they are really well done.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There were some of Hooper's tracks from his previous Harry Potter score that were worth hearing. Just because it wasn't John Williams. rolleyes

Were they on the CD release?

Yes they were!

Looking through my mp3 tracks I see that I have 5 tracks:

Professor Umbridge
    Another Story
    Dumbledore's Army
    The Sirius Deception
    Flight of the Order of the Phoenix
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Well, okay then...

Part 1: Love Hedwig´s Theme, HATE Harry´s Wondrous DisneyWorld. The Voldemort Theme is so absolutely not on par with the Emperor´s Theme. I love, however, those more quiet moments like the mirror scene or the christmas scene.

Part 2: Somehow I tend to end the spinning after the first three or four tracks. They are great. The rest is stuff I can´t wait to zap forward.

Part 3: I absolutely adore the thematic material and the quiet and slightly suspenseful moments. Some of the action stuff is the best in the series, some is not. The Knight Bus works in the movie, but I NEVER ever listen to it on the album.

Part 4: Harry in Winter. And that´s it. Although I hate that its use meant Williams´ brilliant family theme wasn´t reused.

Part 5: A lot of fantastic ideas, but I wish they would have been developed slightly further. But I like it a lot more than Doyle´s score. And the action stuff was brilliant for my ears (I know I´m alone on this).

Part 6: More of 5. I guess. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Part 5: A lot of fantastic ideas, but I wish they would have been developed slightly further. But I like it a lot more than Doyle´s score. And the action stuff was brilliant for my ears (I know I´m alone on this).

Not alone. I too really enjoyed Hooper's action material. The ridiculous simplicity of it was a fresh change, but it wasn't so simple as to sound generic. It really worked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
  5. mas.
  6. cheer!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    The action music is horrible compared to William's and Doyle's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My favourite tracks from the series -

* Hedwig's Theme - Of course!
    * The Quidditch Match - Amazing action music!
    * The Chess Game - The snare-driven stuff is awesome!
    * Fawkes the Phoenix - Hats off to maestro Williams.
    * Dueling The Basilisk - The BIG choir!!
    * Buckbeak's Flight - One of the best flying themes ever.
    * A Window To The Past - Absolutely gorgeous, one of my most favourite tracks ever!
    * Mischief Managed - Nice suite of themes
    * The Story Continues - What a chilly, dark opening track!
    * The Dark Mark - Fantastic action music. Doyle's new Voldemort motif gave me chills!
    * Golden Egg - THE best action track of the GoF album!
    * Harry In Winter - Very beautiful
    * Voldemort - The wonderful finale of the track gave me goosebumps!
    * Professor Umbridge - Very fun stuff!
    * Dumbledore's Army - Very fitting theme
    * Flight of the Order of the Phoenix - My favourite track from the album
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    :yawn:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. indeed, yawn's the right word for Hooper, average at best

it did barely something for the movie, but I wasn't too enthusiast about the movie as well, I hope the next movie is better and that it inspires Hooper to write something wonderful

Amaze me Hooper tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    He has potential. Moments of his last score were excellent. If only he could maintain that level of quality throughout the entire movie.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    I liked Hooper's score for OOTP, but it could've been way better. I hope that for HBP, he'll use a bit more of Williams' themes and try some complex writing. Simplicity is good, but it varies with the composer involved.

Again, I pray that WB "suggests" to Yates that he use Williams for the two-part finale. It'd be a nice gesture to the fans and Williams that he gets the chance to finish up what he started with SS/PS.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    Filming for the final HP started today.

I guess it's a matter of time before Warners issues a press statement confirming Hooper's involvement with the final two films. sad
  8. Matt C wrote

I guess it's a matter of time before Warners issues a press statement confirming Hooper's involvement with the final two films. sad

I hope it is to state they finally hired non deaf people to grade whether or not the score should be rejected
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Matt C wrote

I hope it is to state they finally hired non deaf people to grade whether or not the score should be rejected

rolleyes

I think there are made much worse choices on other films with great opportunities.
    Kazoo
  9. Bregt wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Matt C wrote

rolleyes

I think there are made much worse choices on other films with great opportunities.

perhaps, but that doesn't mean the people who don't like must accept it so easily
    Make War, Terrorize and create mayhem crazy

wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    Erik Woods wroteDoyle got to score the best film of the series so far and gave the film gorgeous and inspired new theme "Harry in Winter" being the score's major highlight.

Uh, no. GOF had many problems, mainly with condensing the lengthy book down into a cohesive 2 1/2 hour film -- many of the omissions made did help the movie, but Kloves was either too enamored with some sections or didn't a good rewrite to help better pace the sections in between the tournament (and Hermione was written way out of character too). The direction and acting were sound, but I personally thought that the script needed more polishing to make it more smoother.

OOTP was the best adapted HP film -- far more omissions than GOF, but the new screenwriter did a much better job than Kloves at reducing the book down into a cohesive story that followed the general storyline of the book without being slavish or missing the spirit of the book entirely (and finally did justice to Ron and Hermione's characters). It helped that Goldenberg didn't have a big desire to amp up Hermione's character, and it was paced really well. And Imelda Staunton was the PERFECT Umbridge, bar none.

POA and OOTP are by far the best HP films in the franchise. Depending on how Yates leavened Kloves for HBP and DH, it's very possible that those can turn out better than the five before it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    Well, I haven't read the books so I have no issue with adaptation. I thought GOF was the best all around Potter film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!