• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015
    A LITLLE CHAOS | peter gregson

Little lovely score that is a bit boring here and there, but I think a very neat album can made out of it. Near the end, A Little Chaos, is one of my favourite tracks of the year. So joyous and full of spirit and love. Makes me happy!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited
    Supernova by Olivier Deriviere is my favourite cue of the year. I'll also take the Love Theme from Far From The Madding Crowd, The Competition from Paper Planes, The Shadow Chase from Jupiter Ascending, Pin-Ultimate Experience from Tommorrowland, Return to the Wild from Wolf Totem, and Pumpkin Pursuit from Cinderella over anything in Jurassic World.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I have an awful memory, as evidenced by most things I post, and yes come to think of it Deriviere's Supernova theme is bloody brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Killing Season - Christopher Young

Very mellow, pastoral music, beautifully arranged for album. Hard to believe that it began life as accompaniment for an already-forgotten Robert de Niro / John Travolta action film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't quite make sense of all the things you're saying about this score in relation to the sort of film it accompanies? How is any of this possible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's something to do with midichlorians.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bulworth - E Morricone

Another thoughtfully-produced album for my listening pleasure. Just two tracks this time. Great music.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015
    Tarzan - David Newman

Very good really - lively, thematic and keeping me interested the whole way.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Cape - Bear McCreary

Never been a fan of this composer - particular his relentlessly one-note Battlestar Galactica scores - but this, I have to admit, is fantastic. Hardly a dull cue in over 2 hours of consistently strong material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015 edited
    David OC wrote
    ....particular his relentlessly one-note Battlestar Galactica scores -

uhm

The fuck?!?!? One-note Battlestar scores? What EXACTLY does that mean?

confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I love these scores. Also Richard Gibb's score from the mini series. McCreary's score from the final episode "Daybreak" is among my favourite SF scores. I love to pair it with Stu Phillips "Saga From A Star World".

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

Sometimes you've just got to listen to Total Recall and this is one of those times. My favourite action score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Ipcress File - John Barry

Not quite as cool as Bond but so close. I feel like I'm in a 60's conspiracy thriller whenever this comes on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited
    Anthony wrote
    The Ipcress File - John Barry

Not quite as cool as Bond but so close. I feel like I'm in a 60's conspiracy thriller whenever this comes on.

An excellent film, very much of its time, the cold war, that's perfectly scored. Barry did multiple variations of the theme for the album not heard in the film.

JB was so damned creative during this period. ( Brilliant use of the cimbalom that became so influential, Barry himself was influenced by the use of the Zither in The Third Man )

Head of MI5 Stella Rimmington considered this film's Harry Palmer second only to John Le Carre's George Smiley as regards accuracy of the real lives of secret agents, she totally dismisses Bond but that's hardly a surprise, it's a bit like saying Indiana Jones represents archeologists wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015
    Southall wrote

Sometimes you've just got to listen to Total Recall and this is one of those times. My favourite action score.

Mine too! IMO only James Horner comes close to brilliant action scoring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

You're drunk, right?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

You're drunk, right?

-Erik-

Yup!

I missed out John Williams, right? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And Silvestri, Powell, Beltrami, Arnold, and Junkie XL. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    And Silvestri, Powell, Beltrami, Arnold.

-Erik-

All second tier composers compared to the other three.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's not the point. Silvestri, Arnold, Powell and Beltrami write brilliant action music sometimes better than the top teir composers.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    True.

I'm very fussy when it comes to action music which is most definitely not my favourite style of film score. The brilliance of scores like Total Recall or Starship Troopers are exceptions with me rather than the rule.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Fair enough. Total Recall and Starship are definitely near the top of the list of all time great actioners.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I don't really look forward to the majority of action scores these days. I like my action music to be melodic and packed with emotion, which Goldsmith and Horner excelled/excel at, and with the right project, Newton Howard and Powell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    I don't really look forward to the majority of action scores these days. I like my action music to be melodic and packed with emotion, which Goldsmith and Horner excelled/excel at, and with the right project, Newton Howard and Powell.

I agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love action music, though all I ask is it's interesting. I think limiting it to just melodic and emotional is, well, limiting. The Matrix is a great example of action music that is neither (and there are countless others).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I love action music, though all I ask is it's interesting. I think limiting it to just melodic and emotional is, well, limiting. The Matrix is a great example of action music that is neither (and there are countless others).

Just when I thought I'd agreed....I go and agree again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speaking of...

Air Force One Jerry Goldsmith

One of the best. The hijacking scene is a masterclass of exciting, militaristic action scoring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    On form no one can touch JG for action music, not before or since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Being the Goldsmith nut I am, I want to agree... but I dunno, there are some pretty great action scores/cues out there not written by Goldsmith. Seems a mite OTT to say nothing has come close?

You already mentioned just such a score: Starship Troopers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Desert Chase and The Asteroid Field, IMO, is where Williams set the bar for action music.

NP: Obsession - Bernard Herrmann

I normally don't like to listen to complete Bernard Herrmann scores but this is absolutely breathtaking. Right up there with his masterwork, Vertigo. Great performance by the City of Prague Philharmonic and Chorus led by conductor Nic Raine. The sonics on this album are OUTSTANDING. I'm still in awe that this is the same orchestra that released so many duds in the 90's and early 2000's. This is EASILY 2015's best NEW recording of an existing score and one of the finest recordings released by Tadlow!

An essential recording for any serious film music fan!

-Erik-