• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Viva Zapata! - Alex North

Inspired by the Varese Club release of the original tracks from this score I thought I'd throw this masterpiece on which was conducted by Jerry Goldsmith and performed by the RSNO. Gorgeous melodies and inventive rhythms. "Gathering Forces" is easily one of the greatest film music compositions of all time! Superb stuff!

Unfortunately, I will not be purchasing the new Varese release. If I had the money I would. This is the first time in a long time that I want ALL the Varese Club releases. Sad times.

-Erik-

NP: Symphonic Hollywood - Lee Holdridge and Miklos Rozsa
    The Nurnberger Symphoniker Conducted by Richard Kaufman

An interesting compilation album featuring film and concert work by the underrated Lee Holdridge and the legendary Miklos Rozsa.

The album opens with selections by Holdridge including East of Eden, Beauty and the Beast, El Pueblo del Sol, 16 Days of Glory, Elegy for Harp and Strings and a 3 track suite from a gorgeous concert work called Scenes of Summer. The album ends with Rozsa's Concerto For Viola And Orchestra op. 37 which I'm not familiar with but I am looking forward to it!

If you love lyrical, melodic music then the Holdridge material will be worth checking out.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    NP: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Michael Kamen

A modern day classic. The rousing and swashbuckling main theme is instantly recognizable. The love theme, based on the song co-composed with Bryan Adams is perfect. The action material is splendid. I love every moment of this score. Too bad we can't get a complete version of this. The incredible and lengthy final battle music has to be made available. Too bad it just fades away on this release.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008 edited
    NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams

Someone sent me the last 6 minutes of "The Well of the Souls" music which was only made available on the DCC LP. You know, with this added track the album now plays out to a total of 79:31. Everything that was on the LP could have easily been included on the CD. I wonder why it wasn't? And why in the hell did they press an LP?

Anyway, there's about 2-3 minutes of unreleased music still to be discovered to make this a complete release but these added 6 minutes, which has been renamed "Recovering the Ark" by my friend, is a Godsend and has made this film score fan a very happy puppy dog! The Ark theme performed by racing strings after Belloc says "You would use a bulldozer to find a china cup" is absolutely spine tingling. I've been wanting to hear that version of theme away from the film for a long, long time.

Anyway, I really hope Williams returns to the Raiders and Temple style of composing for his score to Crystal Skull. I find the lightheartedness of Last Crusade to be a bit distraction. The almost dead serious tone of Raiders and even Temple made the music more enjoyable and films a bit more believable. I don't want to hear anything like "Keeping Up With The Joneses." Thank God that track was rejected in the final film. And I hope they don't take a page out of Last Crusade and tone down the heroics with less of the Raiders theme.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is... MORE RAIDERS MARCH!

-Erik-

PS - With that all being said the most lighthearted cue from the entire Indy saga is in Raiders -- "The Basket Game" So, what do I know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I love the cue "Recovering the Ark" as you call it. I re-edited my Raiders album a few years back with that cue included. It has equal sound quallity to the official cd too! But yes, why was it omitted from the official cd release? They didn't need to include the truncated Raiders March at the beginning of the cd . Using up precious score space there! Still, what a score! It's still in my top 3 soundtracks of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP - An Unfinished Life - Christopher Young (the VS release)

Excellent, easy-going music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2008
    NP:Revenge of the sith

The first track is so terrific....with the force theme in his militaristic version, and then the infective Grievious theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Mine car chase (temple of the doom)

The Bad guy motif is addictive.....in the top 20 williams action tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2008 edited
    I was drepessed (or depresing), but Friend Zimmer is here to make a good day!

NP:Dead Man's chest End Credits

It's a shit, but it's a crazy, bizarre, synthetic, noisy cool shit!

Why He didn't put DAvey Jones Organ version like this, in the realeased cd??
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote

Because... it's a shit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    BobdH wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Because... it's a shit?

Because our cultural and rational taste for the music, define this thing like " a cool shit"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah! So it's the shit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Martian Child - Aaron Zigman

There are some lovely gentle piano/string/synth passages in this score (David's Concern, Flomar Dies, Remembering Mary) but other than that, it isn't worth the length of the album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : APOLLO 31 - James Horner

Great stuff! cool

p.s. Steven, this is the last time I pull this old stunt....it's gotten old shame wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Apollo 23? Huh?

Anyway, I'm listening to The Taking of Pelham 4-5-6 - David Shire

Actually, I'm not, I'm listening to A Far Off Place by J Horner, which is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: 102 Dalmations - David Newman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Logan's Run - Jerry Goldsmith

Now this is what I call a classic. "The Monument" - wow, one of JG's masterpieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Legend of Butch and Sundance - BP

Basil, you're missed
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    BobdH wrote
    NP: 102 Dalmations - David Newman

What's it like? Typical Newman comedy scoring?

Anyway, NP - Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone

I've only seen the film once, and haven't owned the score until recently. It's surprising how memorable a lot of it is. Even on first listen (considering I saw the film when it first came out) I could remember all the themes and motifs. The second half is a bit too dark for my liking, but cues like The Quiddich Match and Hedwigs Theme are great. Not Williams's best but one of the better for sure. cheesy
  1. Southall wrote

Now this is what I call a classic. "The Monument" - wow, one of JG's masterpieces.

I really like some of the stark chase music about halfway through the album too. Piano and string quartet is too rarely used for such scenes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Viva Zapata! - Alex North

Inspired by the Varese Club release of the original tracks from this score I thought I'd throw this masterpiece on which was conducted by Jerry Goldsmith and performed by the RSNO. Gorgeous melodies and inventive rhythms. "Gathering Forces" is easily one of the greatest film music compositions of all time! Superb stuff!

Unfortunately, I will not be purchasing the new Varese release. If I had the money I would. This is the first time in a long time that I want ALL the Varese Club releases. Sad times.

-Erik-

NP: Symphonic Hollywood - Lee Holdridge and Miklos Rozsa
    The Nurnberger Symphoniker Conducted by Richard Kaufman

An interesting compilation album featuring film and concert work by the underrated Lee Holdridge and the legendary Miklos Rozsa.

The album opens with selections by Holdridge including East of Eden, Beauty and the Beast, El Pueblo del Sol, 16 Days of Glory, Elegy for Harp and Strings and a 3 track suite from a gorgeous concert work called Scenes of Summer. The album ends with Rozsa's Concerto For Viola And Orchestra op. 37 which I'm not familiar with but I am looking forward to it!

If you love lyrical, melodic music then the Holdridge material will be worth checking out.

-Erik-

I just bought this SYMPHONIC HOLLYWOOD album. What a coincidence!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    Southall wrote

That's what I call "game boy" or "spectrum" music. It's really, really annoying listen this score.

Anyway...I love composers being creative and crazy!

NP:Revenge of the Sith

Wow I said I can't consider it a Star Wars score, but it's one of the most interesting scores from Williams

Much more darker, agressive and almost operistic score.

Palpatine's teaching or Padme's ruminations are 2 cues where Williams at last tries something new.

The Grievious theme is so addictive! beer and "the birth of the twins.." so magic and tragic at the same time.. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    NP - Call Of Duty

I need a Giacchino fix at least 7 times a week... but this is getting old. We need new noise from him! crazy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    The Grievious theme is so addictive!

Best. Action. Cue. Ever. If anyone knows of any cues that sound really similar to the Utapau chase cue then let me know. I'll give you beer. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Warhawk - Christopher Lennertz

It's very much in the Medal Of Honor style and I'm not complaining!

Love it! Great powerhouse action cues. Stiring main theme. Awesome fun!

I've always enjoyed Lennertz. A very good composer indeed!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've been planning to get that score for a while. Chris is hopefully sending me some music but that's not included. slant Is it only available on iTunes? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Atham wrote
    Warhawk - Christopher Lennertz

It's very much in the Medal Of Honor style and I'm not complaining!

Love it! Great powerhouse action cues. Stiring main theme. Awesome fun!

I've always enjoyed Lennertz. A very good composer indeed!

I coludn´t agree more. A GREAT score, an addictive main theme, strong action writing and perfect lenght. Another Lennertz winner punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Woah! Have been having that for quite a while now but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, must do so asap!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Woah! Have been having that for quite a while now but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, must do so asap!

shocked
    Do it! Do it right now!
    Of course, play it loud, very loud wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

I lovely yet rather simple score with some noble themes, romantic passages and heroic action cues. The last cue on the album is the highlight bringing together all of the scores major ideas into one gigantic almost 10 minute finale.

-Erik-

PS - I'll throw my vote in for Warhawk as well... however, I do find that the latter half of the album is far superior to the first half which is irritatingly repetitive!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SIGNS - James Newton Howard

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt