• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPat
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    Death Becomes Her - Alan Silvestri

First listen. I haven't heard much by Silvestri, so I'm busy changing that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008 edited
    JuPe wrote
    NP: Planet of the Apes - Danny Elfman

The best score Elfman has composed in the 21st century.

Id' put Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and Big Fish ahead of Planet of the Apes... but what a mian title cue. Excellent stuff!

JuPe wrote
    ...maybe the best action tracks Elfman has ever written.

I don't know about that. There's some mindblowing action material in Batman, Mission: Impossible, and Spider Man... just to name a few... that are miles ahead of any of the action writing in Apes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Pat wrote
    Death Becomes Her - Alan Silvestri

First listen. I haven't heard much by Silvestri, so I'm busy changing that.

Sucks that you have to start off with one of the weakest scores in the Silvestri/Zemeckis collaboration. Great end title piece though.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Les Aiguilles Rouges ( The Red Needles) - Frederick Talgorn

Part John Williams part modern classical in style.

Does he have his own style though? Oh yes he does! No doubt about it.

Seriously Talgorn is an (relatively) unkown 'giant' amongs todays film composers.

After hearing this (and Asterix) I'm sure he could have scored Harry Potter perfectly.

I'd love to see him get a future Star Wars project too! He'd nail the Williams sound perfectly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008 edited
    I'm currently trying to survive the aftermath of possibly the worst house party I have ever attended by listening to:

NP: Duma - John Debney and George Acogny

Ahhh, soothing. Man, there'll be a headache later on though. Full on drunk bastard.

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    First listen, LEE DONG-JUNE - Taegukgi (Brotherhood)

omg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008
    ^ Is this a "oh my god I like it?" wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Completely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Hey mate I´m so glad you like it! kiss
    I remember I bought the cd in yesasia (with three more scores from him) before watching the movie and I totally loved it since minute one. And even more after watching the splendid movie it scores.
    You may hear more of Lee in the future wink

http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/review.asp?ID=5522
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Band Of Brothers | Michael Kamen

Admittedly the best parts about this album are the first three tracks, so it's tempting to end it at that. But the rest is certainly a worthy listen too, especially if you've seen the fantastic 'films' the music was set to. Brilliant stuff!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Road To Hill 30 - Stephen Harwood

I really like this. Nothing close to the fun of the Medal Of Honor scores, but it's got a nice main theme and some pretty decent orchestration. "Purple Heart Lane" is heartbreaking. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

"The Egg Travels" comes up... that's what I call music, man! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Band Of Brothers | Michael Kamen

Admittedly the best parts about this album are the first three tracks, so it's tempting to end it at that. But the rest is certainly a worthy listen too, especially if you've seen the fantastic 'films' the music was set to. Brilliant stuff!

Easily the best Kamen score as far as i am concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I do agree all the way about Band of Brothers. Wonderful score. So heartbreaking that Kamen left as so soon. sad

I'm in the mood for something more uplifting!So "give me that horizon!"
    NP "The Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" ~ Klaus Badelt

Yeap!Feel like a sea trip punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lost In Space | Bruce Broughton

A reason among many why this is one of my top 10 scores is the fact that I can completely immerse myself in the score throughout the entire listen, it's pure escapism - which is what I think film music is mostly about, and certainly where it beats all other music (in that respect at least).
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    George and the Dragon | Gast Waltzing

This has really, really grown on me. "Coming Home", "Search Loona", "Battle of the Pics", "George and the King", "Meet Princess", "Monastery" and "Love" are just beautiful, with the orchestra either playing off each other or providing counterpoints to superb effect. And the action pieces are wonderful too, but my only quibble with the score is the drums and electronic percussion to represent the villains feels out of place. Still, quite a score worth seeking out.

Island of Lost Souls | Jane Antonia Cornish

Still one of my favorite scores of 2007, my recent listen to it just makes me think Cornish really went over-the-top in the score in some sections. It is still a magnificent and overwhelming work, just that the brass and woodwinds are working way overtime in "Escape through the Forest" and "Richard to the Rescue"
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Matt C wrote
    George and the Dragon | Gast Waltzing

This has really, really grown on me. "Coming Home", "Search Loona", "Battle of the Pics", "George and the King", "Meet Princess", "Monastery" and "Love" are just beautiful, with the orchestra either playing off each other or providing counterpoints to superb effect. And the action pieces are wonderful too, but my only quibble with the score is the drums and electronic percussion to represent the villains feels out of place. Still, quite a score worth seeking out.

Island of Lost Souls | Jane Antonia Cornish

Still one of my favorite scores of 2007, my recent listen to it just makes me think Cornish really went over-the-top in the score in some sections. It is still a magnificent and overwhelming work, just that the brass and woodwinds are working way overtime in "Escape through the Forest" and "Richard to the Rescue"

Yes. Both scores are quite magnificent in places.

I agree about the heavy brass work in Lost Souls. Relentless but brilliant nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Lord Pirate of Singapore

only 6 minutes are enought to makes you think The Last Samurai is a crap
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

Thanks for sharing that with us. Again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Thanks for sharing that with us. Again.

You are welcome

NP:Lost Season 3 Rips

"Kate and Sawyer returns" and "funeral pyre and Jack sails with the others" beer

-"He wakls amongs us, but he is not one of us, It's what it say "

-"Is what it say, but it's not what it means."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi, are these with SFX?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates of The Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

And here comes my second favourite track - Wheel of Fortune! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi, are these with SFX?

Yes sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Atonement (Dario Marianelli)
    The "Elegy for Dunkirk" theme is fascinating. I like it more and more every time I listen it. The cue of the year; period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    .......and not only this year wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Sure, one of these themes that are instant classics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Gun - Christopher Lennertz

One of the best video game scores I have ever heard. Someone seriously needs to give this guy a serious dramatic film to score. The action writing is sublime.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Eye - Beltrami

There are a couple of good parts ("Retribution" is a fine track) but overall I agree with Erik's earlier assessment of this - another disappointing modern horror score. What adds to the disappointment is that this predictable effort follows what is probably Beltrami's most creative (and in my opinion, finest) score, 3:10 to Yuma.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    LSH wrote
    Gun - Christopher Lennertz

One of the best video game scores I have ever heard. Someone seriously needs to give this guy a serious dramatic film to score. The action writing is sublime.

punk

Agree.
    Try "WarHawk" though, another great action score by Lennertz. I´ve been playing it for the last days non stop, it´s highly enjoyable and with homages to Poledouris included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Viva Zapata! - Alex North

Inspired by the Varese Club release of the original tracks from this score I thought I'd throw this masterpiece on which was conducted by Jerry Goldsmith and performed by the RSNO. Gorgeous melodies and inventive rhythms. "Gathering Forces" is easily one of the greatest film music compositions of all time! Superb stuff!

Unfortunately, I will not be purchasing the new Varese release. If I had the money I would. This is the first time in a long time that I want ALL the Varese Club releases. Sad times.

-Erik-