• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    (sorry to offend fans of The English Patient's score, but personally it does bore me greatly)

It's ok. Elegant, refined music is not for everyone wink tongue

True!

Personally I think it's a lovely score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    omaha wrote
    lp wrote
    On a slightly off-topic note, if it was up to me, I would have nominated Jerry Goldsmith's score to Air Force One (for some reason, this score just popped up in my mind). It's awesome score that worked like gangbuster in a not-so-great movie.

I like that movie. sad

I said "not-so-great" cause I do like it for what it is. An excellent "action film" with some questionable plotting and characters. A little bit more work would have helped with the story and made for a better movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    lp wrote
    omaha wrote
    lp wrote
    On a slightly off-topic note, if it was up to me, I would have nominated Jerry Goldsmith's score to Air Force One (for some reason, this score just popped up in my mind). It's awesome score that worked like gangbuster in a not-so-great movie.

I like that movie. sad

I said "not-so-great" cause I do like it for what it is. An excellent "action film" with some questionable plotting and characters. A little bit more work would have helped with the story and made for a better movie.

Ah, were in perfect agreement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    (sorry to offend fans of The English Patient's score, but personally it does bore me greatly)

True!

Personally I think it's a lovely score.

I think Gabriel Yared's later scores were much better. Think Message in a Bottle or Autumn in New York. Both are my absolute favorites of his.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Glad there are people who like it. It makes me vomit wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

You don't have much a sweet tooth, do you. moon
    I love music that swoon you in one direction or another. It's what attracted me to film music in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You don't have much a sweet tooth, do you. moon
    I love music that swoon you in one direction or another. It's what attracted me to film music in the first place.

Was talking about the film actually; the music is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Well, Yared's elegant and refined music is not for me, specifically.

But take another example, like Morricone's elegant and refined music, now that is something I can truly appreciate. La venexiana, Chi l'ha vista morire?, Fateless, La banquière... Or Goldsmith's Islands in the Stream... Give those scores Oscars and you won't hear a peep out of me.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthordman
    lp wrote
    dman wrote
    I'm seeing Desplat and the two Newman scores as locks for noms this year now, but maybe that's just me.

I hope you're not talking about Wall-E as one of the Newman scores. rolleyes

What's wrong with Wall-E?

Doesn't Pixar have a great track record for getting their films Oscar noms in the score category?
    Plus, it is Newman after all scoring the "best reviewed film of the year," so far at least.

Um, anyway, that's just my 2¢.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mmm..with WALL-E? A lot it's wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mmm..with WALL-E? A lot it's wrong.

When has that ever stopped the Academy? If you ask me, while "If I Didn't Have You" is a very cute song, there were tons of other Randy Newman nominations that deserved to win before that, and never did.

Plus let's not forget The Full Monty. I know Elfman, Zimmer and JNH never did.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Ehm, another Zimmer topic gets hijacked... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If Wall-E doesn't get a nomination I'll be amazed. Not because it doesn't deserve one (of course it deserves one, but that rarely has much to do with it) but because of the praise awarded the film and the popularity of the composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    dman wrote

Doesn't Pixar have a great track record for getting their films Oscar noms in the score category?
    Plus, it is Newman after all scoring the "best reviewed film of the year," so far at least.

The first half of Wall-E didn't need music. The second half needed music to compliment the social-political pandering. In fact the whole movie felt like a score was unnecessary, making it completely irrelevant. If there ever was a score that didn't do anything to help better the movie, Wall-E is it. And the fact that it might be nominated on the basis of being attached to Wall-E is retarded and prototypical of how the AAMPAS truly sucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    dman wrote

The first half of Wall-E didn't need music. The second half needed music to compliment the social-political pandering. In fact the whole movie felt like a score was unnecessary, making it completely irrelevant. If there ever was a score that didn't do anything to help better the movie, Wall-E is it. And the fact that it might be nominated on the basis of being attached to Wall-E is retarded and prototypical of how the AAMPAS truly sucks.

We all know how stupid it all is (and yet we all still seem to care, based on how much we talk about it!)

I couldn't disagree with your more about Wall-E though. What a perfect score it is - an already-great film made even better. How ironic that it should be talked about in this of all topics, and in response to the Academy deciding it wouldn't allow the nomination of a score which is the very definition of one which adds nothing to the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    HeeroJF wrote

Plus let's not forget The Full Monty. I know Elfman, Zimmer and JNH never did.

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    I couldn't disagree with your more about Wall-E though. What a perfect score it is - an already-great film made even better. How ironic that it should be talked about in this of all topics, and in response to the Academy deciding it wouldn't allow the nomination of a score which is the very definition of one which adds nothing to the film.

Wall-E wasn't perfect. The first half of the movie was perfect. But because of some hamfisted storytelling during the latter half of the movie, it became merely "better than good". And Thomas Newman's score was bland and almost needlessly redundant, wallpaper music. In fact, the one song at the beginning of the Wall-E was the perfect score for the first 20 minute of the movie.

For my money, Thomas Newman did his shtick perfectly with Finding Nemo, and that was the one that should have won.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Getting back on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJzEdbRVwI

HAHAH!!! With some trims here and there, the track would almost fit everything shown.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    lp wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Getting back on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJzEdbRVwI

HAHAH!!! With some trims here and there, the track would almost fit everything shown.

It would "fit" but wouldn't work- too blunt for me. Thomas Newman's score works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas wrote
    Q&A: Hans Zimmer

-> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … 2810b6ad34

Inside Hans Zimmer's Remote Control

-> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … b8efe22b28

Thanks a lot!! beer punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky

That is a very good interview, thanks a lot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

Wall-E wasn't perfect. The first half of the movie was perfect. But because of some hamfisted storytelling during the latter half of the movie, it became merely "better than good". And Thomas Newman's score was bland and almost needlessly redundant, wallpaper music. In fact, the one song at the beginning of the Wall-E was the perfect score for the first 20 minute of the movie.

For my money, Thomas Newman did his shtick perfectly with Finding Nemo, and that was the one that should have won.

Agree. I can't express how much i anticipate REVOLUTIONARY ROAD to get him back to the inspired Newman sound i so much love and miss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    One day Newman will finally win his Oscar and on that day I shall weep and cringe.

The Dark Knight might not get nominated, but eventually M. Night Shyamalan will make another epic movie and JNH will then finally win his Oscar and on that day I shall cheer and shout and sing.

And it couldn't hurt if Zimmer won another one. One that he truly, absolutely deserved, and not just for being associated to a Disney musical.
  1. if Frost/Nixon is received well, you can bet Zimmer's score will either be nominated for a Golden Globe or an Oscar, it all has to do about the film and not anymore about the score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    if Frost/Nixon is received well, you can bet Zimmer's score will either be nominated for a Golden Globe or an Oscar, it all has to do about the film and not anymore about the score

With the odd exception it always has been about the film a score is attached to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Makes you wonder why they even bother issuing these "For Your Consideration" Oscar promos.

They may as well simply ship the Academy people a poster of the film instead of a CD. I'm betting no one there even listens to them.

And perhaps they should also re-label these promos "For Your Sympathy".
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    HeeroJF wrote
    One day Newman will finally win his Oscar and on that day I shall weep and cringe.

The Dark Knight might not get nominated, but eventually M. Night Shyamalan will make another epic movie and JNH will then finally win his Oscar and on that day I shall cheer and shout and sing.

And it couldn't hurt if Zimmer won another one. One that he truly, absolutely deserved, and not just for being associated to a Disney musical.

Are you suggesting he didn't deserve to win for his music in The Lion King?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008 edited
    He did! But we all know he didn't get the Oscar because he deserved it. It's masterful score, to be sure, but I don't think the Academy really cared what it sounded like, ultimately. They awarded it for different, biaised reasons.

And personally I think the best score of 1994 was The Pagemaster, but that's just me.

(emphasis on the "just" part!!!) spin