• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    NP: The Water Horse - James Newton Howard

Gonna give this one a shot right now... annnnnnnnd skip track one. tongue

-Erik-

And Stop right before to the last one. tongue

Actually, I'm having a lot of fun with this one. I'm a sucker for Celtic music. Just finished "The Fishermen" Just makes me wanna get up and dance a jig.

-Erik-

Im not a fan of Celtic music, But sometimes It really makes me dance a jig too, Far and Away or Everlasting PIece...But When Horner uses it....Well in fact, I think I decided I don't like very much Horner shame

NP:JUstine (Goldsmith)

the original Soundtrack. Not my coup of tea.

Im really amazed in how much worked Michael York in the past...And How Many Movies with Goldsmith scores He had. Lucky Him!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    O, Pioneers! | Bruce Broughton

O, so pretty!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm a sucker for Celtic music.

Then there's no hope for it. We aren't destined to get on if we find ourselves stranded on an island together w/ a Chieftains album. wink

Ah; same here :sigh:

skip skip skip skip

n.p. AARON ZIGMAN - The Martian Child
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ON THE BEACH - Christopher Gordon

Very good score cool

Just fini and off to bye bye land wave sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    NP: The Water Horse by James Newton Howard.

Was playing Beowulf, but all the positive talk about the Water Horse made me want to listen to it again. Another winner by JNH!! I am really digging the celtic influences, I'm also a sucker for them in scores, especially the fiddle. My mom is a big Celtic music fan, so I got that from her (She enjoys The Water Horse from the little she has heard also). Great finale!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey-Guy Farley

A new release from MMM. I reviewed Land of the Blind which I found interesting because of the use of kazoos! This one is not as Xmas as I thought it would be. There is country, some folk, and Thomas Newman style tracks.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARCO BELTRAMI - Cursed

Violent, loud, percussive and brassy, raw and dissonant. Very, very good score by Beltrami.
  1. NP: Amen (Armand Amar)

Can't believe I only just noticed this, but there's a bit of Phillip Glass's KUNDUN score worked into the final track.
    Playing 'Guess the Score' has sharpened my ears!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    Can't believe I only just noticed this, but there's a bit of Phillip Glass's KUNDUN score worked into the final track. Playing 'Guess the Score' has sharpened my ears!

That's the spirit: spread false information! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    NP: I´m writing, so it´s Kaczmarek - Unfaithful. Extraordinary background stuff that really helps with drama and and depressing dialogue...
  2. That's not what I meant. Now had I said Jacques Ibert or Alfred Honegger, then you'd be onto something... wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    That's not what I meant. Now had I said Jacques Ibert or Alfred Honegger, then you'd be onto something... wink

Are these helpful hints?

Hidden clues?

Or is it mere false information to get you off on the wrong track?

Find out yourself at the all new

GUESS THE SCORE game!

(spectacular, spectacular!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p. AARON ZIGMAN - The Martian Child

How is this Demetris? I heard clips in the iTunes store and it sounded gorgeous.

edit: Just read your review!

NP: Wyatt Earp - James Newton Howard

Must have been James' biggest score at the time and it really is quite powerful, especially during the climax in the cue O.K. Corral. It's also a very small intimate score with some gorgeous romantic moments.
    • CommentAuthorRick
    Ehhh - I'm boring, but I can't help playing Home Alone/Home Alone 2 repeatedly from Dec 1 to Dec 25.

It's become kind of a tradition in my house.

Also (non-film score related) I'm giving Andrew Lloyd Webbers 'Whistle Down the Wind' a bit of a spin as well. (Although this seems to be seasonal, as I bought it a few years ago around this time of the year - it always seems to come out at the start of summer).

I appear to be a creature of habit!
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Bourne Ultimatum | John Powell

I've listened to this one so many times now it's really taken on a life of its own. I really love this score, 'Waterloo' and 'Tangiers' being two of my ultimate (see what I did there?) action cues... especially when I'm cycling into uni!
    cheesy

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: I´m writing, so it´s Kaczmarek - Unfaithful. Extraordinary background stuff that really helps with drama and and depressing dialogue...

Did you try EVENING and TOTAL ECLIPSE? Both simply gorgeous .

Lee, you'll love MARTIAN CHILD; i am sure you will. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    first listen:

OSVALDO GOLIJOV - Youth without Youth

shocked shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    first listen:

OSVALDO GOLIJOV - Youth without Youth

shocked shocked

Finally! punk

Are those 'me like' " shocked "'s?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TOTALLY!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Glad you do, bud!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You've heard it mate?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeap, several times. I love the 'nostalgic' feel of it, the old fashioned, haunting melodies for strings, which, combined with the Argentinien (?) instruments, makes for a very, very fine score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think the instruments are Russian, at least from what i remember (heard it once so far); i recall hearing various kinds of Russian dulcimers and from what i see in his bio he was actually born and grew up in Argentina, but in an Eastern European Jewish household.

You're spot-on at the "nostalgic" feeling in it for sure; as i said in moviemusic.com's board, i am DEEPLY impressed by it. I haven't heard such a refined and pleasantly old-fashioned orchestral score in ages! This will be the next I'll review along with some MovieScore Media's and AVRP. That's some good stuff at the end of the year alright!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    From what the booklet says, he most prominently uses the cimbalom and kamancheh (a Persian instrument). I knew the film was set in Argentina, which was why Francis Ford Coppola asked him to do the score. I imagined he wanted an Argentinien sound, so then why would he use Russian instruments? But I'm not that acquainted with those cultures and their instruments, so you could be right as well wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well they're pretty similar, they belong in the same families anyway and they're met along many countries under slightly different names and variations. Thanks for the info though, i don't have the booklet! Glad you liked it!

D
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philppe Sarde

Sublime! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    as i said in moviemusic.com's board,

...you visit other boards?
    :raised eyebrow:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Did you try EVENING and TOTAL ECLIPSE? Both simply gorgeous .

I see if I can get them. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: John Barry: The Collection (Disc 3) - John Barry

Suites and theme from various John Barry scores on 4CD's recorded by The City of Prague Philharmonic. I never did get through this album a few weeks ago so I thought I'd pick up where I left off...

SOMEWHERE IN TIME

What a gorgeous theme and beautiful score to boot.

Up Next: Raise The Titanic

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Alien vs Predator Requiem

I really do like this. Tyler's best in a while. But the album's just MILES too long.