• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007 edited
    Mission to Mars?!?!?! rolleyes

Good lord!

How do you EVER get through "Towards the Unknown?"

crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    Mission to Mars? Favourite from last decade!?

...how much do you charge for crack?
  1. Erik Woods wrote

Good lord!

crazy

-Erik-

That's such a fantastic cue. Electric bass, organ and edgy strings is musical dynamite in Morricone's sure hands.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

I remember my initial reaction to the first Lord of the Rings score (and that's music which gives every impression that it will stand the test of time, at least in terms of film music) !

I know your initial thoughts about this score trilogy, What are yout thoughts (your personal thoughts) about this trilogy? (Being heard the sessions or not)

beer

Lord of the Rings? I've come to deeply admire it... in some ways love it. But I still can't get an emotional connection to it. I can listen to the single-disc edition of Return of the King straight through without hearing anything I don't enjoy, but I do think all the scores have flaws in terms of how they're used in the films, and the extended editions just have no interest for me at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

Good lord!

crazy

-Erik-

wink With the greatest of ease! Exquisite film scoring.
  2. NP: Alien (Goldsmith)

This is also fantastic. And Jordi, I must confess I do like the main theme. wink (Reminiscent of the climax of the ST:TMP score - 'The Bonding'.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Alien... a score which stands the test of time.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    NP: Charlie Wilson's War (Howard)

HELL NAW!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Good lord!

crazy

-Erik-

wink With the greatest of ease! Exquisite film scoring.

Annoying and completely inappropriate scoring. One of the most distracting cues in the history of film music. Laughable really. I remember my friend and I looking at each other in the theatre and wondering just what the hell Morricone and De Palma were thinking. And then the laugh out loud finale. Beautiful music on it's own but again completely the wrong tone. It made in incredibly cheesy moment unintentionally funny!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I never really understood that reaction. Still don't. Seems perfect to me.
  3. Why do people want the same ol' stuff for the same ol' things, again and again? Go even a little into an adventurous area, and the poor audience can't seem to handle it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Alien (Goldsmith)

This is also fantastic. And Jordi, I must confess I do like the main theme. wink (Reminiscent of the climax of the ST:TMP score - 'The Bonding'.)

Im watching right now the Music And Editing making of from Alien 2 DVD's edition i bought this morning wink

(I know...I know...How I didn't buy it earlier? well...I always loved more Cameron's movie )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Why do people want the same ol' stuff for the same ol' things, again and again? Go even a little into an adventurous area, and the poor audience can't seem to handle it. wink

I don't mind experimentation when it's good... but the Mission to Mars cues that we have discussed are awful, awful film music cues.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:National Treasure 2 (Rabin)
    22 minutes from Itunes....

A GREAT...GREAT SURPRISE!

More orchestral, more thematic, with more color and with a synthetic touch more modern than usual in Rabin.

The First track like the village is very unexpected! And Rabin with Accordion, I never expected to live enought to hear that!

(I hated the synthetic noise from the first National Treasure)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Double post, Double trouble.
  4. NP: The Yards (Howard Shore)

My favourite Howard Shore score. It has a nice Eastern European feel in parts, and a couple of really heart-breaking themes.

Also today: Where the Truth Lies (Danna), We Own the Night (Kilar - very moving, short score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

I've had this for a while now and only now am I giving this a spin. I read Broxton's review over at MMUK and I had to put this one on just to hear if it is indeed one of the best scores of the year. Now, he thought The Golden Compass was one of the years best as well so I'm a bit pessimistic. However, I'm a few tracks in and I like what I'm hearing... especially the typewriter. I'm sure it's being use for a more dramatic effect but I find it a bit comical... in a good way. It's as if Marianelli was having a little fun with this score and the little flick of the typewriter right at the end of the opening track is evidence of that. It reminds me of the playfulness of Desplat's "Prelude" from Birth... another track that I adore. Anyway, I am really looking forward to the rest... especially the crowd pleasing "Elegy for Dunkirk."

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Ratatouille (Giacchino)

I really enjoy this score -- a bit of The Incredibles mixed with some French flavor, Carl Stalling, and salsa for good measure. It's not nearly as good as The Incredibles, but it does complement the movie oh so well. To be honest, too much jazz gets on my nerves but the score handles it brilliantly for the most part.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    NP: The Golden Compass

Every new listen reveals countless new joys to this. A monumental score.

I'm looking forward to giving this one a good listen later today. smile

I'll give my opinion then wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. ATONEMENT is really good, I think. There's a moment there where it gets a bit Philip Glass-ish, but the 'Denouement' and 'Atonement' tracks are pretty devastating.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Yards (Howard Shore)

My favourite Howard Shore score. It has a nice Eastern European feel in parts, and a couple of really heart-breaking themes.

Also today: Where the Truth Lies (Danna), We Own the Night (Kilar - very moving, short score).

That's my favorite one too. Is Eastern Promises in the same vein as this one Michael? Worth the purchase?

Played today: Becoming Jane (Adrian Johnston), The Holiday (Zimmer) (because I watch the movie sunday night and wanted to revisit it) and Without a Clue by Mancini.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    In a few years it will be yet another forgotten score.
    -Erik-

Well steady on there a second, according to good old Ralph, it will be remembered as long as:
    (i) a lot of people work hard on it! - CHECK
    (ii) it's based on a famous book that will stand the test of time; - CHECK
    (iii) someone - preferably Peter Jackson - one day makes a sequel or a prequel. - UH-OH... New Line ain't ever going to make those sequels now. That's why Peter Jackson's lawsuit got settled all of a sudden. rolleyes
    wink

I heard that!!!

Now, just a moment. Taken out of context my assumption might sound a bit weird. When I said famous book I meant legendary, beloved-by-millions, will-stand-all-tests-of-time book. LOTR is a totally different "famous" than "His Dark Materials" will ever be.

And as much as I liked the score for Golden Compass, it is nowhere near LOTR, simply because the setting is less epic, the story is... well, we´ll see... and the whole atmosphere is totally different. GC just doesn´t need what LOTR had. That doesn´t mean it is a worse score.
  6. Nautilus wrote
    22 minutes from Itunes....

The First track like the village is very unexpected! And Rabin with Accordion, I never expected to live enought to hear that!

Agreed. I expect to have A LOT of fun in theatre...

But this looks like a very short, I-Tunes-only release... what a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    you think it holds up? wink

Not even closely. I am dead-serious about this, apart the opening and closing titles the rest of LADY IN THE WATER is overrated typical JNH underscore which isn't any different than - say - THE WATER HORSE.

Then why do you like THE WATER HORSE? biggrin

I don't dislike LADY IN THE WATER either. I think it is overrated as hell.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Yards (Howard Shore)

Same here, by far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    More orchestral, more thematic, with more color and with a synthetic touch more modern than usual in Rabin.

Agree! The first track is a total surprise! Too bad there´s only 22 minutes available. From what we can hear, this deserves a full release.
    As Ralph says, I expect great fun in the theater, both for the movie and the score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Pirates Of Caribbean Suites

Can anyone say this is not Zimmer's best action music???? It is!

Sadly , no reviews will come.
  7. Tintin wrote
    That's my favorite one too. Is Eastern Promises in the same vein as this one Michael? Worth the purchase?

Played today: Becoming Jane (Adrian Johnston), The Holiday (Zimmer) (because I watch the movie sunday night and wanted to revisit it) and Without a Clue by Mancini.

EASTERN PROMISES does have a lot of thematic beauty, with again an Eastern European lilt, and prominent solo violin. I think it's very much worth the purchase, though I can't say I prefer it to THE YARDS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    you think it holds up? wink

Not even closely. I am dead-serious about this, apart the opening and closing titles the rest of LADY IN THE WATER is overrated typical JNH underscore which isn't any different than - say - THE WATER HORSE.

Then why do you like THE WATER HORSE? biggrin

I don't dislike LADY IN THE WATER either. I think it is overrated as hell.

Even I, lukewarm about JNH at the best of times, think Lady in the Water is excellent.
  8. See Demetris. Even He, lukewarm about JNH at the best of times, thought Lady in the Water was excellent.