• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPat
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    Steven wrote
    I've never understood why people envy those on their first listens?

Scores - the truly great ones at the very least - get better with each listen... why would you want to start at the beginning again? confused

Probably because truly great scores strike your mind in a pleasant, unique fashion that cannot be compared to the feeling of awe you may indeed experience when deepening your knowledge of such a particular score ? When I don't know what to expect at all, or hardly know what to expect, and when what I'm hearing — on my first listen — is by far exceeding my expectations, I just feel infinitely privileged smile Surely, it encourages me to give this one score repeated listens, which will feel as gratifying, but you know it will never be the same again. No ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Scores - the truly great ones at the very least - get better with each listen... why would you want to start at the beginning again? confused

Just watched the movie, and had to listen to the score. Excellent film, excellent score.

Because nothing it's comparable to discover for the first time a tune ( or a feeling, wich is what it is).

and Because of the surprise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sorry, I'm not buying it.

For me, nothing beats knowing a score inside out, no matter how good a first listen may be. Especially rich and complex thematic scores where it's not always so obvious how good the score really is on the first listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007 edited
    Steven wrote

Especially rich and complex thematic scores where it's not always so obvious how good the score really is on the first listen.

Agree with that statement.

But I can't fee the same now than when I heard Crimson tide tune for the first time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

For me, nothing beats knowing a score inside out, no matter how good a first listen may be. Especially rich and complex thematic scores where it's not always so obvious how good the score really is on the first listen.

I think that with the wide-n-easy availability of everything today, it's more like a rush of who's gonna listen to what first and not actually the listening experiences themselves. Not to mention that many people won't give a third spin to most score CD's nowadays. Maybe being a bit more picky and selective as to what we choose to listen to these days and the reviewers a bit more patient, it might actually attribute a more meaning and depth to those listening sessions and significance to them as experiences for us.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    Steven wrote

Yep, and I totally agree with that, too. I can only speak of my personal experience, but what I'm saying isn't that a first listen is necessarily better than the second or third, etc. Only that they're just two different experiences. Both make me feel euphoric, and both remind me why I'm so interested in film scores, but both make me feel so for different reasons.

Anyway,
    NP: Rambo III — Jerry Goldsmith

Looks like you guys have put me in the mood punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Jordi, Spiderwick does NOT prove anything about Horner, it just proves something about what the directors and other influencers tell him to do. Composers do not get to write however they want, and when they do so against the will of those who employ them, their music has a good chance of not being used. The New World is a perfect example of this...and I'm pretty sure after that horrible experience Horner is quite wary of writing outside the box he's placed in. Malick (director of The New World) wanted an unthematic score, and Horner wrote themes that ended up not being used. If he was working under similar terms for Spiderwick, I can certainly understand why he wouldn't write more themes, and so the fact that he didn't proves nothing about Horner himself. Only proves the sad state of modern American cinema.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    Jordi, Spiderwick does NOT prove anything about Horner, it just proves something about what the directors and other influencers tell him to do. Composers do not get to write however they want, and when they do so against the will of those who employ them, their music has a good chance of not being used. The New World is a perfect example of this...and I'm pretty sure after that horrible experience Horner is quite wary of writing outside the box he's placed in. Malick (director of The New World) wanted an unthematic score, and Horner wrote themes that ended up not being used. If he was working under similar terms for Spiderwick, I can certainly understand why he wouldn't write more themes, and so the fact that he didn't proves nothing about Horner himself. Only proves the sad state of modern American cinema.

Spiderwick is not the only wich proof that....Horner's creativity finished long time ago....i mean looooooooong time ago.

Sorry.It's my opinion. It doesn't mean he has in his pocket the most important and memorable scores from the 3 decades.

Anyway...Im enjoying Spiderwicks. I find is his back to his 80's sound, and it's really , really welcomed!!!!

"flight to the griffin" and "fight for Chronicles" are so dissonant, agressive and magic that really reminds me how good he used to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

Sorry.It's my opionon. It doesn't mean he has in his pocket the most important and memorable scores from the 3 decades.

Really? Apocalypto is a very impressive and complex musical achievement while ALL THE KING's MEN and THE NEW WORLD are singularly beautiful, all way better than many composers' supposedly best efforts during this very period.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

The Hunt For Red October | Basil Poledouris

Just watched the movie, and had to listen to the score. Excellent film, excellent score.

Yep! Great film and great score!

A shame Alec Baldwin didn't remain for successive films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Sorry.It's my opionon. It doesn't mean he has in his pocket the most important and memorable scores from the 3 decades.

Really? Apocalypto is a very impressive and complex musical achievement while ALL THE KING's MEN and THE NEW WORLD are singularly beautiful, all way better than many composers' supposedly best efforts during this very period.

Apocalypto = Unlisteanble
    All the King's men = Repetitive
    The new world = SUGAR
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Sometimes, Nautilus, you're really really annoying.... and yes it's your opinion but still. angry angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    msia2k75 wrote
    Sometimes, Nautilus, you're really really annoying.... and yes it's your opinion but still. angry angry

But I mostly agree with what Jordi said in fact. Perhaps not entirerly on The New World, but you can't deny it is sugary somehow.

THE GOLDEN COMPASS | alexandre desplat

I was in Paris last weekend and my hotel was in the same region (Quartier Latin) where Desplat grew up. I saw the cinema he went to, and where his career started. How freaky. wink

Anyway, listening this one on repeat. On repeat. On repeat. Fantastic now, finally I can say it as well!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote

THE GOLDEN COMPASS | alexandre desplat

Anyway, listening this one on repeat. On repeat. On repeat. Fantastic now, finally I can say it as well!

Yeah, An impressive ,complex and mature Fantasy Score.

I was Playing:SpiderWick Chronicles.

After 3 listens, I have to say im really happy to listen Horner in this territory again. Darker and more dense.

You can't expect the fanfarres or the majestous themes from Willow or Krull, but it's still a come back to the peak of his career.

Really Impressed! (but..What about a 50 minutes realease?)

NP:Throne Room from Star Wars and A new Hope and end Credits

Hear the Force theme in his march variation , and the emotive leia's theme is an authentic musical orgasm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Agreed. As much as I loved Ford in the role as Ryan (and was somewhat indifferent to Affleck's interpretation) , I think they got the casting spot on first time around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Agreed. As much as I loved Ford in the role as Ryan (and was somewhat indifferent to Affleck's interpretation) , I think they got the casting spot on first time around.

Did you guy know that Harrison Ford was originally asked to play Ryan in Hunt For Red October but said no because he thought no one would want to see a submarine movie. So, when Baldwin turned down Patriot Games the producers asked Ford again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope. Well, then fate got it right first time around!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007 edited
    Sometimes a first listen is a spectacular experience, sometimes it is the discovery of themes and layers after months of listening. I love them both, but the biggest goosebumps I usually get from listening to a beautiful theme for the first time. I experienced that a lot of times, some of the more recently were:

The Lady in the Water (listening to the first snippets)
    Transformers (in theatre, especially during the Autobots´ arrival on Earth)
    The Golden Compass (in theatre, while hearing the beautiful theme during that big battle scene)
    Beowulf (The Hero Comes Home Theme, played first in that youtube video from that spanish concert)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Whole End Credits from Star Wars and Star trek (the Goldsmith's ones)

punk x2.0345

beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Steven wrote
    Nope. Well, then fate got it right first time around!

Agreed!

I like Ford though.

Affeck is so.....????.......BLAND!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Affleck is just... Affleck biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; Bennifer sucks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    msia2k75 wrote

Indeed. I truly believe he has stuff blocking his ears most of the times! Or he expresses himself in this fashion only to annoy people.
  2. Well, I don't like Apocalypto myself.
  3. As a listening experience, no, me neither. But it´s a great ambiente score, very atmospheric and pitchperfect for RPGs. Hah, I´m so easy to satisfy... biggrin
  4. I wouldn't call The New World too sugary, especially in Horner's standards. All the King's Men is a bit too heavy for me, but it's one of his better efforts recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    msia2k75 wrote

Indeed. I truly believe he has stuff blocking his ears most of the times! Or he expresses himself in this fashion only to annoy people.

Do you think this Demetris? really?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I just think you are brutally honest about each and every flim of emotion you have, how interchangable they may be and come. You express what you think is an opinion, but most of the time it is just an assumption based on carelessly build thoughts. I have the impression that you listen to scores in exactly the same way how you read texts - very fast, without really "getting" the information. This is why you, for example, continuously write score and track titles wrong, or change your opinion about something every other day, or have to write in big letters, because you think no one will see or even read the small ones.

But this is not the case, Jordi. We read each and everything you write, regardless of size, colour, content, or level of pain. I don´t write this to annoy you, just to show you how some of us feel.

Personally, I don´t care. I remind you of correct titles sometimes, if it gets too annoying or carries danger of mistakes. Sometimes I make jokes of you without really laughing at you, if you get what I mean. I sense that you can take them as a man, and that´s why I keep doing them, not to annoy you.

I like your honesty, your very outwardly shown nature and emotions, but it gets a bit harsh sometimes. You are a funny and likeable person. But sometimes you just seem to have been hit by a constitution class starship.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I just think you are brutally honest about each and every flim of emotion you have, how interchangable they may be and come. You express what you think is an opinion, but most of the time it is just an assumption based on carelessly build thoughts. I have the impression that you listen to scores in exactly the same way how you read texts - very fast, without really "getting" the information. This is why you, for example, continuously write score and track titles wrong, or change your opinion about something every other day, or have to write in big letters, because you think no one will see or even read the small ones.

But this is not the case, Jordi. We read each and everything you write, regardless of size, colour, content, or level of pain.

shocked You are right. Im shocked about your analysis...You know me, dude!
  5. Make sure to read my edited version above.