• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre-Steiner

I'm listening to the Morgan/Stromberg version but I also will listen to the Gerhardt, Centaur, and Rhino before I get done. Does the fact that I own all of them make you think I like this score? I also have the film.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote

I'm listening to the Morgan/Stromberg version but I also will listen to the Gerhardt, Centaur, and Rhino before I get done. Does the fact that I own all of them make you think I like this score? I also have the film.

To be honest, I had no idea you even liked golden age scores? confused
  1. Trevor Morris - The Tudors

Nice. Lots of tracks, some of them way too short, but there are some highlights on the CD I had to own, so I put that on my wishlist and was lucky to get it. The first and the final track are the best, but I noticed some good stuff on the way. Probably needs more than a few listenings to find the ten themes Morris claims to have written. But it works great on TV, and it´s most certainly one nice background CD for RPGs...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It's on my top 100 list of all time Steven
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

It's my favourite Steiner score Tom.

The Morgan / Stromberg version is definitive for me though I also have the Gerhardt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I normally go out on a Friday night but I've so over-done it on the booze this week I just had to take some time out. Mel's gone to a friends birthday party and I just can't handle that tonight ( yeah, I know, I've turned into a lightweight wink ) so I'm just chilling out with a cup of tea and some favourite scores cool

NP : THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - John Barry

Corking swan song Bond score from the master, brilliant! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    Rush Hour 3: Lalo Schifrin

A very good energetic action score with a bit of a 70's Enter the Dragon vibe. I really dig the percussion in the action tracks. On a whole the score seems much more lively than Rush Hour 2. Action Highlights are "Bikers" and "Chasing the Assassin." As can be expected for a Rush Hour movie, the short main title is excellent, with more of a hip urban vibe than the last two. They don't make scores like this anymore. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited
    NP:CASPER (HORNER)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Goodbye to my love to Spiderwick Chronicles!

Dammed Horner!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Yes it's true. Horner's main(ish) theme here is just a Casper rip. He inverts the notes a little but you pretty well recognise the theme straight away. Hearing the score a second time revealed the flaws of the Spiderwick score but I still like the fact that he's back to his early musical roots for this outing.
    Is it as good as Wrath Of Kahn, Balto, Casper, Cocoon, Willow, Rocketeer etc? Hell no!
    But it is nice to get more than a little of that early Horner feel here. I'm happy to hear it anyway!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Yes it's true. Horner's main(ish) theme here is just a Casper rip. He inverts the notes a little but you pretty well recognise the theme straight away. Hearing the score a second time revealed the flaws of the Spiderwick score but I still like the fact that he's back to his early musical roots for this outing.
    Is it as good as Wrath Of Kahn, Balto, Casper, Cocoon, Willow, Rocketeer etc? Hell no!
    But it is nice to get more than a little of that early Horner feel here. I'm happy to hear it anyway!

Absolutely. Although it lacks perhaps what made those scores really special (a stronger main theme?), it's still littered with Horner's 'magic' of his earlier years, which is nice to hear in 2007.

It's good to hear him in Aliens mode again as well!
  2. NP: Toni (Desplat)

Probably my least favourite of the composer's works, but the string theme that forms the basis of every other track is really beautiful.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

Absolutely. Although it lacks perhaps what made those scores really special (a stronger main theme?), it's still littered with Horner's 'magic' of his earlier years, which is nice to hear in 2007.

Aliens mode? lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Atham wrote

Agree with you.

NP: Rambo (Goldsmith)

Some of the most heroic music I ever Heard (being the earlier MV scores very close, not necessary in quality thought).

Flight Home!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

Aliens mode? lick

Yes, but only in short, controlled bursts I must emphasise (see the connection I made there? biggrin rolleyes ). This really is Casper: The Sequel!

Treasure Planet | James Newton Howard

With some 'editing' out of the more mickey-mouse type cues, this is one helluva an album. (I even like the songs.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited
    DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRÊTÉ (SUITE) | alexandre desplat

When in the right mood, one of the most beautiful pieces I know.
    So delicate, soft and pure. Heart music!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams

cool punk
  3. Bregt wrote

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

Indeed.

That suite is one of the most wonderful things you'll ever hear by Desplat. Some parts are beyond words beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Back To Titanic | James Horner

The 20 minutes suite always manages to floor me. Those who know me in real life would probably find this impossible to believe as they know me as a rather cynical person!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: My own Epic Compilation

End Credits and A new hope
    Indiana jones and the temple of the Doom Credits
    First Contact End Credits
    King Richard.
    Sand Volcano
    The FInal Shodown/victory/End Credits
    I'll stay
    Mulan Suite
    Drink up me Hearties
    Hoist The Colours
    My Famili is My life
    The Mummy returs Credits
    It's only Gold
    ID4 End Credits
    The Last Stand
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007 edited
    Good listen! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    The Golden Compass | Alexandre Desplat

After seeing the film, I can't really seem to get why people are so disappointed with the score. Desplat seems to have held back and tried something new and not aim for the same bombastic grandeur John Williams and Howard Shore have aimed for with Star Wars and LOTR respectively. The delicate, unique orchestration and the way that the music plays out in the film is really quite beautiful, and there are some moments where Desplat appropriately utilizes the orchestra for the typical fantasy grandeur ("Ice Bear Combat" and "Lee Scoresby's Adventure") for magnificent effect. An underrated gem.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I think The Golden Compass is one of the finest scores of 07!
    There is so much to be found with each listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Lionheart (GOldsmith)

I dislike some things...Like the "bad guys" motif, the use of the synth and some action stuff.And the Hungarian opera State performance is...well, weird. (Dammed some of the best Goldsmith scores are played by this orchestra! What about King solomon's, Rambo III , Island of Streams or Lionheart By the National Philarmonic?)

But there are some great parts, of course. King Richard, Failed Knight or the love themes are great.

Anyone knows the chronological order from the tracks of the 2 cd realeases?? thanks.

(One thing is sure, I never will watch the movie. I don't want another krull)
  4. Matt C wrote
    The Golden Compass | Alexandre Desplat

... and there are some moments where Desplat appropriately utilizes the orchestra for the typical fantasy grandeur ("Ice Bear Combat" and "Lee Scoresby's Adventure") for magnificent effect.

It's worth noting that 'Lee Scoresby's Adventure' doesn't actually appear in the film. I think the scene was lost when the narrative was reshuffled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Blood Diamond | James Newton Howard

This may not be his most technically brilliant score, but it has become one of my favourites.

(This being a point in case where, IMO, a first listen isn't really the most significant part of your "relationship" - for want of a better word - with a score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: My own Epic Compilation

End Credits and A new hope
    Indiana jones and the temple of the Doom Credits
    First Contact End Credits
    King Richard.
    Sand Volcano
    The FInal Shodown/victory/End Credits
    I'll stay
    Mulan Suite
    Drink up me Hearties
    Hoist The Colours
    My Famili is My life
    The Mummy returs Credits
    It's only Gold
    ID4 End Credits
    The Last Stand

Still playing it.

Do you not think it's a little bit weird Williams didn't use "luke and Leia theme" for the last track from Revenge of the sith??
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you not think it's a little bit weird Williams didn't use "luke and Leia theme" for the last track from Revenge of the sith??

The Sith End Credits are terrible. None of the pre-existing themes from Star Wars should have been used. It was a terrible idea to use Leia's Theme and The Throne Room. The End Credits should have comprised of a concert arrangement of Grevious Theme and Battle of the Heroes and should have end with slow, dark rendition of Vader's theme just like the previous two end credit pieces.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Tales From Beyond-David James Nielsen

I am listening to the segment called Nex's Diner which was arranged by Robbie Elfman. No opinion yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

The Sith End Credits are terrible. None of the pre-existing themes from Star Wars should have been used. It was a terrible idea to use Leia's Theme and The Throne Room. The End Credits should have comprised of a concert arrangement of Grevious Theme and Battle of the Heroes and should have end with slow, dark rendition of Vader's theme just like the previous two end credit pieces.

-Erik-

I don't think it was such a terrible idea. Although I do agree that themes from the film would have been a better way to end it.

It's still a great track regardless of its questionable continuity in the Stars Wars films IMO. I love it.