• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Dracula - John Williams

Superb score. This score is in desperate need of a clean up and expansion. Varese? Intrada? Anyone?

-Erik-

A - B - S - O - L - U - T - E - L - Y - !

And a huge seller, surely!?

And what a theme! cool

A clean-up maybe (and I'd buy it), but I'll have to play Thor on a possible expansion of this. This is a very solid album, and I imagine - much like THE FURY - providing more of it won't necessarily make it better.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote

About M:I2...It's a bad score and a bad album.

You're right about the former, wrong about the latter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like it both ways; score in the crappy movie (what did you expect?, M:I:III? aaaaaahhhhhh, NOW you too finaly admit that GIACCHINO rules eh? wink ) and on album, has some very strong and effective passages innit.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...innit.

Yeah boiiiii! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Superb score. This score is in desperate need of a clean up and expansion. Varese? Intrada? Anyone?

-Erik-

And what a theme! cool

A clean-up maybe (and I'd buy it), but I'll have to play Thor on a possible expansion of this. This is a very solid album, and I imagine - much like THE FURY - providing more of it won't necessarily make it better.

Dracula belongs with The Fury and Jaws (and Superman) where my dream release would be a straight reissue of the original album - but with stunning sound. (Well, that happened with The Fury of course, on one of the discs.) Don't suppose it will happen but I would welcome any new release - it's a great work which people should be able to access.
  2. NP: The Third Man (Karas)

Santa's success may have given the solo guitar score a bad name of late, but this score shows how powerful the right solo instrument can be for a score. Technically, the zither is not a guitar, but The Third Man has drawn a lot of criticims over the years rather like the criticism of the music in Brokeback Mountain. There's a lot of character in this score, truly one of the most iconic in cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And what a theme! cool

Bah! Ta hell with the both of ye!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

For me this is an absolute diamond of a score which is in desperate need of an expansion or heaven help me, a complete release.
    I agree that Dracula could do with a reissue and most certainly expanded.

I'll say it now, I'm an expanded/complete score guy all the way smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    steb74 wrote
    I'll say it now, I'm an expanded/complete score guy all the way smile

Then you too are welcome to bash the shit out of Thor is his WEIRD ways. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    Erik Woods wrote

Ha, but from what I gather consumed by the darkside Thor is punk

Only kidding man beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    steb74 wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Ha, but from what I gather consumed by the darkside Thor is punk

Only kidding man beer

Well, like me he does like beer biggrin beer

NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

A favourite! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Raiders - Williams

Genius. I need say no more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I like it both ways; score in the crappy movie (what did you expect?, M:I:III? aaaaaahhhhhh, NOW you too finaly admit that GIACCHINO rules eh? wink ) and on album, has some very strong and effective passages innit.

talking so much about M:I 2....

NP:M:I 2 (Zimmer , Badelt, Wesson...)

I remember expecting a lot of things about this score, I even bough the songs album (wich was realeased before) onlyfor Zimmer track.

Then I bought the score. I expected more something like Broken Arrow, But I found a bad mix of styles.Then Badelt Spoke in an interview and he opened pandora`s box : the first chorus in Bare island are by him, Bio techno is by Wesson...

It's a bad score, an a bad album. but it has some great tracks.

I love this high-tech sound (Recently used by Jablo in The Island and transformers). It's a very modern sound,I really love it.

"hijack" and "injection" are my favorite tracks. I find "nyah" theme annoying, but in "Seville" is highly entertaining....
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I thought Bio-techno was Badelt? dizzy

Good ol' underlings. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    And Mano a mano is such a noisy percussion track. lick
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Isn't the bike chase music a lot longer in the film?
  3. Yes, I think there is more of Ambrose's theme there. Redoing Mozart's Lacrimosa in a heavy metal arrangement biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Wait a minute...there were themes?! confused shocked wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Essential Bernard Herrmann Film Music Collection | Prague Philharmonic

Herrmann's genius is pretty well represented in this fantastic 2 disc set of his themes (one of Prague's more successful albums IMO). Can't say that I'm the biggest fan of Herrmann per sey, but I do enjoy his themes. Great film music!
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    Yeah, I remember the first time I watched Citizen Kane, the finale knocked the wind out of me, a fantastic piece !
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

Herrmann's genius is pretty well represented in this fantastic 2 disc set of his themes (one of Prague's more successful albums IMO). Can't say that I'm the biggest fan of Herrmann per sey, but I do enjoy his themes. Great film music!

I also think this is one of Silva's best compilations. Excellent album.
  4. NP: The Shoes of the Fisherman - Alex North

First Listen.
  5. Steven wrote

That has my absolute FAVOURITE piece by Herrmann on it. It's from THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR, and is called 'Nocturne'.

The suite from ON DANGEROUS GROUND is also a ripper. Great to hear it in decent sound quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    The suite from ON DANGEROUS GROUND is also a ripper. Great to hear it in decent sound quality.

And you can find it in better sound with better performances on the Esa-Pekka Salonen album and Gerhardt's Herrmann compilation. I've never warmed up to the Prague Philharmonic... however, when they have ample rehearsal time and are recorded properly you get stunning stuff like the Tadlow re-recordings. El Cid looks like it's going to be a winner. Unfortunately, those earlier Prague recordings are mostly stinkers. If you ever want to hear what a constipated orchestra sounds like listen to a Prague recording.

One of my all time favorite Herrmann compilations is an album that was released on Unicorn called "Welles Raises Kane/The Devil & Daniel Webster/Obsession" performed by The London and National Philharmonic. Brilliantly performaned, audiphile sound, perfect selections... IMHO, the way Herrmann scores SHOULD be heard.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

And you can find it in better sound with better performances on the Esa-Pekka Salonen album and Gerhardt's Herrmann compilation. I've never warmed up to the Prague Philharmonic... however, when they have ample rehearsal time and are recorded properly you get stunning stuff like the Tadlow re-recordings. El Cid looks like it's going to be a winner. Unfortunately, those earlier Prague recordings are mostly stinkers. If you ever want to hear what a constipated orchestra sounds like listen to a Prague recording.

I agree about their early recordings but I do think the Herrmann collection is very good (the Salonen is much better - but has a more limited range, so maybe for a novice Herrmann fan the Prague album is best?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I agree about their early recordings but I do think the Herrmann collection is very good (the Salonen is much better - but has a more limited range, so maybe for a novice Herrmann fan the Prague album is best?)

As a starter album... yes, I'll go with that.

-Erik-
  6. The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring Howard Shore
    (normal release)

While I like the first half of the album, I love the second half which just hits you with great cue after great cue (until enya warbles)!

Settling in to what should be a good listen, just hope the MP3 player shuffle puts on a good album after!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring Howard Shore
    (normal release)

While I like the first half of the album, I love the second half which just hits you with great cue after great cue (until enya warbles)!

Interesting... because I think that Enya's song is the absolute perfect sound for the film. A seemless blend from score to song. She was the perfect choice.

-Erik-
  7. She may have been the perfect choice, but I would rather have none at all!

If you've got over thirty other instruments, then lets here them and not the human voice for a change.

However sometimes a sond does liven up a score, certainly "Ain't no mountain high enough" improves Stepmom, which for me is quite boring.
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    She may have been the perfect choice, but I would rather have none at all!

If you've got over thirty other instruments, then lets here them and not the human voice for a change.

Not really sure what you are talking about here. "Not the human voice for a change." It's not like Shore used a pre-existing song to sell records. This is an original song, in the spirit of the score and The Lord of the Rings as are all of the other songs in the series.

-Erik-