• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPat
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008
    NP: Amarcord - Nino Rota

cool

About to move to: Music From The Films Of Steven Seagal - David Michael Frank

biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Roar ! Giacchino

so fuc_ing addictive!

I agree, the best Giacchino piece I've heard so far. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Jumper (The Game) - Chris Tilton
    Just a few tracks in and it's ridiculous how much better it is than Powell's version.

Yup! But did you catch that entire motif from The Bourne Supremacy in there? (I think it's the first part of the level one music!) biggrin

No, I'll have to listen to that part again.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Marc Streitenfeld's AMERICAN GANGSTER

I like this little score... Everyone hates it, but I think it's cool, like the film (I can't wait for the Director's Cut !!!)... cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Roar! (Giacchino)

I can't think of a better phrase than - 'this music is winking at us!' It's interesting to compare this overture - with references to the style of Ifukube - to David Arnold's GODZILLA. Arnold's score is so dead serious, but Giacchino's is having a bit of fun. I know which one I'd take any day.

Thought experiment: if they'd ever had any score in the film, would the makers of CLOVERFIELD have used something so beautifully witty as 'Roar!', or demanded something a lot Arnold-like? I reckon they'd want it played totally seriously. Thank heavens a good composer was given an extensive end credits space to do such a substantial piece, surely one of the best pieces of American film music we'll hear this year.

Very well put! smile

NP : nothing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Nim's Island (Doyle)

Wow...I never thought I could say that but....I would prefer an "eragon 3 " here...

Goblet of Fire , Eragon and the last Legion at least had some strong cues.

Nim's Island is one of Doyle's most generic score, and this "childish" music is taken directly from Zimmer's Little Polar Bear 2 or Jablonsky's Steamboy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

Beautiful score that's very un-English considering the Thomas Hardy source but it works perfectly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote

I really enjoyed HP & The Goblet of Fire, but The Last Legion bores me to death, even though I can't really say why. The lack of a catchy theme, perhaps. I'm now listening to Randy Edelman's Daylight, an album I tend to skim through quite often. Oddly enough, I've been in a Sylvester Stallone kind of mood lately, giving repeated listens to the amazing First Blood: Part II after my girlfriend asked to watch the film (go figure biggrin), which I had'nt watched in a long, long time. Anyway, Daylight is very generic, but Latura's Theme and Leaving George are part of those 'guilty-pleasure' kind of mediocre tracks I shamelessly listen to every now and then. A bit like Eric Serra's GoldenEye Overture or Gary Chang's Casey Gets In Touch from Under Siege biggrin

NP: waiting for A short swing under water to end, and then moving on to an album I really like: Trevor Jones' Cleopatra I only discovered this recently. So far Trevor Jones' scores have never left me disappointed, not even G.I. Jane, and once again, this one delivers — and it is definitely going to end in an upcoming radio show sooner or later. Looking forward to hearing more by Trevor Jones in the near future ...

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Duma - John Debney and George Acogny

A very soothing and wonderfully moving score full of lovely African textures and rhythms. Something to chill me out before I tackle the workload ahead.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

Wow...I never thought I could say that but....I would prefer an "eragon 3 " here...

Nim's Island is one of Doyle's most generic score, and this "childish" music is taken directly from Zimmer's Little Polar Bear 2 or Jablonsky's Steamboy.

Ah well. I thought it was better than Goblet of Fire, Eragon and The Last Legion combined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ah well. I thought it was better than Goblet of Fire, Eragon and The Last Legion combined.

You rated those scores very high....so You really have to think it's a fu_king maserpiece.

I found a really, really bland and generic score....

NP:Roar! ( the "lost" guy)

This 9 minutes pieces is far better than the 2 hours of David Arnold's Godzilla.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TREVOR RABIN - the 6th day

oh my god rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

This 9 minutes pieces is far better than the 2 hours of David Arnold's Godzilla.

No it's not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    TREVOR RABIN - the 6th day

oh my god rolleyes

LOL, first listen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes; and the last, i already deleted it from my hd. Same goes for his awful BAD COMPANY.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yes;

I was going to say. It's not a score I'd like to return to myself.

Stick to his fantastic suite from The Guardian. Now that's top stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Catch Me If You Can | John Williams

I absolutely love this gem of a score. It's touching, funny, warm, and very charming. I also love the film just as much, so it's nice to be reminded of the story when listening to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Catch Me If You Can | John Williams

I absolutely love this gem of a score. It's touching, funny, warm, and very charming. I also love the film just as much, so it's nice to be reminded of the story when listening to it.

I've never heard it! I must find it in the coming weeks. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Battlestar Galactica Season 2- Bear McCreary
    This guy is amazing. It's like, Zimmer on steroids...the good healthy kind of steroids which means people that don't like Zimmer should like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Nim's Island - Patrick Doyle

This one's going to be really popular. It's great!

Wow, young and...younger agree again! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  2. Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

No it's not.

What if I said instead that it's better than the best 9 minutes in the 2 hours of David Arnold's GODZILLA? (Which is no surprise, and probably not a fair comparison, since it's written for end credits, and therefore can do whatever it wants instead of running here and there with the monster.) wink

NP: Youth without Youth (Golijov)

I imagine Golijov will be doing Coppola's Argentinian-based project Tetro as well (since he is Argentinian). It will be interesting to hear where he goes from here as a film composer. A very haunting, romantic start.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Have you seen Youth Without Youth? I don't think it's even been released here (if it was, I missed it) but, well, Coppola is Coppola and I feel I owe him enough to see whatever he makes.
  3. I haven't seen YWY, and it hasn't been released in Australia yet. I'm told it's not that good by reputable media outlets, but on this one, I'm not going to buy into the anti-hype until I've seen it. Media enterprises seem to have a vested interest in making any personal independent films by great film-makers seem like an indulgence not to be tolerated. They'd rather our lives were enriched by the films with serious advertising budgets and a crack at a mass audience.

Have you heard YWY?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

No it's not.

Gotta stand with Stevie boy here.

When you have only 9 minutes to listen to it's very easy to give it your undivided attention and play it over and over and over until it seems like the greatest piece of music you've ever heard in your life although really it's just a steroid injected version of Akira Ifukube's genius!

Ain't that right Jordi!? rolleyes wink

And yeah, I love it too!
  4. Timmer wrote
    When you have only 9 minutes to listen to it's very easy to give it your undivided attention and play it over and over and over until it seems like the greatest piece of music you've ever heard in your life although really it's just a steroid injected version of Akira Ifukube's genius!

I guess an energetic tribute to Akira Ifukube would get my vote most days of the week over whatever it is David Arnold's paying homage to. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2008 edited
    Just got back from Delhi after two nearly sleepless nights studying in the train and taking the exam yesterday, which thankfully went pretty well IMO (results will be out in two weeks).

NP: Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King (Complete Recordings) by Howard Shore
    Nothing better than relaxing with this amazing score after all this exam mania punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

No it's not.

Gotta stand with Stevie boy here.

Ain't that right Jordi!? rolleyes wink

And yeah, I love it too!

Exactly. You can't compare a 9 minute piece - brilliant though it is - to a 2 hour score. They're two different beasts, if you'll excuse the pun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I'm curious for the Doyle score, I like his style! Especially Frankenstein, Secondhand Lions and others.

NP. A favourite of mine Himalaya by Bruno Coulais. A really beautiful main theme and a good mix of orchestra and local instruments and chants.