• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008 edited
    Was Playing American Gangster (Marc Streitenfeld)
    sleep booooring sleep booooring

NP The Crow - Salvation (Marco Beltrami)
    I don´t know exactly why, but this is a score I have to come back to very often. Every day I like more this kind of Beltrami´s dark writing. Plus, the main and love themes are so addictive. A perfect choice if you wanna hear a trio of his darkest scores (being T3 and Underworld - Evolution the other two).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Matt C wrote
    NP: The Grudge 2 - Christopher Young

A masterful horror score -- and features one of Young's most beautiful horror themes. A brilliant cacophony of dissonance and symphonic beauty. Wonderful stuff!

Couldn't agree more, that is a very effective and cleverly constructed horror score by the master of the genre.

I heard the first THE GRUDGE last night ( on TV ) and was impressed by Young's score, he really does put more into his horror scoring than most composers in the shock / horror genre and even infuses *gasp* melody into them.

The second (score) is much better. Check it out, the main theme is soooo good.

Indeed, the 2nd score is far better!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

Had some of the music been composed by Powell himself we´d be all praising this score by the way.

We'd all? Hey, don't assume everyone's in that group.

Change all of us for most of us then.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Fantastic Golden age score from one of the 20th century's greatest geniuses.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DAYS OF HEAVEN - Ennio Morricone

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Definitely, Maybe - Clint Mansell
    It's like The Holiday, Lite Version.

Although on second thought, its actually more like one of Powell's romantic comedy scores.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Steven wrote
    You're weird. Ratatouille is a wonderful film with characters you genuinely care for... I really can't see why anyone can call this "weak"!? Very shocking to say the least.

I was disappointed with Ratatouille when I saw it at the cinema and much preferred the short Lifted that showed before the main feature.

I couldn't understand why everyone raved about this movie. I've seen it again a couple of times on DVD and my feeling on this movie hasn't changed. I'd say that there are several Pixar movies that I enjoy more than Ratatouille - both Toy Story movies, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc....
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Matt C wrote
    NP: The Grudge 2 - Christopher Young

A masterful horror score -- and features one of Young's most beautiful horror themes. A brilliant cacophony of dissonance and symphonic beauty. Wonderful stuff!

Couldn't agree more, that is a very effective and cleverly constructed horror score by the master of the genre.

I heard the first THE GRUDGE last night ( on TV ) and was impressed by Young's score, he really does put more into his horror scoring than most composers in the shock / horror genre and even infuses *gasp* melody into them.

The second (score) is much better. Check it out, the main theme is soooo good.

Agreed. The score for The Grudge 2 is a more enjoyable listen than the first film - and much better than the various versions of the Ju-on Japanese original (Shiro Sato (movie versions) & Gary Ashiya (straight-to-video versions)).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

Another great epic score by Silvestri, like Van Helsing. The action music is superb, and Beowulf's theme is perfect!

Completely agree!

I can't completely agree. I will agree that it is a fun listen but I wouldn't say that the score is GREAT. IMHO, it's one of the weakest Zemeckis/Silvstri scores. It's a derivative Silvestri score but I will admit that it is fun to listen to. And the Seduction theme, IMHO, is the highlight of the score. Works like a charm in the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    You're weird. Ratatouille is a wonderful film with characters you genuinely care for... I really can't see why anyone can call this "weak"!? Very shocking to say the least.

I was disappointed with Ratatouille when I saw it at the cinema and much preferred the short Lifted that showed before the main feature.

I couldn't understand why everyone raved about this movie. I've seen it again a couple of times on DVD and my feeling on this movie hasn't changed. I'd say that there are several Pixar movies that I enjoy more than Ratatouille - both Toy Story movies, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc....

I'm with ya on this one. This was the first Pixar film that had all the Disney cliches that has plagued other Disney animated films. While the animation itself was most impressive and The Critic was a brilliant character (perfectly portrayed by Peter O'Toole) the story itself and cardboard characters didn't interest me at all. It's a rare Pixar film that I probably will never re-visit again. The other is A Bug's Life.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I think that you've hit the nail on the head (I thought that I'd stick with the cliché theme), Erik. I hadn't thought about the involvement of Disney being responsible for the majority of the characters being the way they are - I didn't really find them very interesting.

The animation is DEFINITELY the best thing on this movie. And that's what will probably attract me to this film again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Same here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Stop-Loss - John Powell

First listen...

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let us know! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're all weird. REALLY weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Roar! (Michael Giacchino)
    It´s so addictive that I can´t help playing it again and again. Loud as hell of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really loved Ratatouille. A top, top film.

NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - great fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Let us know! wink

Well it's certainly very moody and some parts are quite emotional, especially the final cue. The percussion in Going Awol really reminds of United 93.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

Had some of the music been composed by Powell himself we´d be all praising this score by the way.

We'd all? Hey, don't assume everyone's in that group.

Yup, I for one certainly wouldn't be praising it. wink

LSH wrote
    The percussion in Going Awol really reminds of United 93.

Yes! kiss punk
  4. RATATOUILLE was sweet confirmation that if I go to the cinema to watch an animated American film, it better be a Pixar one. Because they are the only ones that genuinely satisfy.

I suppose the idea of a film about cooking and romance in Paris doesn't really register with people like their previous films: a loving parody of superhero stories, a search for a lost child story (how many of THOSE has Disney made?), a story about how monsters aren't really monsters (illuminating what true friendship means), a story about how toys aren't really toys (illuminating what true friendship means)... you probably get the point.

NP: The Third Man (Anton Karas)

I could luxuriate in that 'Cafe Waltz' and 'Harry Lime's theme' for hours. I think I have been actually. The Cd's been on repeat. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    RATATOUILLE was sweet confirmation that if I go to the cinema to watch an animated American film, it better be a Pixar one. Because they are the only ones that genuinely satisfy.

I suppose the idea of a film about cooking and romance in Paris doesn't really register with people like their previous films:

That wasn't the problem.... it's the that the script wasn't interesting and neither were the characters.

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    RATATOUILLE was sweet confirmation that if I go to the cinema to watch an animated American film, it better be a Pixar one. Because they are the only ones that genuinely satisfy.

I suppose the idea of a film about cooking and romance in Paris doesn't really register with people like their previous films:

That wasn't the problem.... it's the that the script wasn't interesting and neither were the characters.

-Erik-

Nice, but you're not getting off the hook with such a general and vague dismissal... what wasn't interesting about either script or characters? Focus on one character - a main character. What would have made them interesting? Take Remy and compare him to Mr Incredible or Woody and tell me what makes the latter two interesting and the first one not. And if it doesn't in some way come down to the type of story they're trying to tell (the genre, the subtext and the theme), count me surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Nice, but you're not getting off the hook with such a general and vague dismissal... what wasn't interesting about either script or characters? Focus on one character - a main character. What would have made them interesting? Take Remy and compare him to Mr Incredible or Woody and tell me what makes the latter two interesting and the first one not. And if it doesn't in some way come down to the type of story they're trying to tell (the genre, the subtext and the theme), count me surprised.

I'm not getting into a film debate with you because I have better things to do with my time. I didn't like the script, i didn't like the characters, i didn't like the film... sorry, that's all you are getting out of me and you are just going to have to deal with it. Why don't you go play with your moviemusic.com friends if you want to read 2000 word film reviews and debates that cover dozens pages and go around in circles. Not interested. Plus, this is the NOW PLAYING thread and it again has gone off topic. slant

-Erik-
  6. Touche. I didn't think you'd go for it. I suppose it annoys me to see people slam the work of others without trying to explain it. Let's face it, you guys would be on me like a pack of dogs if I went after one of your favourite scores without any arguments in support. (Though even then I'd fear for my life.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Touche. I didn't think you'd go for it. I suppose it annoys me to see people slam the work of others without trying to explain it. Let's face it, you guys would be on me like a pack of dogs if I went after one of your favourite scores without any arguments in support. (Though even then I'd fear for my life.)

Actually, I did make an argument about why I disliked the film back at scorereviews and again here at Maintitles... at least I think I did. Anyway, I'm a radio guy so I have to be short and sweet with what I'm saying ( although that sometimes isn't the case wink ) but right now I have no time to review a film that I saw once, didn't really like and found only a few quality moments that match the magic of other Pixar films. To be honest, I have no interest in completely dissecting a film to death because for me doing such sucks the fun out of watching movies. Sure, I like to have good debates now and then about movies with friends and you people here on-line but never to a point where we analyze every little microscopic bit of the movie.

-Erik-
  7. Sure sure... I remember your remarks about RATATOUILLE a while back in the 'Recent Viewing' thread (?), but at the time I'd not bothered to ask what it was that made some Pixar characters interesting, and others less so. If there was even a short answer (no painstaking dissection necessary! wink ), I'd be curious what it was.

As to my moviemusic.com 'friends', believe it or not (and you may find this amazing! biggrin ), Sean is actually not the best person to have a reasonable discussion about a film with. Having you, him and Tintin as my model Canadians hasn't given me much insight into the nation's 'soul' so far. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sure sure... I remember your remarks about RATATOUILLE a while back in the 'Recent Viewing' thread (?), but at the time I'd not bothered to ask what it was that made some Pixar characters interesting, and others less so. If there was even a short answer (no painstaking dissection necessary! wink ), I'd be curious what it was.

As to my moviemusic.com 'friends', believe it or not (and you may find this amazing! biggrin ), Sean is actually not the best person to have a reasonable discussion about a film with. Having you, him and Tintin as my model Canadians hasn't given me much insight into the nation's 'soul' so far. wink

Canada's soul is hockey. That's all you need to know. And if you are a Canadian and don't like hockey then you don't have a soul.

-Erik-
  8. I had what is called by Australians a 'Canadian breakfast' this morning. French toast with bacon and caramelised banana. I'm told no Canadian would recognise it! (On the other hand, my brother lived in the east provinces for two years, and I do hear there's a very fine breakfast franchise that Canadians enjoy, for which I greatly envy them.)

Back on topic, somewhat south of Canada is found Montana, the land where John Dumbar

DANCES WITH WOLVES (Barry)

As Southall and I were reflecting the other day, it's funny that the only 'dated' cue on this is the fireside dancing music, very typical of the world music - new age pop fusion of the late 80s!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    I had what is called by Australians a 'Canadian breakfast' this morning. French toast with bacon and caramelised banana. I'm told no Canadian would recognise it! (On the other hand, my brother lived in the east provinces for two years, and I do hear there's a very fine breakfast franchise that Canadians enjoy, for which I greatly envy them.)

A CANADIAN breakfast?! I don't think there is such a thing. Caramelized banana? slant I mean, for me in the morning it's either a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats or a killer breakfast containing 2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, 2 pieces bacon (I prefer turkey bacon) and home fries. Now that's good eating. Or I can make killer French Toast or Buttermilk Pancakes or my world famous omelet or... well, you get the point. There isn't just one Canadian breakfast.

However, at the local pub they serve something called the Big Erik... yes, that's the name of it... which is 3 eggs, bacon, Canadian bacon (back bacon), sausage, brown beans, home fries, toast and all the coffee and juice you can drink. So, I think once you add Canadian bacon to a breakfast order it becomes a Canadian breakfast.

Ok... back on topic.

NP: Nothing... watching some baseball.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008 edited
    A "Big Erik" is what we here in Britain would call a "Full English" ( you'd need to add mushrooms and the choice of tea or coffee ).

I might get an odd look if I ask for a Big Erik next time I'm in a cafe wink

As for the "caramalised banana?", well, Martijn still seems to think a Brit breakfast consists of Haddock with a poached egg on top rolleyes wink

p.s. A breakfast for me is a bowl of cornflakes or buttered toast plus coffee smile