• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008 edited
    And you know what mate? It REALLY baffles me how come it is SO underrated. Is it the movie it accompanies? Is it the weird title? 'Cause musically speaking, it is perhaps Doyle's most passionate and melodic, breathtaking score out there and it's SO odd that so few people are actually aware of it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008
    NP: Godzilla - David Arnold

Most here know that I'm a HUGE fan of this score. I think it's an absolutely PERFECT action score and one of the best of the 90's. Anyway, one thing that really impresses me is Shawn Murphy's recording. Whether it's the mastering or that Murphy changed up styles to match what Arnold wanted or not this could quite possibly be Shawn Murphy's greatest achievement... right up there with his glorious recording of Williams' Summon the Heroes album and The Phantom Menace. Usually, the man records stuff with sooooo much reverb and soooo much bass that it's almost impossible to enjoy the music itself. But in this case Murphy managed to balance everything out perfectly. When that bass drum pounds away, or those growling trombones blast away... you can really feel it! But, unlike other Murphy recordings the low frequencies don't over modulate or get in the way of the rest orchestra. Really powerful stuff and my hat's off to Murphy. Well done!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    And you know what mate? It REALLY baffles me how come it is SO underrated. Is it the movie it accompanies? Is it the weird title? 'Cause musically speaking, it is perhaps Doyle's most passionate and melodic, breathtaking score out there and it's SO odd that so few people are actually aware of it!

No one has heard of it. It's the same thing that plagued Christopher Gordon's brilliant ON THE BEACH. There is really nothing that you can do but try and point out these gems to other people and hope they take a chance.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

As Erik says, it's not so much that it's underrated, rather than it's just not rated, because nobody's heard it. They should, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Mom and Dad Save the World - Jerry Goldsmith

Not his finest hour, perhaps, but it's a really fun album featuring a delightful main theme.
  1. NP: Legend of Butch and Sundance (Poledouris)

Good stuff.

(And good review of RAIDERS, James! I like this one: "being an exceptionally young man myself, I can only imagine how film music fans felt when they were watching this film in the cinema and heard this theme for the first time.")
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Legend of Butch and Sundance (Poledouris)

Good stuff.

(And good review of RAIDERS, James! I like this one: "being an exceptionally young man myself, I can only imagine how film music fans felt when they were watching this film in the cinema and heard this theme for the first time.")

While I didn't see the film in the cinema I can still remember that Monday afternoon when I was a young tyke, watching the movie with my Mom for the very first time. What a thrill.

GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Strangely enough I was brought up on Temple of Doom. It was one of about five films I would watch incessantly on video. (We didn't have Raiders on video.)
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    James, I completely agree with you. Temple came first, Raiders second and Crusade third.

And while you guys all drool and rave about Raiders and Godzilla, I just find them overrated. I've already discussed why in a previous "now playing thread", so I'll just leave it at that.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    And while you guys all drool and rave about Raiders and Godzilla, I just find them overrated. I've already discussed why in a previous "now playing thread", so I'll just leave it at that.

Again, not everyone is perfect. It's Ok, Matt... don't cry.... you'll come around.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

Again, not everyone is perfect. It's Ok, Matt... don't cry.... you'll come around.

-Erik-

I bought 'Raiders' on LP when it was first released, can you believe that I was "totally unimpressed" at that time and played Goldsmith's Outland which came out at the same time far more shocked

Hey I was young rolleyes Seeing the film a few Months later was a near religious experience cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    *looks at Erik's comments, sighs in exasperation*

I've seen Raiders numerous times and I've haven't "come around". Maybe you should stop trying! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    *looks at Erik's comments, sighs in exasperation*

I've seen Raiders numerous times and I've haven't "come around". Maybe you should stop trying! wave

No need. You don't like it... fine. You're loss. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: This Girl for Hire - Bruce Broughton

The soundclips have officially sold me on this score. I'm usually not a fan of jazz music (at least not in large amounts), but the theme is just so richly seductive and the orchestration is subtle and colorful, even if it does betray the decade it was composed in.
  2. NP: Highlights from DAS RHEINGOLD and GOTTERDAMMERUNG

Having now listened to an audio essay which introduces the listener to the motific development of Wagner's Ring Cycle I can now understand why people so confidently claim that no film score has ever reached these heights. Truly incredible! (Particularly in the concluding sections of GOTTERDAMMERUNG.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2008 edited
    NP: Atlantis - The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

IMO this excellent score was the strongest factor in one of Disney's not-so-good animated films. I only watched a part of it on the TV, but while the plot and animation seemed rather weak, the music is amazing, both on screen and the CD. Action cues like "The Leviathan" and 'Just Do It" fit perfectly with the visuals and "Going After Rourke" is a simply superb piece of work with a terrific crescendo and the main theme in a great performance! Brilliant stuff punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Just reading this page has convinced me to get Nim's Island and Indy & The Emperor's Tomb. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Prisoner of Azkaban (John Williams)

One of my top 10 Williams scores. YES! It is!.

Pure feeling of magic and medieval!

I don't like very much the action stuff, but the softer stuff is SO GOOD!

"double trouble" and "window to the past" themes are so good.... "buckbeacks Fligh" so Magic...."forward to time past" so original....
  3. Nautilus wrote
    "I don't like very much the action stuff"

" "buckbeacks Fligh" so Magic...."

Eh??

NP: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Howard Shore (original Release)
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

Damn it, I need this too. slant

/added to list
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Enchanted - Alan Menken

Underrated but a very fine score by Alan. "Storybook Ending" and "Enchanted Suite" are two really superb cues that I just can't stop listening to!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote

Underrated but a very fine score by Alan. "Storybook Ending" and "Enchanted Suite" are two really superb cues that I just can't stop listening to!!

I don't get it, but my brain just doesn't click with Menken's music. There's always something that really irritates me! crazy dizzy I love his style when he really gets into it, I just wish my brain liked the rest! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Me neither. Can't stand it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Nautilus wrote

One of my top 10 Williams scores. YES! It is!.

Pure feeling of magic and medieval!

I don't like very much the action stuff, but the softer stuff is SO GOOD!

Just... go away. Please. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I don't get it, but my brain just doesn't click with Menken's music. There's always something that really irritates me! crazy dizzy I love his style when he really gets into it, I just wish my brain liked the rest! sad

Depends on one's taste, I guess. I love his music wink

NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

I rarely used to listen to this before I watched the movie, but when I noticed how nicely it fit in with the visuals, I began to like it better. I only wish it had a prominent main theme... but I like it anyway wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    Anthony wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Depends on one's taste, I guess. I love his music wink

NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

I rarely used to listen to this before I watched the movie, but when I noticed how nicely it fit in with the visuals, I began to like it better. I only wish it had a prominent main theme... but I like it anyway wink

Don't get me wrong, I love his ''sound''. It is Disney, but the rest just comes accross differently. slant sad

Uh-oh, I won't start on Thomas Newman. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^^LOL about Thomas Newman... I just kinda listen to it in an easygoing way. wink

NP: Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri

Bring - It - ON!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really like Menken.

I really like T Newman.

I really don't like Van Helsing.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    cool