• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. All this talk is making me hungry. smile

NP: Kundun (Glass)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008
    All this breakfast talk is making me hungry!

NP: Naked Lunch - Howard Shore biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Stop-Loss - John Powell

Giving this another spin before I go to college. The highlights for me are Going Awol (love the United 93-like percussion), Both Kinds Of Danger and obviously The Greatest Tragedy. Overall I think it's a rather good score.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Mulan (Promo) - Jerry Goldsmith
    A pleasant score filled with Goldsmith-isms, including The Goldsmith Bridge Theme (no one will ask me what I mean by that)
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    A pleasant score filled with Goldsmith-isms, including The Goldsmith Bridge Theme (no one will ask me what I mean by that)

What do you mean by that.
  2. What's the 'Goldsmith Bridge Theme'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm thinking The Ghost & The Darkness. Probably not that though...

Revenge Of The Sith | John Williams

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a theme John Williams wrote in 1994 to commemorate the 7th anniversary of the Goldsmith Bridge, near Boston.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

What do you mean by that.

Ahhh!

Wait there's no question mark so you really didn't ASK me see wink

Well there's this melody that seems to pop up in every other Goldsmith score that creates a sort of bridge between renditions of the main theme...I think it's most obvious in First Contact and Air Force One. It appears in Mulan but it's not really so much a bridge there. But it is still...The Goldsmith Bridge Theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote

Yeh, Mulan's one of my favourite Goldsmith scores! The promo version is excellent.
  3. Scribe wrote

Well there's this melody that seems to pop up in every other Goldsmith score that creates a sort of bridge between renditions of the main theme...I think it's most obvious in First Contact and Air Force One. It appears in Mulan but it's not really so much a bridge there. But it is still...The Goldsmith Bridge Theme.

Ah! I know exactly what you mean. There's a very similar bridge in the main dramatic themes of FIRST CONTACT, AIR FORCE ONE, THE EDGE and MULAN. (Even in POWDER, to an extent.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

Ah! I know exactly what you mean. There's a very similar bridge in the main dramatic themes of FIRST CONTACT, AIR FORCE ONE, THE EDGE and MULAN. (Even in POWDER, to an extent.)

Wow you mean I'm not crazy??? punk

NP: The Water Horse - James Newton Howard
    On the first listen I thought...kind of generic but at least its better than Howard's last few scores. Now this is about my 20th listen and its become one of my very favorite Howard scores. You know you have a mature work when you get to your 20th listen and are still discovering new things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Godzilla (arnold)

Cape of Fear, Speed, The lost World , Independence day , James Bond ...a great enteratinament.

Notvery original Thought
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Godzilla (arnold)

Notvery original Thought

rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Godzilla (arnold)

Notvery original Thought

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Godzilla (arnold)

Speed

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Vol. 2 - Joel McNeely

I just finished with The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Vol. 4 featuring the outstanding yet very derevitive and unoriginal score by McNeely... but it still packs a punch and have that Williamsesque sound that you want to hear in an adventure score of this type.

I've moved onto Vol. 2 which features I think McNeely's best score for the series "German East Africa 1916 / The Congo" There is a great rendition of McNeely's own, original Young Indy theme which I wish they used instead of Rosenthal's goofy theme that opened up each show. McNeely also shamelessly channels Michael Kamen's Robin Hood in the track "Desert Storm." Man, did mcNeely ever get away with murder in this series. Temp track heaven. Anyway, there's a lot of solid music which sticks close to the adventure stylings of Williams... and Kamen and countless other composers I guess. slant But it's fun to listen to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Village - James Newton Howard

Behold the power of Howard's music, which can express emotions better than words! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Saving Sarah Cain - Mark McKenzie
    More subdued than his last work, The Last Sin Eater, but full of moments of sutble beauty.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Godzilla (arnold)

Speed

rolleyes

Well one of Mancina´s "Speed" themes is there, and pretty blatantly if you ask me.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    More subdued than his last work, The Last Sin Eater, but full of moments of sutble beauty.

smile

How many listens 'till now mate? I guarantee you that after 5 you'll be so taken by it eventually!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Godzilla (arnold)

Speed

rolleyes

Well one of Mancina´s "Speed" themes is there, and pretty blatantly if you ask me.

What, a few notes at the start of the theme? No it's not f*cking blatant, if you ask me. It's more of a Barry theme than anything else, and it's friggin awesome. Learn the difference between coincidence, influence and blatant ripping for the love of god!

angry

I have a headache. Go figure. Excuse my grouchiness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

smile

How many listens 'till now mate? I guarantee you that after 5 you'll be so taken by it eventually!

4, and those have all been on my cheap little speakers at work and really quiet. My next will have to be properly, at home!

NP: Hitman - Geoff Zanelli
    Well it doesn't DIRECTLY quote the Bourne theme...
    A decent score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Godzilla (arnold)

Speed

rolleyes

What, a few notes at the start of the theme? No it's not f*cking blatant, if you ask me. It's more of a Barry theme than anything else, and it's friggin awesome. Learn the difference between coincidence, influence and blatant ripping for the love of god!

angry

It's like saying Godzilla is in The World Is Not Enough...and it is! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Godzilla (arnold)

Speed

rolleyes

angry

Yeah, that main title has a great Barry vibe to it! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Beneath the Planet of the Apes - Leonard Rosenman

Blimey, this is a tough listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    JELLYSMOKE | peter calandra

Laid back jazz! Very smooth and chill music for a cosy evening, unlike Unknown Soldier (also by Calandra) which had much more tempo and action. Jellysmoke plays around a couple of gentle themes, one lovely for piano. I especially like the Jellysmoke (Reprise) track with that almost hypnotic theme, and it's defenitely linked to the more calmer moments of his Unknown Soldier. Fine music!
    Kazoo
  4. Southall wrote
    NP: Beneath the Planet of the Apes - Leonard Rosenman

Blimey, this is a tough listen.

All praise to you, Almighty Bomb! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

smile

I totally agree! This guy's talent completely astounds me. How can it be ignored to the extent that it so obviously is?

NP: United 93 - John Powell

Awesome finale duo. The percussion in The End is sooo good.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008 edited
    Doing a bit of random cue playing on my mp3 player:

- "Preface/Villains In Zone/Main Title March" - Superman II - Ken Thorne
    The use of a smaller orchestra compared with the original Superman isn't as problematic compared with Conan I & II.
    - "Recuerdo" - El Viaje de Carol - Bingen Mendizábal
    - "Due Spari Nel Buio" - Due Spari Nel Buio - Piernicola Di Muro
    I met Piernicola at the first SONCINEMAD and he was kind enough to give me some of his stuff. A lovely cue for small ensemble players including piano, guitar, etc. Almost minimalist in style with several repeating motifs.
    - "Burning The Forest" - The Brothers Grimm - Dario Marionelli
    - "Theme" - Lifeforce - Henry Mancini
    One of the catchiest themes around.
    - "You Go, We Go" - Backdraft - Hans Zimmer
    - "A Child Recalled" - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal
    Beautiful!
    - "Main Title Theme" - Rome - Jeff Beal
    - "Walkin' Talkin' Man" - Regarding Henry - Hans Zimmer
    - "Enter The Wormhole" - Timeline - Brian Tyler
    - "Burning Tree" - The Ring Two - Henning Lohner, et al
    - "Nomad Surprise" - Flight of The Phoenix - Marco Beltrami
    This one cue contains all that's good about Beltrami's music!!
    - "End Credits" - Raiders of The Lost Ark - John Williams
    - "Muerte de Domínguez" - La Comunidad - Roque Baños
    Ominous and tense, Baños makes good use of low end piano against urgent strings. Great stuff!
    - "Ride To Church" - Amanda - Basil Poledouris
    - "The Great Water" - The Great Water - Kiril Dzajkovski
    Take a listen - http://cdbaby.com/cd/kirildzajkovski3
    - "Father and Mother" - Good Bye, Lenin! - Yann Tiersen
    There's some excellent piano solo cues in this score. A score I frequently return to. If I remember correctly Bregje put me on to this one ages ago.
    - "The Great Rescue" - Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain - Joel McNeely
    McNeely frequently comes out with some dramatic scoring and this cue highlights that talent.
    - "The Arrival" - Needful Things - Patrick Doyle
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn