• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008
    The Knack---John Barry

A nice light jazzy score with a cool theme (repeated a lot) with emphasis on the organ.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    The Knack---John Barry

A nice light jazzy score with a cool theme (repeated a lot) with emphasis on the organ.

Wicked Hammond playing on that score! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Gladiator Hans Zimmer

Haven't listened to it for a while...Bliss

And then Moving onto

NP: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi John Williams

4 Disc Anthology Anthology Version
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Robots | John Powell

Only to be listened to with shorts and a Summer shirt of some kind. That's how Summery this score is! cheesy
  2. In the past few days : Powell, Powell & Powell !

Bourne 1, 2 & 3, then X-Men 3, Horton twice yesterday (amazing final scene (film & music)), Stop-Loss, Happy Feet (definitely the best depressing score ever biggrin), Jumper (love the themes punk), Mr. & Mrs. Smith and to finish : Robots (beerbeer)...

And a bit of John Williams => Hook... It was the first time I listened to that one apart from the movie (I have seen the movie a million times)...smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Musketeer - David Arnold

A great, GREAT ride! Rousing action material with two solid themes (the main theme and love theme) The emotional climax comes with the brilliant, noble variation on the main theme in "Ceremony." Those woodwinds fluttering above the theme is spine tingling. Arnold really knows how to close out a score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Happy Feet (definitely the best depressing score ever biggrin)

shocked confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He probably means that about UNITED 93?

Oh and on why you love JUMPER.......which themes confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The Knack---John Barry

My turn.....

NP : THE KNACK - John Barry

Excellent swinging score cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Previously, i was listening to PATRICK DOYLE - the last legion which bored me

and switched to the awesome ERAGON.

Since you're going to hear it 1000 times on a Doyle CD, it's all a matter of a great theme eventually setting the score that carries it apart a mediocre one wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

sleep x 1,000,000 for both!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: HORTON HEARS A WHO - John Powell

Varese just send me a copy, and I'm giving the endsuite a spin to get the vibe of the score. I've got to say I really love the style and sounds, with some great brass for the elephantey sound and a lot of other inventive use of instruments. Much better then Ice Age 2, but hey, this is just the suite, so I won't comment any further till I've heard some more smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Since you're going to hear it 1000 times on a Doyle CD, it's all a matter of a great theme eventually setting the score that carries it apart a mediocre one wink

I prefer Last Legion myself. But both of those are blown away by the terrific Nim's Island - Doyle at his very, very best.
  3. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I prefer Last Legion myself. But both of those are blown away by the terrific Nim's Island - Doyle at his very, very best.

Hmn, then I'm pretty looking forward to Nim's Island if you say so James wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Nim's Island is pretty good. Lovely theme and some thunderous action material that sounds like nothing I've ever heard from Doyle. I wouldn't say it's one of his all time best, but next to As You Like It and Harry Potter, it one of his best in recent memory.

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Nim's Island is pretty good. Lovely theme and some thunderous action material that sounds like nothing I've ever heard from Doyle. I wouldn't say it's one of his all time best, but next to As You Like It and Harry Potter, it one of his best in recent memory.

-Erik-

Now I'm even more intruiged smile
    Bregt, BREGT, the 20th of April! You hear me? biggrin
  5. now listening to

Water by Mychael Danna & A.R. Rahman

From what I heard so far, this is a pretty good background score with some nice moments, the songs are especially good
  6. Anthony wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

shocked confused

Yeah I know it sounds weird... But to me, the film is depressing, the plot is depressing, and so is the score... Of course, not the whole thing is depressing (it remains an animated movie after all), but it's deeper than any Disney or DreamWorks animated film...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

shocked confused

Yeah I know it sounds weird... But to me, the film is depressing, the plot is depressing, and so is the score... Of course, not the whole thing is depressing (it remains an animated movie after all), but it's deeper than any Disney or DreamWorks animated film...

A sheet of A4 paper is deeper than any DreamWorks animated film, but I don't really see what made Happy Feet deep? I liked it - but is it any more than the classic Disney formula of "outcast becoming beloved"?

I don't find anythinig about it depressing - including the delightful score!

NP: Nim's Island
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Agreed. I'm not generally a great big fan of his action/adventure scores, and this is one of my favourites. In terms of his output overall, in recent years I've loved As You Like It and Wah-Wah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Agreed. I'm not generally a great big fan of his action/adventure scores, and this is one of my favourites. In terms of his output overall, in recent years I've loved As You Like It and Wah-Wah.

Wah-Wah is very good, too.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Happy Feet is not DreamWorks, it's a Fox movie. Haven't seen it though, just didn't want it to be added to that list of DreamWorks movies. wink

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK | john williams

Listened to it a few times now and it just doesn't do the spectacle to me others seem to enjoy. There are a lot of slower, dark passages that I don't really ... dig. rolleyes Though, each time the March comes in, oosebumps arrive!

I kill myself now, before someone else does.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Well, we can't all be perfect. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Happy Feet is not DreamWorks, it's a Fox movie. Haven't seen it though, just didn't want it to be added to that list of DreamWorks movies. wink

Indeed. It's Warner. Who said it was DreamWorks? A decent film like that shouldn't suffer the indignity of being associated with DreamWorks Animation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK | john williams

Listened to it a few times now and it just doesn't do the spectacle to me others seem to enjoy. There are a lot of slower, dark passages that I don't really ... dig. rolleyes Though, each time the March comes in, oosebumps arrive!

I kill myself now, before someone else does.

Erik restrained himself well!

I reviewed this one yesterday, coincidentally (can't believe I hadn't done so earlier).

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/raiders_lost_ark.html

Fair to say I'm not quite in agreement with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

Indeed. It's Warner. Who said it was DreamWorks? A decent film like that shouldn't suffer the indignity of being associated with DreamWorks Animation.

Aah, got it interpreted the wrong way. You may slap me.
    :slap:
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

Aah, got it interpreted the wrong way. You may slap me.
    :slap:

goat
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just finished listen to some music from Clint Bajakian's Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. There's some stunning writing in that score that really sticks with the feel of the classic three film scores and adds something new as well. There is a great bad guy motif for the charcter Von Beck that if Williams writes something similar for Spalko's character in Crystal Skull then fans will go absolutely crazy! It's a great bad guy motif that follows in the footsteps of the Nazi's theme in Raiders and even Giacchino Nazi theme in Medal of Honor. The incorporation of Indy's theme is sparse which isn't a bad thing but when it does enter it fits right in :Ace Venture voice: "like a glove!". Damn good music!

NP: SPFM Tribute To Jerry Goldsmith - Jerry Goldsmith

Just listening to the 22 minute Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend suite to wet my appetite for when Intrada's release arrives. This is a solid score. For those familiar with the likes of Medicine Man, Legend and Rambo II will really appreciate the energy and inventiveness of this score. "The Rescue" should go down as one of Goldsmith's greatest action cues. Wow! shocked Big, meaty, and booming music. And the theme is ever so sweet and mysterious and gets a wonderful performance in the track "The Legend." I can't wait to hear the rest of this score. Another quality 80's score by the Maestro.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Wah-Wah is very good, too.

-Erik-

Wah-wah is my personal favorite Doyle score and no matter how loud we few loonies are shouting about it, it seems generally underrated sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wah-wah is my personal favorite Doyle score and no matter how loud we few loonies are shouting about it, it seems generally underrated sad

Agreed! One of his, if not, the most underrated Doyle score out there.

-Erik-