• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2008
    About Shawn Murphy:

Erik Woods wrote
    Usually, the man records stuff with sooooo much reverb and soooo much bass that it's almost impossible to enjoy the music itself.

May I ask which scores? He does a lot of John Powell's stuff and a lot of the time I think he handles them masterfully (he topped himself on Horton). smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    I really like Menken.

I really like T Newman.

I really don't like Van Helsing.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

cool SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSMOKIN' cool

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: CARS - Randy Newman

Again it looks like I'm one of those few people who like this one. But I love the themes and guitars in this one cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote

Again it looks like I'm one of those few people who like this one. But I love the themes and guitars in this one cool

This one's seriously underrated. I love it! Wish there was more score on the album (though from memory I'm not sure there was too much more in the film).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    DemonStar wrote

This one's seriously underrated. I love it! Wish there was more score on the album (though from memory I'm not sure there was too much more in the film).

Yeah! I got the oscar promo version which has quite some more score on it. Sounds really great! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    Southall wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Yeah! I got the oscar promo version which has quite some more score on it. Sounds really great! punk

I want it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    *awaits*

( biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2008 edited
    I could give you it... PM me your email address wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote

Thanks for the offer! I just found it at Ebay for very cheap... does yours have 18 tracks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    About Shawn Murphy:

Erik Woods wrote
    Usually, the man records stuff with sooooo much reverb and soooo much bass that it's almost impossible to enjoy the music itself.

May I ask which scores? He does a lot of John Powell's stuff and a lot of the time I think he handles them masterfully (he topped himself on Horton). smile

I agree that his work with Powell is superb. however, listen to A.I., The Patriot, The Postman, Outbreak, The Terminal, the action music in Casper, etc. The man is hot and cold... mostly cold.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Thanks for the offer! I just found it at Ebay for very cheap... does yours have 18 tracks?

Yeah it has 18 tracks. If you find it cheap, go for it! It's really worth it beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    About Shawn Murphy:

Erik Woods wrote

I agree that his work with Powell is superb. however, listen to A.I., The Patriot, The Postman, Outbreak, The Terminal, the action music in Casper, etc. The man is hot and cold... mostly cold.

-Erik-

Now I see what you mean. I didn't realise he did that. Let's hope Indy 4 turns out well. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

FASTEST DELIVERY EVER!

So, this was either the precursor to the wacky electronics in Legend and the pulse-pounding action material in First Blood: Part II or Goldsmith just carried this stuff over from those two films and injected them into this score. All 3 of those scores were written in the same year and all of the same elements are in each score.

Anyway, now that's I've heard the complete score I still have the same feeling about it when I listened to the 22 minute suite from the SPFM Tribute CD yesterday... "the action material is big, meaty, and booming while the theme is ever so sweet and mysterious." Wonderful stuff and another great release by Intrada.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    About Shawn Murphy:

Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Now I see what you mean. I didn't realise he did that. Let's hope Indy 4 turns out well. wink

If anything I would love for it to sound like his THE LOST WORLD recording. I have a feeling we will be hearing some similar jungle percussion in the Indy 4 score and THE LOST WORLD recording is pretty freaking awesome!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP--- The Snows of Kilimanjaro---Bernard Herrmann

The Morgan/Stromberg/Moscow Symphony recording was recently re-released to the budget Naxos label making this an excellent value especially when it goes on sale. The recording is exactly the same as the Marco Polo one with the difference being the liner notes.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    NP--- The Snows of Kilimanjaro---Bernard Herrmann

The Morgan/Stromberg/Moscow Symphony recording was recently re-released to the budget Naxos label making this an excellent value especially when it goes on sale. The recording is exactly the same as the Marco Polo one with the difference being the liner notes.

Ya... if you can find the original release GET IT! A lot of work went into the liner notes and I'm very disappointed to see that they didn't carry over to the budget Naxos re-releases.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

From one dino movie to another. This is an extraordinary action score.

-Erik-
  1. Veronica Guerin - Harry Gregson-Williams

One of his best works, sadly underrated. Amazing theme and Bad News is just pretty amazing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : EYE OF THE DEVIL - Gary McFarland

An odd and weirdly compelling score which very much shows the composers jazz roots. It's very good and I'll have to play it a few more times to really get my ears around it.

Well done FSM cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

The Beauty Killed The Beast cues are awesome, particularly the final one, which is really heartbreakingly sad.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Veronica Guerin - Harry Gregson-Williams

One of his best works, sadly underrated. Amazing theme and Bad News is just pretty amazing.

Is it really underrated? I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. Even I liked it!
  2. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Veronica Guerin - Harry Gregson-Williams

Is it really underrated? I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. Even I liked it!

The 4 masterpieces of HGW are =>

Kingdom of Heaven
    Sinbad
    Veronica Guerin
    Spy Game

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Right Stuff / North & South | Bill Conti

If only more recordings sounded like this. It makes most other modern recordings sounds flat and lifeless! (And I hate flat and lifeless recordings. slant )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

If only more recordings sounded like this. It makes most other modern recordings sounds flat and lifeless! (And I hate flat and lifeless recordings. slant )

I could never quite understand why Conti's music for The Right Stuff won the Oscar? There's not much to it beyond the rousing, patriotic theme.

I'll always be grateful to the film for introducing me to Mancini's excellent The White Dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Treasured ISland (Dodd)

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... rolleyes

It's impossible to copy Arnold Sound so exactly, if you are not the guy who invented it.

Even Zimmer sound never has been copied so exactly for any of his " creatures"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I could never quite understand why Conti's music for The Right Stuff won the Oscar? There's not much to it beyond the rousing, patriotic theme.

It won the Oscar? What, under the title for Best Non-Original Score for a Motion Picture? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It won the Oscar? What, under the title for Best Non-Original Score for a Motion Picture? shocked

Yup... and here is what it beat out!

Cross Check - Leonard Rosenman
    Return of the Jedi - John Williams
    Terms of Endearment - Michael Gore
    Under Fire- Jerry Goldsmith

Ummm... ya! Travesty!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've 'only' heard 50% of those scores you mentioned there Erik, but I certainly agree with you! I think Under Fire should have won out of the three I know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I've 'only' heard 50% of those scores you mentioned there Erik, but I certainly agree with you! I think Under Fire should have won out of the three I know.

Yupper!

-Erik-