• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Road to El Dorado

The powell track steals the show by far.....

Zimmer again goes to his confort Zone, and In his over dramatic approach.

Yeh. I like the score a lot, anyway smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Shadows of the Empire (Mcneely)

Mmmmm...Good, but not very good.

the first 5 tracks are unfocused, pure fireworks, but unfocused ...the final 4 tracks are quite impressives, thought

Xisor's theme is very, very good.

(Herrman's influence is obvious in some places)

Translation...

"It's good but it's not. I like it but I don't."

tongue

BTW, the first 5 tracks are spectacular. There is an incredible build up to the Imperial City theme in "Imperial City", the gargantuan action cue "The Battle of Gall" is only out done but a bigger cue at the end of the album and the break neck speed of "Beggar's Canyon Chase" it quite impressive. I wish McNeely has of expanded on his Dash Rendar theme though. For 2 weeks of work, this is a dynamite and fresh sounding score from start to finish!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean 3 - At World's End - Hans Zimmer

I'm in PoTC mood today, playing 'em one after the other punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Paycheck - John Powell

I don't think many other composers today offer quite the same amount of 'fun' as this guy does.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley

One of the very best animated scores ever.....in fact I'm hard pressed to think of a better one?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Having previously played JOHN BARRY's gorgeously romantic score for RUBY CAIRO and now switched to Edward Nicolay Artemyev's THE BARBER OF SIBERIA, i am drifting in a very nostalgic musical journey as we speak. Top class.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

Fook me, those main titles are just absolutely gorgeous...

shocked cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed mate, one of Newman's best scores for sure! Haunting music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    SECRET OF THE SAHARA | ennio morricone

Since I heard the main theme of this score some months ago (thanks Jordi!), it stuck forever in my head. It was my theme during my China trip (I always hummed it when not harmful tongue ) and so, I had to order the cd! Amzazing score, with a fantastic main theme. A much calmer score then I suspected. The dreamy vocals, floating quietly, like wind and sand over sand mountains, are the core of this score. And the song is quite good!

Next up is Diamonds are Forever.
    I think I only need 2 more Barry Bon scores now.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt, Did you pick the piece Zimmer copied in GLADIATOR? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yup. Kerim. wink

I'm sure it's sort of a hommage or something like that. Great theme too!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    SECRET OF THE SAHARA | ennio morricone

Since I heard the main theme of this score some months ago (thanks Jordi!), it stuck forever in my head. It was my theme during my China trip (I always hummed it when not harmful tongue ) and so, I had to order the cd! Amzazing score, with a fantastic main theme. A much calmer score then I suspected. The dreamy vocals, floating quietly, like wind and sand over sand mountains, are the core of this score. And the song is quite good!

Next up is Diamonds are Forever.
    I think I only need 2 more Barry Bon scores now.

Secret Of The Sahara is an excellent score!

What are the two missing Barry scores Bregt?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote

I have 9 of them now (Barry did 11 right?).

The only ones missing are Moonraker (but I remember you didn't like that one very much? Or wasn't very popular...) and The Man with th Golden Gun. smile

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER | john barry

Aaaaaah, Shirley is back! What a great theme song! cool

The album starts chill and with some fun tracks like Moon Buggy Ride and Circus, Circus, which I remember from that 4 disc compilation. The love theme just entered. I read in Southalls review that the expanded set of tracks will be the highlight though.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have 9 of them now (Barry did 11 right?).

The only ones missing are Moonraker (but I remember you didn't like that one very much? Or wasn't very popular...) and The Man with th Golden Gun. smile

Aaaaaah, Shirley is back! What a great theme song! cool

The album starts chill and with some fun tracks like Moon Buggy Ride and Circus, Circus, which I remember from that 4 disc compilation. The love theme just entered. I read in Southalls review that the expanded set of tracks will be the highlight though.

Diamonds Are Forever is an excellent Bond score and I'm afraid that 4 disc set doesn't do Barry any justice.

And check your PM Bregt cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That 4 disc set of James Bond was great Tim! Played that one many many times, especially the first disc. I know the reputation of Silva and some of their rerecordings, but I found this set to be great fun! Ofcourse, the real one is better. cool
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Deep Impact - James Horner

An underrated Horner effort IMO. The finale cue is lovely.

cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Die Hard 4.0 complete

Badass! "All Aboard" from :40-1:40 = punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt

I just heard a choir ina Bond score! A CHOIR! shocked lick
    The second half is mighty!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

I just heard a choir ina Bond score! A CHOIR! shocked lick
    The second half is mighty!

There's an excellent track on MOONRAKER, ( in fact, the best track on the album ) called 'Flight Into Space' that also features heavenly choirs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Medal of Honor - Airborne (M. Giacchino)
    Could be listening the last cue ("Medal of Honor: Airborne End Credits") for hours. If Giacchino does not compose ever again a MOH score, this cue is the PERFECT goodbye to the saga he started.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Started listening to River Queen by Karl Jenkins on the way to work today. I only got through the first few tracks so far, but it was a nice, easy way to start a Monday morning.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Having previously played JOHN BARRY's gorgeously romantic score for RUBY CAIRO and now switched to Edward Nicolay Artemyev's THE BARBER OF SIBERIA, i am drifting in a very nostalgic musical journey as we speak. Top class.

Artemyev's score is a cut above RUBY CAIRO, that's for sure. Much as I like the theme of RUBY CAIRO, it's not an album I tend to make it all the way through. It was certainly a surprise to me to hear THE BARBER OF SIBERIA, as I know Artemyev more for his purely electronic scores for Tarkovsky films like SOLARIS and THE MIRROR. BARBER is a romantic orchestral score in the strongest sense of the word.

NP: BULWORTH (Morricone)

I do love listening to Suite No. 2 from this score. Morricone mayhem.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2008
    NP : HANNIBAL - Hans Zimmer

cool
  2. NP: Baby - Secret of The Lost Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

This CD is going to test my resolve of not selling any CDs - even ones that I don't enjoy. Because this is one that I just don't enjoy. Alarm bells should have sounded when I read somewhere that synths and Legend were used in the same sentence to describe aspects of this score. But I had already been caught up in the feeding frenzy of a "new" Goldsmith release.

I only have myself to blame as I didn't listen to the clips available - but I wanted to hear this without any ideas of what to expect other than peoples' positive comments. Never again!! If there's clips then I'll listen to them.

Track 15 seems to be the only cue that is free from those annoying synth textures Goldsmith can use - and this cue certainly has the feel of a Rambo or Total Recall score (big thumbs up!).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Diên Biên Phú - Georges Delerue

Moved on to this Delerue disc with a lot more optimism!!

There is some exquisitely beautiful music contained on this CD, mostly from the "Concerto de L'Adieu" and the various fragments. Michael Davis' violin solos stand out as some of the heartbreakingly beautiful passages for strings I've heard - and remind me of what attracted my attention in the previous clip game.

I'm not so taken by the latter cues; but it nice to have some pieces that feature Delerue on piano.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Psycho - Bernard Herrmann

Changed to this score whilst commenting on having watched the movie this evening on DVD.

I'm flicking back and forth between the original soundtrack, Herrmann's 1975 re-rcording, the McNeely re-recording and the score that was recorded for the Danny Elfman/Steve Bartek version. It's amazing how varied the various versions are!

Listening to the cue "Temptation" the cue in the Elfman/Bartek version (approaching the tempo of the OST) lasts 1:49 whereas Herrmann's own version lasts 3:12. Herrmann was often modifying the tempo of his music for re-recordings - probably because the music was to perform different functions. But, after listening to the Elfman/Bartek version, Herrmann's own version is so s-l-o-w!!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I'm in a "spacey" mood, so I'm listening to Shirley Walker's "Space: Above and Beyond" theme and James Horner's End Titles cue from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Mind you, I'm listening to Prague re-recorded versions (which is usually a death sentence if they're doing re-recordings of John Williams scores), but these cues are performed rather well. The "Khan" cue doesn't have that shrill recording sound that marred the OST, a huge plus in my opinion.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

Getting the movie today, and am preparing to listen to these great cues in it for a much better listening experience! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

Getting the movie today, and am preparing to listen to these great cues in it for a much better listening experience! biggrin

You haven't seen the movie yet? You're in for a treat! wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Artemyev's score is a cut above RUBY CAIRO, that's for sure. Much as I like the theme of RUBY CAIRO, it's not an album I tend to make it all the way through. It was certainly a surprise to me to hear THE BARBER OF SIBERIA, as I know Artemyev more for his purely electronic scores for Tarkovsky films like SOLARIS and THE MIRROR. BARBER is a romantic orchestral score in the strongest sense of the word.

NP: BULWORTH (Morricone)

I do love listening to Suite No. 2 from this score. Morricone mayhem.

Indeed. Barber of Siberia has SO much going on in it, so strong themes, such a raw, powerful and complex orchestral action, so much beauty in the melody, old-school approach, nostalgic atmosphere, it's THE film score if you ask me, it has it all.