• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    I too was under the impression there was longevity in the Williams genes?

Don't know about the genes, but there's longevity in the black turtle necks.

drumroll
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2013
    His mother lived to be almost 100 years old (97, to be precise), so hopefully he inherited some of that. I don't think he will ever retire from composing music, even if the score assignments may slow down.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013
    I think, given his age, that we can already state he inherited some of that smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013
    If this discussion is going to continue can it please move to the Williams thread. I keep expecting to see something new on Star Trek!

Thanks. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    Star Trek: Into Darkness
    Music From The Motion Picture

Music by Michael Giacchino

Release Date: 05/14/13

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … ess/Detail
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013
    Is anyone else hopping over to Lucerne this weekend?

http://www.21co.ch/de/konzerte/meldunge … navanchor=

MG will be there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013
    For Anthony: JOHN WILLIAMS

For Thor: SKYFALL
  2. For everyone else: James Horner.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I wanted to get Celestine Prophecy as soon as Mikael said it sounded like....
    James Horner.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Timmer wrote
    James Horner

Tyler Bates.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

For the love of God, switch them around! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! crazy wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Happy either way.
  4. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

For the love of God, switch them around! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! crazy wink

Okay! Okay! Let me help out in the meantime. Here they are, switched:

Southall wrote
    Anthony For: JOHN WILLIAMS

Thor For: SKYFALL

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2013 edited
    Video clips from the Star Trek: Live to Projection concert can be found over at trekmovie.com. Including a brief Q&A, where Michael had this to say about the new Star Wars films:

"I will say this. One of the things that excites me most about Star Wars coming back is a chance to hear a John Williams score. He has been a great inspiration to me over the years. He has been a great teacher to me and a good friend and I would love nothing more than to hear more of his music from that universe…so if it were up to me I would say ‘John, you must do it.’"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013
    I'd like to point out - although I have absolutely no confirmation other than it being available on Amazon - that Star Trek Into Darkness will be available on vinyl.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited
    I don't understand the vinyl revival.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's not somewhere I'm going but I do understand it ( I think? ), it's big, it's beautiful, and I'm sure there's a nostalgic value in a certain age group.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Its kind of pointless since you know the masters are still digital. There's only a reasonable (non-sentimental) argument for vinyl if the source is analog from the beginning.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's not somewhere I'm going but I do understand it ( I think? ), it's big, it's beautiful, and I'm sure there's a nostalgic value in a certain age group.

Nostalgia certainly is a point here. Maybe it's a longing for the "good old times" when all seemed clear and simple as opposed to a situation of global change. In Europe it's the €-crisis, in the US the decline from super power status and the dawn of a multi polar world with a strong Asian influence.

I for myself will certainly not return to vinyl. Yet I feel that there is a connection between LP and CD. The CD is the digital equivalent of the LPs of my childhood and adolecence years. The act of putting on a CD reminds me of putting on a LP in yesteryears. As a matter of fact I like top loader CD players where you can actually see the CD turning. It reminds me of the old turntable.

I'm sure that the fact that my early music experiences go back to the age of vinyl are one reason why I reject digital downloads emotionally. For younger people for whom the internet has always been a given part of every day life it's a whole different matter.

I ever considered playcing an old record player in my flat for decorative purpose only. I don't have a singel LP there.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Giant artwork. It's that simple. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I suppose neither are a big surprise, however Michael has said he will be scoring Brad Bird's Tomorrowland and also an unannounced Pixar project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Another Bird-Giacchino co-operation is definitely something to look forward to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Nostalgia certainly is a point here. Maybe it's a longing for the "good old times" when all seemed clear and simple as opposed to a situation of global change. In Europe it's the €-crisis, in the US the decline from super power status and the dawn of a multi polar world with a strong Asian influence.

Agreed. It's the spirit of the times: in times of crisis and uncertainty, you always see a hankering back to 'old values'. It's stronger than mere nostalgia: it's a search for lost certainty. There's a generation growing up that emotionally and practically have a very unclear future ahead of them, where values, expectations and fundaments built in the second half of the twentieth century have been rendered if not moot than at least unstable.

So what do you do?
    You return to the (safe and non-threatening) concepts of your youth.
    (Not fed in the least by a slwe of retrospectives, jazz documentaries and general looking back in mainstream media: a vinyl merchant I know (who is doing excellent business with, of all people, students, who have dug out their dad's record player) said the main demand is on the "standard" jazz greats of yesteryear: Getz, Parker, Gillespie...massively in demand.

Don't really care much about those myself.
    But that's because, when *I* look back, my youth's been Dorsey, Miller and Basie.
    So yeah, I too have been affected. In a way. As *I* never actually gave up on vinyl. I have never NOT had a working and active record player. I just *like* the medium. But not even vaguely to exclusion of other formats: my iPod is my current biggest media renderer.

....I guess that was off-topic a bit. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Anthony wrote
    I suppose neither are a big surprise, however Michael has said he will be scoring Brad Bird's Tomorrowland and also an unannounced Pixar project.

And another project which he's not allowed to mention (not Pixar). Speculate away. spin
  6. Martijn wrote

Captain Future wrote

Timmer wrote

Erik Woods wrote

Vinyl Revival

Those card sleeves that you find - for example - with the Beatles and Pink Floyd remasters, that are clearly designed to evoke memories of the old vinyls, are symptomatic here, too.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. There is one unreleased Pixar film on Brad Bird's director resume: "1906"
  8. Except that this one is not Pixar. It was supposed to be his live-action debut, but it's, I guess, in development hell. The story is somehow connected to the San Francisco earthquake if memory serves me well.
  9. Well, Pixar is listed as one of the production companies (says "financial support") -- how specific was Giacchino?
  10. Specific? If you are asking whether he was supposed to score that project, yes, he was slated to do it.