• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Except that this one is not Pixar. It was supposed to be his live-action debut, but it's, I guess, in development hell. The story is somehow connected to the San Francisco earthquake if memory serves me well.

Correct.

He’ll call the shots on 1906, a movie about the massive earthquake – known as the Great Earthquake – that destroyed huge swathes of San Francisco in that titular year.

http://www.empireonline.com/News/story.asp?nid=22185
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    Well, Pixar is listed as one of the production companies (says "financial support") -- how specific was Giacchino?

It's a Pixar project - at no point did he say it was an *unannounced* Pixar project (at least not in public). He explicitly mentioned Tomorrowland as a Brad Bird project.

He is also working on something else that he's 'not allowed to talk about'.
  1. Yeah, 1906 is a wholly different project.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    :like:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013
    Michael Giacchino to Score Brad Bird’s ‘Tomorrowland

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/04/14 … orrowland/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013 edited
    So here is the Star Trek tracklist.

1. Logos/Pranking The Natives (3:01)
    2. Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps (1:43)
    3. Sub Prime Directive (2:23)
    4. London Calling (2:09)
    5. Meld-merized (2:40)
    6. The Kronos Wartet (5:25)
    7. Brigadoom (3:41)
    8. Ship To Ship (2:50)
    9. Earthbound And Down (2:37)
    10. Warp Core Values (2:56)
    11. Buying The Space Farm (3:17)
    12. The San Fran Hustle (5:00)
    13. Kirk Enterprises (3:00)
    14. Star Trek Main Theme (3:25)

44:07

Cover art & samples
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013
    Anthony wrote

Cover art & samples

:like:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    love

Bold, thematic film scoring!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Also, if you didn't see it on the front page, Michael has recorded an interview with WQXR which will be aired on Saturday along with 22 minutes of score - including a suite for the villain which is not on the OST (perhaps the same piece they performed in Lucerne).

It will be available for streaming shortly after.

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/programs/movies/2013/may/04/
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Here we go again with the multiple release, "please pirate me unless you are a rich dude who can afford to buy the same thing over and over again" nonsense. rolleyes
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Scribe wrote
    Here we go again with the multiple release, "please pirate me unless you are a rich dude who can afford to buy the same thing over and over again" nonsense. rolleyes

Did I miss something here? I'm aware of only one ST score release.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Cover art & samples

Contains the original Star Trek theme by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry

Gene Roddenberry? uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gene Roddenbery is a phoney, he had nothing to do with the theme but put lyrics to it hence the fact he always gets a credit*.

..and of course he would also have received half the royalties.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's the Wikipedia entry Steven...

Courage is probably best known for writing the theme music for Star Trek, and some other music for the series. Courage was hired by Gene Roddenberry to score the original Star Trek television show at Jerry Goldsmith's suggestion, after the latter turned the job down. Courage reportedly became alienated from Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry over the latter's claim for half of the music royalties. (Roddenberry wrote words for Courage's Star Trek theme song, not because he expected the lyrics to be sung on television, but so that by claiming credit as the song's co-writer, Roddenberry could receive half of the royalties from the song.)[2]

Ironically, after later being Goldsmith's orchestrator when Goldsmith composed the music for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Courage orchestrated Goldsmith's adaptation of Courage's own original Star Trek theme.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Scribe wrote

Did I miss something here? I'm aware of only one ST score release.

V.

There is only for now, but the last time Giacchino wrote a STAR TREK score there was a short release followed by a longer release. So here we are with an announcement of a short CD, but already hearing music not found on the album being performed elsewhere - the villain theme. The stage seems set for multiple releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Or the villain theme is an iTunes exclusive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Timmer wrote

Courage is probably best known for writing the theme music for Star Trek, and some other music for the series. Courage was hired by Gene Roddenberry to score the original Star Trek television show at Jerry Goldsmith's suggestion, after the latter turned the job down. Courage reportedly became alienated from Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry over the latter's claim for half of the music royalties. (Roddenberry wrote words for Courage's Star Trek theme song, not because he expected the lyrics to be sung on television, but so that by claiming credit as the song's co-writer, Roddenberry could receive half of the royalties from the song.)[2]

Ironically, after later being Goldsmith's orchestrator when Goldsmith composed the music for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Courage orchestrated Goldsmith's adaptation of Courage's own original Star Trek theme.

Same story, different show I guess: Battlestar Glalactica, theme by Stu Philips and Glen A. Larson

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Or the villain theme is an iTunes exclusive.

-Erik-

Well it could be. But what I do know that a completely unrelated song will be an iTunes exclusive.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Same story, different show I guess: Battlestar Glalactica, theme by Stu Philips and Glen A. Larson

Volker

Larson on "Knight Rider", too with Stu. I'm guessing that story is slightly different, wherein they collaborate, rather than Gene apparently pulling an underhanded move.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013
    Giacchino to score Matt Reeve's DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.
    http://instagram.com/p/ZTuJ9BFdmS/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Not surprising given his previous relationship with Reeves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Great news. Looks like 2014 is going to be another busy year for Michael Giacchino.
  6. Giacchino sure gets a lot of amazing gigs, doesn't he?
  7. Is a crummy prequel sequel really an amazing gig?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    Is a crummy prequel sequel really an amazing gig?

Who gives a shit about the quality of the movie? It's the canvas that counts. Ape revolutions, disease spreading all over the world, the fall of society as we know it? lick

'sides, I thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes was solid, movie-wise.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013
    It was a very solid movie. Far better than Tim Burton's reworking. I hope they keep that quality and momentum.
  9. The one thing I love about the Tim Burton one is Elfman's score, though, which is easily one of my favorites of his. It's so brutal and uncompromising and yet still so very listenable and enjoyable. No idea why but it's easily one of my favorites of his, probably his best "modern" score. Something about it appeals to the monkey in me, I guess.

Doyle's score is far more conventional but I think also very well-crafted and enjoyable. It feels a lot less constrained by the blockbuster film score tropes than Thor did, as if Doyle was starting to grow more used to them. Personally I think it's a shame he's not coming back for the sequel to either film, but you can't really complain about Giacchino. Carter Burwell, on the other hand... sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013
    Elfman's album gets on my friggin nerves but it does have it's moments and I do like the main titles a lot, if I could be arsed to edit it there's probably a 15-20 minute score that I enjoy.

As for Giacchino I really like him but I want to like him more and it's just not happening, I always find great moments in his scores but there's still nothing defining, I've not heard a single score by him that I think is brilliant all the way through, not one.
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Is a crummy prequel sequel really an amazing gig?

Who gives a shit about the quality of the movie? It's the canvas that counts. Ape revolutions, disease spreading all over the world, the fall of society as we know it? lick

'sides, I thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes was solid, movie-wise.

Well, he had this time traveling film with dinosaurs at one time, but from what I've read, not very many score fans enjoyed "The Land of the Lost" score, so he's had a big canvas before. But I'll give it a chance -- considering his love of scores, maybe he'll try to do something experiemental or different, like other POTA [films] composers before him, with the exception of Doyle and Elfman.

I think it's a telling sign of Hollywood films when I ca accurately describe a film as a "prequel sequel".