• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    As one of my friends said on Facebook, it's a pity they don't do this for Star Trek: TMP.

WORD!

But the problem is the film is shit. I think it would be better to play key parts of the score to muted scenes. I've always thought film music concerts should have some kind of visual element.

I think that definitely puts more bums-on-seats, personally I couldn't give a fig for visuals, I'll soak up the music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't really know that I can see the point of playing the whole film with a live orchestra accompaniment, but whatever floats your boat. If I went to one then it would be for the music not the film, so ST:TMP would be absolutely fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but personally I think having a visual aid for a live FILM music concert would only serve to improve the experience. The focus would still very much be on the music, there would be no sound effects or dialogue were it up to me, but it would add an element which I think is missing from many film music concerts; context. Seeing the music in action and being 'forced' to notice how well it works would give people even more appreciation of film music as an art form.

That's why concerts with someone presenting the show in between performances always seem better, because they give the audience some kind of context or interesting story about the next piece they will play. Games concerts tend to get the right idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I don't really know that I can see the point of playing the whole film with a live orchestra accompaniment, but whatever floats your boat.

A live score to a film? I think it's a great idea!
  1. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    As one of my friends said on Facebook, it's a pity they don't do this for Star Trek: TMP.

WORD!

But the problem is the film is shit.

No, it isn't. Oh, what's the use ... drink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    I don't really know that I can see the point of playing the whole film with a live orchestra accompaniment, but whatever floats your boat.

I saw this kind of event two times - once it was Return of the King live to picture and the other thing was, which was a disaster, playing the first Pirates of the Caribbean film live to picture.

This year in Krakow they are supposed to do the same thing with the first Matrix movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

If it were Lawrence of Arabia or something (or ST:TMP) I could see some value. But the Abrams Star Trek!? Surely the film needs to be some sort of audiovisual spectacular for this to work.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I saw this kind of event two times - once it was Return of the King live to picture and the other thing was, which was a disaster, playing the first Pirates of the Caribbean film live to picture.

This year in Krakow they are supposed to do the same thing with the first Matrix movie.

The Matrix is a good one to see live. They did it at the Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago and it was about as good as LOTR.
  3. Was Davis himself conducting?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No, it was Ludwig Wicki.
  4. In Krakow Davis will conduct personally.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Lucky you.

Meanwhile, Star Trek tickets are now on sale!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Yeah, and they are almost sold out? That's even faster than the Elfman concert, I would say...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Anthony wrote
    No, it was Ludwig Wicki.

Frank Strobel conducted The Matrix at the RAH.

Trek on the other hand will be conducted by Ludwig Wicki, complete with the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra and Chorus on a rare London excursion.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013
    Oh, it wasn't? I forget.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2013
    This spring, we were able to attend a scoring session for Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino's music for Star Trek Into Darkness. The latest score in the prolific collaboration between Giacchino and filmmaker J.J. Abrams featured a 104-piece orchestra and 41-person choir. The film has grossed over $330 million worldwide since its release on May 16, 2013, and we're thrilled to bring our readers photos from the scoring session!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013
    Jim Ware wrote
    Anthony wrote
    No, it was Ludwig Wicki.

Frank Strobel conducted The Matrix at the RAH.

Trek on the other hand will be conducted by Ludwig Wicki, complete with the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra and Chorus on a rare London excursion.

Speaking of Ludwig Wicki, apparently he's conducting the score for Jupiter Ascending. Michael Giacchino just tweeted this picture: http://instagram.com/p/aYEnpMFdkX/
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2013
    Perhaps even greater news, Joel Iwataki is back! YES!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not according to Michael he's not.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Southall wrote
    Dan Wallin's retired I believe.

Great news!

Erik Woods wrote

Bugger. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I suspect that will be news to Dan Wallin!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    I have tickets to see Star Trek with a friend smile This will be my second orchestral concert ever! To one of my favourite soundtracks. Yay biggrin
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    Who you going with? Is he handsome? I don't like him. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Why was it a disaster? The only way i think visual aid would ruin a film is if the orchestra is amateur slant
    Regarding POFTC, Zimmer does use a lot of 'artificial sounds' so maybe the problem was that they weren't also incorporated?
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
  6. The complete score just doesn't hold up well for a live performance. And yes, there were synthesizers with the orchestra.

Bear in mind also the fact, that Pirates of the Caribbean was chosen... right after being done with playing the Lord of the Rings trilogy live to film, so you can imagine, it was a bit of an anti-climax.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013
    I've seen The Matrix and all 3 LOTR scores performed live to picture - Return Of The King twice, and all of them were fantastic.

On another note, the night after Star Trek Live is now Star Trek Into Darkness Live!

Two Giacchino concerts in two days! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness Live in Concert at Royal Albert Hall London:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/07/08 … announced/
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013
    New trailer from an untitled Bad Robot production:
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/08/jj-abrams-bad-robot-production-releases-cryptic-ne.html

Sounds like new Giacchino music used in the trailer...
  7. Hi all,

Craig Lysy I met up with Michael Giacchino at the Eastwood Scoring Stage on the Warner Brothers Lot in Burbank today, and presented him with his 2012 IFMCA Award for Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror for John Carter.

Michael was as cool and laid-back as he always is, very approachable and easy to chat with. We hung around for about 20 minutes or so on the scoring stage, where he was mixing his score for the upcoming Pixar animated short 'Toy Story of Terror', which will air in the United States on ABC at Halloween.

We also gave him his certificates for his TWELVE prior IFMCA wins, going all the way back to The Incredibles in 2004! We had never managed to get together to give him his awards before, so it was nice to be able to finally get him all caught up!

Here's the article on the IFMCA site:
    http://filmmusiccritics.org/2013/08/mic … hn-carter/

Jon