• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. justin boggan wrote
    Well, he had this time traveling film with dinosaurs at one time, but from what I've read, not very many score fans enjoyed "The Land of the Lost" score, so he's had a big canvas before. But I'll give it a chance -- considering his love of scores, maybe he'll try to do something experiemental or different, like other POTA [films] composers before him, with the exception of Doyle and Elfman.

Considering Land of the Lost was mostly a goofy silly comedy movie, that's hardly the same thing. But just last year he was given a movie about a dude who goes to Mars and becomes a superhero and fights all these crazy Mars battles and shit, and he pretty much ballparked it, so whether he goes the experimental route or not (methinks not), I have no doubt it'll be a good score.

I think it's a telling sign of Hollywood films when I ca accurately describe a film as a "prequel sequel".

Well, what do you call Attack of the Clones? Hardly the first time this has happened...
  2. I didn't give a time period! ;-)

Plus, that doesn't count, 'cause as any Star Wars fan knows, the original films had numbers indicating there could eventually be films to fill the numbers before them; we knew there would could possibly be three more later. Is it a prequel if you are doing, say, #3 is a film series, when the original film series started at #6 -- you knew 1 to 5 might come one day?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013 edited
    The original title crawl for Star Wars did not contain the words Episode IV A New Hope. Every Star Wars fan knows that.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013
    My review of John Carter for anyone interested : http://demetrischristodoulides.com/2013 … rter-2012/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    As for Giacchino I really like him but I want to like him more and it's just not happening, I always find great moments in his scores but there's still nothing defining, I've not heard a single score by him that I think is brilliant all the way through, not one.

Very good summary, Tim. and I mostly agree, were it not for his exceptional The Incredibles, which, for all the over-the-top pastiche that it may be at times, I do think is brilliant all the way through!
    (Oh, and Ratatouille ain't half bad either!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    As for Giacchino I really like him but I want to like him more and it's just not happening, I always find great moments in his scores but there's still nothing defining, I've not heard a single score by him that I think is brilliant all the way through, not one.

Very good summary, Tim. and I mostly agree, were it not for his exceptional The Incredibles, which, for all the over-the-top pastiche that it may be at times, I do think is brilliant all the way through!
    (Oh, and Ratatouille ain't half bad either!)

Perhaps unfairly, I purposely didn't include The Incredibles ( I agree with you, great album beginning to end ) because it's pastiche/homage. I don't mind taking that back and including The Incredibles as great album from beginning to end. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Perhaps unfairly, I purposely didn't include The Incredibles

I suspected you might have had. wink
    The greatest "Non-Barry Barry score"!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Not even his spectacular video game scores? Medal of Honor, Underground, Frontline, Secret Weapons Over Normandy? Come on!!!

Even though he has written some excellent film scores (Ratatouille, John Carter, Semper Fi) I still think his best work has been done in the video game world.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Lost is brilliant all the way through. All 10 CDs of it.

IMO, of course.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not even his spectacular video game scores? Medal of Honor, Underground, Frontline, Secret Weapons Over Normandy? Come on!!!

Even though he has written some excellent film scores (Ratatouille, John Carter, Semper Fi) I still think his best work has been done in the video game world.

-Erik-

I'd agree that his best stuff has been for game scores.

The best thing I can say about Giacchino is that he is at least one of a rapidly diminishing handful of currently working film composers where I still have an interest in hearing anything new.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I'd agree that his best stuff has been for game scores.

The best thing I can say about Giacchino is that he is at least one of a rapidly diminishing handful of currently working film composers where I still have an interest in hearing anything new.

That's funny because to me, he's NOT one of a rapidly increasing number of currently working film composers where I have an interest in hearing something new. The exact opposite, in other words.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Timmer wrote

I hope I never sound this jaded. There are still so many composers where I feel excited about the vast majority of their new scores...Giacchino, Powell, Elfman, Horner, Williams, Doyle, JNH, Shore (especially these days!), Thomas Bergersen, Beltrami (depending on the movie as I'm not often into horror scores, but usually, yes), Young, McCreary...even someone like Alexandre Desplat where I tend to react lukewarmly on an emotional level to a lot of his music, I always find something interesting and worthwhile in his music. And then there's guys like Arnau Bataller, Panu Aaltio, Benjamin Wallfisch, Roque Banos, Oscar Araujo, Fernando Velazquez, Naoki Sato, Joe Hisaishi, Murray Gold, Andrew Lockington, Abel Korzeniowski who are constantly putting out good work in less obvious places. Hell, even the RC guys who I know are talented like Henry Jackman, Steve Jablonsky, Atli Orvarsson...Hans Zimmer...I still anticipate their new scores out of hope that they'll expand on the excellent material they've shown in the past. In fact, I'd be harder-pressed listing the composers who I don't have any interest in anymore.

Maybe I'm still too young and impressionable, but I'm always so puzzled when I hear people say that there aren't enough good composers actively writing. Seems to me like I can't keep up half of the time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Maybe I'm still too young and impressionable, but I'm always so puzzled when I hear people say that there aren't enough good composers actively writing. Seems to me like I can't keep up half of the time!

There are not enough of the truly great composers getting the high profiled gigs. I'm still flabbergasted that guys like Broughton, Eidelman, Holdridge, and McNeely, just to name a few, can't get the big blockbusters anymore.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Agreed. And there are so many good ones coming into the game all the time.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    There are not enough of the truly great composers getting the high profiled gigs. I'm still flabbergasted that guys like Broughton, Eidelman, Holdridge, and McNeely, just to name a few, can't get the big blockbusters anymore.

There's truth to that as well, of course. And Goldenthal and Davis. But I get the impression that there's more talent available than there are films for them to work on. Not that I'm saying every composer who lands a big blockbuster deserves it, necessarily...far from it...but a lack of interesting composers, there most certainly is not. You yourself are often the one who points out that the Tinkerbell movies allow Joel McNeely to spread his wings far more than he might on more typical Hollywood fare...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm super happy that McNeely is still working and producing such fantastic music but there are only a handful of people that have heard the Tinker Bell scores and no amount of praise from us is going to land McNeely that next big gig that he deserves.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I don't think Tim's point was that there were too few good composers, but too few (new) good scores coming out.

We all know that the limitations and time constraints put to composers these days as a general trend (with exceptions of course) tends to be maniacally strict, and that current musical tendencies for at least big Hollywood films tend to be athematic underscore (whether that be ambient drone or electric guitars is of no matter). That in turn is reflected by score CDs eschewing so-called 'concert versions' or 'suites' in favour of one-to-one tracks.
    That, for a big part of the soundtrack fan community (including myself) is a turn-off.

Add that to the fact that -it cannot be helped- age does indeed affect one's capacity to be surprised by a composer using the same musical device several times, and you get a certain hesitation to 'buy unheard', so to speak.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I don't think Tim's point was that there were too few good composers, but too few (new) good scores coming out.

We all know that the limitations and time constraints put to composers these days as a general trend (with exceptions of course) tends to be maniacally strict, and that current musical tendencies for at least big Hollywood films tend to be athematic underscore (whether that be ambient drone or electric guitars is of no matter). That in turn is reflected by score CDs eschewing so-called 'concert versions' or 'suites' in favour of one-to-one tracks.
    That, for a big part of the soundtrack fan community (including myself) is a turn-off.

Add that to the fact that -it cannot be helped- age does indeed affect one's capacity to be surprised by a composer using the same musical device several times, and you get a certain hesitation to 'buy unheard', so to speak.

I couldn't have said it better myself ( really I couldn't wink beer )

Edmund,

Let's take one composer as an example, JAMES HORNER, I choose James Horner because I remember when he was a brand spanking new name, a composer I'd never heard of, he first came to my attention with Battle Beyond The Stars and that perked my ears a bit but it wasn't until STAR TREK II and BRAINSTORM where I suddenly went OMFG!!!! This man IS the second coming. Cut to 30 years later and it's a little hard for me to get excited by a new Horner score after experiencing his bag of tricks for so long so I'm a lot, a lot more picky about what I'll buy of his and every now and again he'll do something samey but nevertheless enjoyable like The Amazing Spiderman, so yes, I am a bit jaded I suppose, having said that I do hear a handful of great scores each year ( IMO of course ) and every now and again it'll come left of field for me from the likes of Hans Zimmer, a composer I have never been a fan of.

Horner did a score called Jaded...or was it Jade? wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    Edmund,

Let's take one composer as an example, JAMES HORNER, I choose James Horner because I remember when he was a brand spanking new name, a composer I'd never heard of, he first came to my attention with Battle Beyond The Stars and that perked my ears a bit but it wasn't until STAR TREK II and BRAINSTORM where I suddenly went OMFG!!!! This man IS the second coming. Cut to 30 years later and it's a little hard for me to get excited by a new Horner score after experiencing his bag of tricks for so long so I'm a lot, a lot more picky about what I'll buy of his and every now and again he'll do something samey but nevertheless enjoyable like The Amazing Spiderman, so yes, I am a bit jaded I suppose, having said that I do hear a handful of great scores each year ( IMO of course ) and every now and again it'll come left of field for me from the likes of Hans Zimmer, a composer I have never been a fan of.

See, that's the thing. I wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's eye when Battle Beyond the Stars came out, so I can't possibly relate to that. I can listen to a score like For Greater Glory and even though I know it's largely cobbled together from bits and pieces of older Horner scores, I still love listening to it! I guess what I'm saying is that I hope when I've been a film score fan for 30+ years that I still feel as excited and curious about it then as I do now. Right now I'm in a place where I just want to listen to everything, good or bad, just because I love the genre as a whole so much and I want to familiarize myself with every nook and cranny of it. In 30 years I'll probably spend all my time being nostalgic for the days when Remote Control ruled the film music roost...dizzy

Timmer wrote
    Horner did a score called Jaded...or was it Jade? wink

Here, I got your coat for you. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shame >>>>>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2013
    The Music of Star Trek Into Darkness

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/ … o-darkness
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Demetris wrote
    The Music of Star Trek Into Darkness

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/ … o-darkness

Nice one. Thank you for sharing!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. My review of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/05/20/star- … giacchino/

Warning: there are plot spoilers in the review smile

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    A few people have commented on how disappointed they are that there hasn't been more discussion about Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness - for their benefit, here's my review:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3606
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    Damn you. I agree with every word you said. How boring.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    Star Trek Live will be coming to London next year!

http://life.royalalberthall.com/2013/05 … n-concert/

Cannot wait!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    As one of my friends said on Facebook, it's a pity they don't do this for Star Trek: TMP.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    As one of my friends said on Facebook, it's a pity they don't do this for Star Trek: TMP.

WORD!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

WORD!

But the problem is the film is shit. I think it would be better to play key parts of the score to muted scenes. I've always thought film music concerts should have some kind of visual element.