• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    Well maybe dangerous is far-fetched, but as you've seen too (and which i mentioned as well) it mostly works in stuff that wasn't physical in the first place (i.e. games) or material that's usually shot in high frame rates, such as documentaries which gives them that "real" non-cinematic visual feeling we are all familiar with. Cinema is still 35mm film, 24p which has nothing to do with such techniques, aesthetically.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Which is precisely why I turn it off for everything other than games and animated films. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited
    I can see why it's a great usage for games, esp. where frame rates drop down dangerously and creating that optical lagging feeling, but why leave it on for animated features? It's like if the director wanted you to watch more than 50-100 frames per second, he'd obviously do it himself in the first place wink Do you also listen to all your stereo sources (mp3s, cds) on matrix surround all the time too?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Can you elaborate on "Scientifically risky"?

The profs wear unstable high heel shoes?

If only, if only.

....I've gone blind!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I can see why it's a great usage for games, esp. where frame rates drop down dangerously and creating that optical lagging feeling, but why leave it on for animated features?

Because it looks good. (Which is of course subjective, but *I* think it looks good and that's all that matters.)

It's like if the director wanted you to watch more than 50-100 frames per second, he'd obviously do it himself in the first place wink

Who cares what the director wants. If I like it and I think it improves the film, why wouldn't I have it turned on!? confused dizzy

Do you also listen to all your stereo sources (mp3s, cds) on matrix surround all the time too?

Sound is different to images: turning on motion flow actually makes a noticeable difference (and, in certain circumstances, improvements). Although increasing the bit rate of compressed audio is technically the same in certain respects to motion flow, in reality the difference would not be noticeable, so the comparison is a bit moot.

So there. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Who cares what the director wants. If I like it and I think it improves the film, why wouldn't I have it turned on!? confused dizzy

Tonight on Clamp Cable Network: Casablanca! But now in colour and with a happy ending.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Tonight on Clamp Cable Network: Casablanca! But now in colour and with a happy ending.

Okay, poor choice of words on my part. Yes I care what the director wants, but Demetris' point is not the same as yours. Putting on motion flow is not so much a directorial decision, it's simply a way to improve the film. In THAT sense I wouldn't care what the director wants (though I'm sure Pete Docter wouldn't exactly mind). Just like buying a big expensive TV with amazing clarity and vivid colours improves the way you watch movies. It's not the same as being able to control whether Casablanca is in colour with a happy ending. It just isn't.

Though if I preferred Casablanca in colour with a happy ending, who's to say I shouldn't watch it like that? (I've never seen it by the way.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    It just isn't.

Of course it isn't. But I do so enjoy a bit of baiting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Though if I preferred Casablanca in colour with a happy ending, who's to say I shouldn't watch it like that? (I've never seen it by the way.)

Different discussion: is art a personal choice?
    Can we paint a moustache on a poster of the Mona Lisa and call it art?
    Are we all part of the mash generation, where an artist's unique vision is relegated to being a canvas to create our own preferences?

It's a good discussion, but -as you rightly say- a different one.
    Oh, and if you'd prefer Casablanca in colour and with a happy end I would happily lead the campaign to have the UK annexed as a US province and towed away to somewhere under Newfoundland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    It just isn't.

Oh I know. But if I don't explain otherwise, Demetris will assume his point is a good one - and I don't want that to happen! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Oh, and if you'd prefer Casablanca in colour and with a happy end I would happily lead the campaign to have the UK annexed as a US province and towed away to somewhere under Newfoundland.

I have a similar reaction when people profess to liking the 20th anniversary editions of the original Star Wars trilogy over the original versions.

Some opinions are just wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I have a similar reaction when people profess to liking the 20th anniversary editions of the original Star Wars trilogy over the original versions.

There are some good things about them, some bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Now that doesn't sound bad at all. Actually, it sounds wonderful. Where do I sign up to the campaign?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Try Vichy France.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

There are some good things about them, some bad.

The good things are the improved sound and audio, but the extra scenes and the CGI additions -especially the CGI additions- is like drawing a moustache over the Mona Lisa (to use Martijn's example). Lucas shat all over those films with the CGI... and then persisted in shitting over it by changing the original Anakin with the new Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi.

I'd like the original theatrical films on Blu-Ray with the new improved audio and visuals. (Though I don't see why they'd settle for anything less.)
  1. Timmer wrote
    Come again? dizzy

I think he basically said what Steven said. It's great for games. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So...Michael Giacchino writes good music, eh..?

Shall we start another topic if we're to continue this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Michael... Giacchino?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    It just isn't.

Oh I know. But if I don't explain otherwise, Demetris will assume his point is a good one - and I don't want that to happen! biggrin

Screw you then wink You seem unable to admit you're wrong, ever wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Sound is different to images: turning on motion flow actually makes a noticeable difference (and, in certain circumstances, improvements). Although increasing the bit rate of compressed audio is technically the same in certain respects to motion flow, in reality the difference would not be noticeable, so the comparison is a bit moot.

So there. tongue

It's not what i asked. I talked about matrix techniques that artificially turn 2 channel stereo into 5.1, real time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Another award for Michael Giacchino. He just won the BAFTA for "Up"! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I talked about matrix techniques that artificially turn 2 channel stereo into 5.1, real time.

uhm
    I guess that's what you get for choosing the wrong pill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I talked about matrix techniques that artificially turn 2 channel stereo into 5.1, real time.

uhm
    I guess that's what you get for choosing the wrong pill.

biggrin

I am just teasing Steven btw, he's like me, he bites easily. I don't have any real urge for this discussion and i've got to study for the exams anyway smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    It just isn't.

Screw you then wink You seem unable to admit you're wrong, ever wink

If you can convince me that I shouldn't use motion flow with games or animated films, then I'll happily admit I'm wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am just teasing Steven btw, he's like me, he bites easily.

What exactly am I biting...? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't say you shouldn't use it. It's a matter of aesthetic choice. The same can be said about those who listen 2channel music through their dvd home theaters on real time surround matrix. There's nothing more to discuss here i think.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … no/#Item_3

Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am just teasing Steven btw, he's like me, he bites easily.

What exactly am I biting...? confused

The baits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm just surprised you think I'm unable to admit when I'm wrong.

Christodoulides wrote

It's not what i asked. I talked about matrix techniques that artificially turn 2 channel stereo into 5.1, real time.

You're right. I was wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited
    shocked

Medal of Honor reboot. Pay attention to the ringtone at 0:41 biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010
    So will that be scored by Giacchino?