• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited
    I definitely agree that Season 5 is rather disappointing, I just want a CD for completeness and consistency's sake smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited
    I will welcome one of any length assuming it contains all the worthwhile cues from the season opposed to a bunch of stuff we already have. Infact, just give me a CD loaded with Jacob's theme and I'll be happy. The best darn thing to come from the season and probably my #2 theme after the Oceanic Six one. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    I was going to ask you what Jacob's Theme was, since I don't remember it, but then I remembered The Four Trombones and listened to it. That does definitely need to be on the CD!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    The finale had good music. There were also themes that haven't been released in the past that could be included on the release.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Indeed, there's a huge love theme for Sayid and Shannon that's only used in Abandoned.
  1. Thor wrote
    Giacchino, Giacchino, Giacchino. Giacchino Giacchino Giacchino Giacchino.

Giacchino Giacchino ?

Giacchino!

Maybe if we say his name often enough he'll appear on the forum?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Michael will be on BBC Breakfast in about twenty minutes time (8:50 GMT).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm (if streaming works in your area!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Anthony wrote
    Michael will be on BBC Breakfast in about twenty minutes time (8:50 GMT).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm (if streaming works in your area!)

Quickly taped it from TV - thanks for the heads-up! Nice little interview.
    I think Michael may have seen too much Lost though: "Whatever happens, happens." biggrin

(Oh, and what's with all the youtube-quality fragments on the news the last couple of years!)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You just said everything I was about to say.

I even said "ha, Lost" when he came out with that. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    Well the BBC have kindly edited it out of the broadcast, but Michael has won the bafta for Up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    Typical rolleyes

Well done MG though beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I watched Up tonight as it happens.* Definitely a worthy score for awards, I'm pleased Giacchino is getting the recognition he deserves.

*For a student house, we don't have a bad set up: PS3, 42" HDTV with Motion Flow, a proper 5.1 surround sound system through an optical connection and blue LED lights to put the lounge into cinema mode. We had Up in 1080p with motion flow on and it looked AWESOME. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Spoilt or what!? shocked slant

it's alright Steven, I'm just envious. shame wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    *For a student house, we don't have a bad set up: PS3, 42" HDTV with Motion Flow, a proper 5.1 surround sound system through an optical connection and blue LED lights to put the lounge into cinema mode. We had Up in 1080p with motion flow on and it looked AWESOME. biggrin

Motion Flow? Doesn't that make a film look like video? I've seen Motion Flow demos and, IMHO, it looks like crap when watch movies. Motion Flow might look great for live events but if I'm watching a movie I don't want the added frames to smooth things out.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Motion Flow? Doesn't that make a film look like video? I've seen Motion Flow demos and, IMHO, it looks like crap when watch movies. Motion Flow might look great for live events but if I'm watching a movie I don't want the added frames to smooth thinks out.

-Erik-

It's an interesting effect. I tried watching Fellowship of the Ring using Cyberlink PowerDVD's equivalent, and it really does make it look like a live video. I don't like it, it ruins the cinematic feel, but it's rather amusing at the same time. It's like you're watching a documentary about Middle-Earth or something. It makes me wonder how easy it is to condition the brain using subconscious cues and how many other subtleties there are in modern culture that most of us are completely unaware of. It's seriously rather weird how a simple thing like the addition of frames completely changes the feel of a motion picture!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I watched Up tonight as it happens.* Definitely a worthy score for awards, I'm pleased Giacchino is getting the recognition he deserves.

Yeah, that's pretty lousy. How can you stand watching movies on that crap system? rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Motion Flow? Doesn't that make a film look like video? I've seen Motion Flow demos and, IMHO, it looks like crap when watch movies. Motion Flow might look great for live events but if I'm watching a movie I don't want the added frames to smooth things out.

-Erik-

What does it do exactly? Add or subtract frames?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I agree. For live action movies, we turn it off. But for animated movies, it's excellent! Having it turned on with live action films makes it look like the whole thing was filmed on a digital camera, and it looks very odd. But it works well with games and CGI movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    What does it do exactly? Add or subtract frames?

Subtract? No. That wouldn't be very flowy! It adds extra frames between existing frames. As I said above, it's only good with animated movies of games.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, that's certainly a very interesting thing to observe but also a risky one. Adding extra data in an already digitized signal through the standard techniques (zero interpolation, averaging, linear interpolation, etc) can be very complex and dangerous at places. And which part of hardware does this work? Is it on the tv? In the blu-ray / dvd player?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dangerous? confused

It's on the TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scientifically risky. Not commercially obviously.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven's not about to join the ranks of the atomically sub divided is he? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Can you elaborate on "Scientifically risky"?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

The profs wear unstable high heel shoes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Creating extra frames (in video) or creating more data in digitized audio data, equals extra bits. The analogue (physical) version of the audio-visual phenomenon is captured / recorded and then originally digitalized once, through Fourier spectral analysis and quantization and that's it, it's turned into a series of zeros and ones for further editing, transmitting and storage.

Now, with this technique, you're taking the digitized representation of the physical (analogue) event and adding extra zeros and ones which are artificial. Whilst the original 0-1 (bits) were extracted from the fourier spectral analysis and quantization of the real physical event itself, now instead of that, the extra data has to be artificially manufactured and injected in-between the already existent series of 0-1. Now there's complex algorithms and procedures such as zero interpolation, linear interpolation, averaging, etc, which calculate and decide whether to place new samples as 0 or a 1 and when to place it. That's not natural. It can have a great effect in games and stuff which isn't a documentation of a physical phenomenon (like a movie: sound and light) in the first place and it's basically artificial and computer-built, but i guess it's obvious in which applications it can be problematic. Especially if the hardware / algorithm that's performing it isn't good enough, i.e. expensive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Come again? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Blame Steven wink Practically, a wild parallelism to understand the philosophy is to extend it to that of taking a 192kbps mp3 and converting it into a 320kbps (without resorting to the original uncompressed wav of course, you only have the 192kbps mp3 in your hands). The result will be the same (at best, if you have an expensive software with a good algorithm for mp3 conversion) or even worse than the 192kbps one. 'Cause the extra digital data that has to be created (the zeros and ones) in order to fill the gap, will be artificially created through algorithms that calculate where to place those extra bits, i.e in non physical ways which can result to quantization noise (usually a high-pitched soft sound, high frequencies' added distortion, etc).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    D's just using a lot of jargon to explain something quite simple. It's kind of obvious really: it has to create its own image using the images it receives. It places its own images in between the images coming from the external source, thus increasing the frame rate as well as creating a smoother motion (e.g. if a ball moves from left to right, it places an extra "false" frame in between the left and right balls creating a smoother motion). The software is on the TV and uses the external data being sent to it from which ever source the visual data is being sent from. That's about as obvious as saying the sky is blue (or grey where I am).

Sometimes it works very well, sometimes it doesn't. But it works VERY well with games and animated films. But this technology is in its infancy in the commercial world and I'm sure more sophisticated versions will be released. But I still don't see how it's dangerous? (Poor choice of words perhaps?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

The profs wear unstable high heel shoes?

If only, if only.