• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    I'm ashamed. 24 is awful now yet I still watch the damn thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No! You should DEFEND your show! knight
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I'm ashamed. 24 is awful now yet I still watch the damn thing.

Traitor! angry crazy

Fringe is set in the present by the way. Or should I say presents?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lol, I found this photo and had to swipe it for the website.

I remember at Ubeda Michael kept taking random photos - even when he was on stage doing is Q&A he'd take pics of the audience. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    I remember that. I wonder if he kept any of those pictures. We might be in one of those!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010 edited
    I wonder if the supposed video he took for J.J. Abrams ever saw the light of day. tongue

Regardless, it was pretty cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Haha, good point.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    This was posted on FSM.

Try getting past the second sentence without either

1. Laughing
    2. Having a fit of rage
    3. Closing the browser
    4. All three

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ … red-series
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    This was posted on FSM.

Try getting past the second sentence without either

1. Laughing
    2. Having a fit of rage
    3. Closing the browser
    4. All three

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ … red-series

Although Michael Giacchino's score can be touching at times, the show doesn't even have a proper theme tune.

The most absurd thing I´ve read lately. TOP EPIC FAIL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Although it's true (in the sense it was meant).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Not if it is preceded by Lost isn't a particularly musical television programme, and followed by In fact, the nearest thing is probably Charlie Pace's fictional hit You All Everybody . This guy shows he has no idea what he is talking about
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I don't even think there's a failblog post for that.

Oh wait, yes there is. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Those are odd statements indeed but it doesn't have a theme tune in the sense that most people would use the phrase.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I know what the guy's saying about a theme tune a.k.a. theme song, but it's still idiotic to disregard Michael's music as "sometimes touching".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I imagine there is only a small band of people who would really like any of the score apart from the "touching" bits (and I'm in that band). Some of it's on the challenging side for tv music.
  1. Anthony, perception and intention are such different things. Despite the accessibly simple arpeggiated main theme Desplat wrote for NEW MOON (about the only Desplat piece a lot of people round here liked), you still had a bunch of reviewers -- including some that know quite a thing or two about film music -- remarking that the series still didn't revolve around an interesting musical idea. And that theme was a lot clearer, forgive me for saying than LOST's theme (as it were).

I remember spending an interesting half hour with a relatively (self-)important film critic who had to gradually retract, when faced with evidence, his belief that UNITED 93 was an example of a film which benefited enormously from not having music. Tee hee.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Remember all the controversy about Danny Elfman's Spiderman not having a main theme!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Remember all the controversy about Danny Elfman's Spiderman not having a main theme!?

Must have been started by the same guy who wrote this article.
  2. Southall wrote

What was so strange about that was that that particular fiasco was started by SCORE FANS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I imagine there is only a small band of people who would really like any of the score apart from the "touching" bits (and I'm in that band). Some of it's on the challenging side for tv music.

Regardless, the comments on that article are idiotic. I guess this particular writer requires John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John to sing the story before considering it to have any musical qualities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why we're even bothering. Michael and Southall, you're giving him too much credit. Your points have much meaning in them of course, but they're based on intellectual and perhaps philosophical and / or academic discussions that could go on forever, about the objectivities or subjectivities of musical traits as people have labeled them through the centuries, how ‘real’ they are in actuality, how we use them today in contrast to the past etc etc etc. Which is ALL valid indeed, as different people realize, apprehend, listen to, understand, feel, perform, analyze and live through the same music in very different ways. It's all true and a huge topic of discussion, as for instance, when you wrote about what different people consider as a musical "theme" or "proper" and "inproper" usage of that for a movie / series / character etc (i.e. all usages of programme music).

But this is not the case with him here; he's just a friggin idiot.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I just noticed the logo of Anthony's site... it's great shocked

Are you a designer or something? Everything on your site has a cool design.

... and what happened with your Powell site? tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Why we're even bothering. Michael and Southall, you're giving him too much credit.

As always, I like to assume that the audience is smart, not idiots. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

But the thing is - he isn't an idiot. He's a journalist with a major national newspaper (and not one of our more rubbish ones). He just thinks the same way most people think. "Did they notice the music?" - no, in most cases they didn't.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote
    I just noticed the logo of Anthony's site... it's great shocked

Are you a designer or something? Everything on your site has a cool design.

Thanks!

I'm not a designer, I'm just anal. Considering my job in life is a stock controller for CCTV equipment, I have to be creative somewhere else!

franz_conrad wrote
    Anthony, perception and intention are such different things.

This guy intends to write a decent article but I'm perceiving him as a douche.

Miya wrote

I took it hunting in the woods and shot it by "accident". Honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But the thing is - he isn't an idiot. He's a journalist with a major national newspaper (and not one of our more rubbish ones). He just thinks the same way most people think. "Did they notice the music?" - no, in most cases they didn't.

If only everyone who wrote for national newspapers was clever or in this case, musically educated.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Those are odd statements indeed but it doesn't have a theme tune in the sense that most people would use the phrase.

Ok, I´ll give him that (being generous), the show does not have a proper theme tune. But the rest of the statements have no sense. A journalist, specially if he/she writes about films / tv MUST be at least a little educated on all tecnical / artistic aspects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote

I took it hunting in the woods and shot it by "accident". Honest.

cry
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You can give him all the credit in the world, but the statement "Lost isn't a particularly musical television programme" is a tad rash. Even if he means it in the sense that there's a lack of songs for a general audience to relate to, or perhaps a lack of a big memorable theme tune in the opening credits, it's still a statement that needs qualifying. I'm not the biggest fan of Lost's music like others are on this board, but even I'm slightly bemused by that remark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm still not convinced that if you asked Lost's 10 million weekly viewers what they thought of the music, that many of them would even have noticed there's any music in it. I think it's the best-scored weekly tv show around at the moment, but if you asked people what their favourite tv theme is, I think they'd be more likely to choose the song from Cheers or the theme from Mission: Impossible than "Kate and Sawyer's regret theme" or whatever. That's what the article meant, I'm sure.