• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Interviews from last months VIEW festival.

http://www.colonnesonore.net/cmslab/ind … zione=view

This guy likes his zoom button.

Indeed. I was almost getting seasick at one point there.

It's also interesting to note that Giacchino, like Horner, is very Hollywood-oriented - i.e. the assumption that everything should be storytelling, that music is storytelling etc. This is of course a very limiting view on film (music)'s potential, but not so surprising, given where he makes his living.

And of course, it's interesting to see him suscribe to the C&C ideology, which is unusual for composers. I'm guessing it has to do with himself being a "majority"-type film music fan who came to the interest through films, first and foremost.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I enjoyed his comment about how albums that are out of chronological order make him mad. cheesy wink

But I agree, for the exact same reasons - it doesn't tell the story. Granted, if it's arranged differently but properly it can tell a different story altogether which is interesting too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    I enjoyed his comment about how albums that are out of chronological order make him mad. cheesy wink

Indeed. That struck me too, as that's a very unusual attitude from a composer. I guess it's because he was a film score fan himself, who came to the interest through films. Like the majority of film score fans.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    It's a very odd thing for a composer to say. I know that most of the fans just want musical souvenirs of the films, but one would think that the composers would want to present on the album something that makes the most musical sense.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    It's a very odd thing for a composer to say. I know that most of the fans just want musical souvenirs of the films, but one would think that the composers would want to present on the album something that makes the most musical sense.

Which is what Williams subscribed to with albums like Jaws, The Fury, E.T, etc.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

And Giacchino gives totally valid reasons as to why he would rather have an album presentation in chronological order... which also makes sense musically... and I agree with him.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The question in everyone's mind is if Thor agrees with him.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I thought it was appropriate that Thor was the first person to reply but not actually mention it. cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It always depends on the score. If it is a score that is attempting to kind of replicate the narrative (which in fairness is what a lot of Hollywood scores do, including Giacchino's) then it does make sense, after I thought about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    The question in everyone's mind is if Thor agrees with him.

Well, of course I don't, as I mentioned earlier.

I disagree with a lot of what Giacchino says, and perhaps that is also one of the reasons why I don't connect to his music that much - i.e. his whole approach to the artform and where he started from. I tend to prefer film composers that have a primarily musical background, whether it is the classical world or various forms of contemporary music (jazz, pop, rock). Granted, Elfman was also a film music fan when he was younger, but not really a soundtrack collector.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What does what he says have to do with his music? If it was like that, nobody would like Horner's music except Franz and Southall wink

But wait, Giacchino doesn't have a musical background, you say?
  1. If you're talking about musical education as in having a degree in music - no he's not. He is actually a film producer and a historian. I think the latter had a lot to do with his willing scoring of WWII-related games.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't care about that; he has more musicianship than 10 average musical school graduates put together. Papers don't make men.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    He doesn't have a professional musical background, but considering it's been his hobby all his life I think it's pretty fair to say he's good at what he does. And that's an understatement! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't care about that; he has more musicianship than 10 average musical school graduates put together. Papers don't make men.

Here here applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not doubting his musicianship. He's studied music and he has the necessary musical chops. I was only referring to his background as a soundtrack fan like "us"; who came to the interest through films once upon a time - pr. his own interview statements. I think that accounts for why I don't connect to him so much. One of them, anyway. Take away his film composer career and he's basically like the rest of the majority of members at FSM (and here) that I disagree with on certain core issues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If all hobbyists were at his level, the world would be full of perfect professionals wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not doubting his musicianship. He's studied music and he has the necessary musical chops. I was only referring to his background as a soundtrack fan like "us"; who came to the interest through films once upon a time - pr. his own interview statements. I think that accounts for why I don't connect to him so much. One of them, anyway. Take away his film composer career and he's basically like the rest of the majority of members at FSM (and here) that I disagree with on certain core issues.

But that doesn't really explain why you don't get the same connection to his music people like myself or D have.

Being a fan of something you do for a living surely gets the better out of you as you know the type of thing people want.

I don't quite understand how the fact he was once "one of us" would impact his music or appeal?

Maybe I'm just missing your point but even if you didn't know the first thing about Giacchino surely his music would still appeal to you the same way it does (or doesn't) now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (and he certainly is NOT one of us, under any circumstance, no matter how much some would like that to be true. Even in that case, i'd be more than happy to listen to the music of one of us in the future)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Justin?

But seriously, what? Your comment confuses me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    I don't quite understand how the fact he was once "one of us" would impact his music or appeal?

Well, it makes an impact in the sense that it's easy to "channel" your heroes and do pastiches on them.

I've said it before, but to me Giacchino's music just sounds like "pretty orchestral music" with no soul or identity, at times nodding to Williams or Barry or Goldsmith or whatever.

I think his immense appeal within score fan circles partially lies there and partially that he chooses fan favourite genres and territory, that he's very Hollywood-minded and - as I said - that he writes genre-based, traditional, orchestral film music.

I've found some interesting bits and pieces in LOST (mostly the ambient suspense stuff that I would never listen to alone), but nothing beyond that.

My point was that I'm not surprised his various ideologies differ so much from mine, as his music itself is not my cup of tea either. I don't think it's just a coincidence.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ah, I think I see what you mean - so in your opinion the fact that he "knows" what people want because he was/is one in that circle impacts his music as he often mirrors or channels other scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Ah, I think I see what you mean - so in your opinion the fact that he "knows" what people want because he was/is one in that circle impacts his music as he often mirrors or channels other scores?

Yes. And not only knows it, but apparently prefers it himself too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That's fair enough. Keep the good old days alive in my opinion!
  2. Reported by Chris Tilton:

The Disney animated special "Prep & Landing" airs tonight after "A Charlie Brown Christmas on ABC at 8:30/7:30central. Giacchino did the score, and while I haven't heard it yet, I know there's lots of orchestra and choir. So tune in!

This would be for U.S. residents.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    I thought he was taking a break! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    Shhhhh. wink

Maybe he forgot. Keep quiet and he might just carry on writing music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Why would Chris Tilton need a break?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    A great article about the Up score - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b … of-up.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited
    Free & legal! Watch Prep & Landing fully online. With Giacchino score of course christmas_biggrin

christmas_treechristmas_tree Disney's Prep & Landing christmas_treechristmas_tree
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp