• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    What do you think is the most personal and the most ,succesful in terms of composition, score by Giacchino?

Succesful in terms of composition, I'd say M:I III. I have a much harder time with "personal" - it's just not something I associate with Giacchino. I love his music, but it doesn't make any real personal connection to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    If you have the first Medal of Honor score read the liner notes. In there Michael talks about his love of history and the stories his uncle told him about the war.

-Erik-

Sadly I don´t have the first one, it´s impossible to find at a reasonable price cry I have Underground though, where he expalins who he got inspired by video tapes of surviving women from the OSS (Office of Strategic Services), and other clips of the time.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Erik Woods wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Looking for comedy in the Muslim world
    wink

Which is actually pretty good. There's a lot of source material like music (rooted deeply in East Indian music) but the last dramatic track is one of my very favourite Giacchino pieces.

-Erik-

Is there a score release for this? Much of the Indian-material sounded cliched on film. I don't remember the end track you refer to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Looking for comedy in the Muslim world
    wink

Which is actually pretty good. There's a lot of source material like music (rooted deeply in East Indian music) but the last dramatic track is one of my very favourite Giacchino pieces.

-Erik-

Is there a score release for this? Much of the Indian-material sounded cliched on film. I don't remember the end track you refer to.

Nothing commercial... wink and you won't find any bootlegs either.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    What do you think is the most personal and the most ,succesful in terms of composition, score by Giacchino?

Christodoulides wrote
    Lost season 3 and 4.

I'm with you on this one. Season four especially is so ridiculously good! cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009
    I've been playing season 4 all week, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. Although it isn't worth buying if you aren't a fan of the other seasons' CD releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009
    Interesting article:

http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=3106

The author is bemoaning modern film music and in particular the dearth of memorable themes. How interesting that he cites Giacchino's Star Trek as an example of a film without a memorable theme (it's actually the only theme written in the last 2-3 years that I could personally remember) and The Dark Knight as an example of a film with one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    slant

Is he talking about the same Dark Knight and Star Trek I listened to??
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009 edited
    "With few exceptions (Hans Zimmer's Gladiator or Dark Knight, for example), when was the last time you walked out of the theater after watching a current movie, replaying the theme song in your head?"

- Many, many times Mr. Chu. Oh, and Theme SONG? Main Theme goddammit.

"Take Michael Giacchino's recent score for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek as one example. Largely forgettable once you leave the theater"

- You can say a lot of things about Giacchino´s theme, but largely forgettable won´t be one of those things Mr. Chu.

"it is only the original series theme by Alexander Courage that we really remember...because it was so magnificently composed originally".

-Mmmm....ok slant I still think it could be the main theme of "The Love Boat" though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To be fair Marcel, the majority of people will only remember TOS theme as it's become so iconic in all those countries that Star Trek was a big hit.

But yeah, it is cheesy and I've never much liked it beyond the opening fanfare.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    slant

Is he talking about the same Dark Knight and Star Trek I listened to??

I love Giacchino's "theme" but it's hardly full bodied compared to works by the great theme masters.

As for DARK KNIGHT I can barely give a fig, the film didn't get the score it deserved.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    With few exceptions (Hans Zimmer's Gladiator or Dark Knight, for example), when was the last time you walked out of the theater after watching a current movie, replaying the theme song in your head? Take Michael Giacchino's recent score for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek as one example. Largely forgettable once you leave the theater

Hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009 edited
    I think Mr. Chu is just jealous because he doesn't have one of these. biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who is this guy? Mr.Chu-whatava?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who is this guy? Mr.Chu-whatava?

Someone with worthy POV but hasn't done his homework.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Point Of View?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah! I always thought POV was universally known......even as far away as Riga 9?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009 edited
    fommes wrote
    With few exceptions (Hans Zimmer's Gladiator or Dark Knight, for example), when was the last time you walked out of the theater after watching a current movie, replaying the theme song in your head? Take Michael Giacchino's recent score for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek as one example. Largely forgettable once you leave the theater

Hilarious.

Well, You are all wrong guys.

For an Ape It's easiest remember one note theme, than a theme with 6 notes tongue Don't you think?

Talking seriously, The Dark Knight has a lot of motifs, so He perhaps remember one. About Giacchino's Star TRek, I can't remember any theme that stuck in my head so quickly than it did!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009
    I was so right with my last comment on this post, that everybody shut up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Except you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    sadly, writting this, you contradicted yourself. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sadly you contradict yourself by your mere existence.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009 edited
    According to THIS picture, and if you force your eyes ´til they bleed, the Lost Suite Giacchino conducted in Úbeda this summer was orchestrated by Chad Seiter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009 edited
    Does anybody have the Lost season 4 Blu-ray, by the way? How is the BD-exclusive extra with cues from the Lost symphony?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    According to THIS picture, and if you force your eyes ´til they bleed, the Lost Suite Giacchino conducted in Úbeda this summer was orchestrated by Chad Seiter.

When I was in the rehearsals at the sides of the stage I did zoom into some of the sheet music on my camera. I'll get the tapes out again later and take a look because I can't remember if I saw LOST.

fommes wrote
    Does anybody have the Lost season 4 Blu-ray, by the way? How is the BD-exclusive extra with cues from the Lost symphony?

It's only an unbalanced recording of "The Others" suite. The main featurette is much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Chad Seiter? That explains why it wasn't good wink uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Anthony wrote
    It's only an unbalanced recording of "The Others" suite. The main featurette is much better.

Ah, so no 'exclusive extras' reason then to get the Blu-Ray instead of the DVD? Thanks!