• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    I loved it in the movie, it elevates it greatly. Plus it brings out the innocence which the movie is about. But nevertheless, i don't think it should get all those awards if you look at things objectively but then again, why shouldn't it?

Do awards matter all that much really, i mean apart their function as p.r. machines? And why should every modern score that gets nominated and awarded largely be automatically linked with glorious scores of the past which didn't? Are the awards of any kind really the criteria with which one can gauge any kind of quality whatsoever?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    Apart FROM. crazy

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's very true shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    So just what about it makes it so outstanding? I ask in genuine curiosity.

I think it's a score that needs the film. Or the film needs the score. On first listen I was a bit meh about it as well. But once I saw the movie I understood it's greatness ( I did the same thing with Wall-E.) Yes, there is "Married Life" but that could have easily backfired if not done correctly. This was Giacchino's "The Enterprise" moment and like Goldsmith he went above and beyond delivering what will certainly be one of the most talked about cues in recent film music history.

The thematic material is catchy and is well placed through the rest of the score especially in the high flying action material, which doesn't reach the heights of SWON, but is still incredibly exciting and very well composed. The integration of ALL the thematic material at the end of the film is extraordinary. Lots of interesting textures and layers all developing one on top of the other without sounding chaotic! It's an imaginative score with lots of heart and emotion!

Now, I don't think it's up there with the greatest of all great scores - this isn't Star Wars, Ben-Hur or Casablanca we are talking about here - but out of the crop of score that came out in 2009 this one stood tall and the film itself gave Giacchino a rare opportunity to really let his music stand out.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks for your detailed comments, Erik. beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010
    Interesting to see that Thomas Newman didn't get the John Carter of Mars project. Giacchino seems like a good choice to me.

http://moviescoremagazine.com/2010/03/g … r-of-mars/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Scorefanatic wrote
    Another new project:
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … christmas/

A shame it's not plasticene animation slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Curse Of The Were Rabbit seemed too CGI-ish, or computer assisted at least. The old shorts were sooo much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    The Curse Of The Were Rabbit seemed too CGI-ish, or computer assisted at least. The old shorts were sooo much better.

I think some of that is down to the score. The music in the shorts was so charming; the feature length one, really rather crass.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Were Rabbit had CGI? I thought it was all plasticene? I guess I shouldn't be surprised if there were a few touches.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Were Rabbit had CGI? I thought it was all plasticene? I guess I shouldn't be surprised if there were a few touches.

I thought it was all plasticene too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    Me too. And i loved it btw, one of the best animated films i've ever seen. Can't wait for more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And Julian Nott composed for all Wallace & Grommitt films, right? The shorts AND the feature?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes. But the movie was all MV'd up and wasn't that great. The shorts (even the most recent one) all have a much higher standard of music. I WISH they'd get released as they're brilliantly over the top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited
    Ah. slant Catering to a more generic public.
    I never listened to the film score properly I have to admit.

I think some short suites from the shorts were made available somehow somewhere.
    I know I have them... but where...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    His 'A Matter Of Loaf & Death' score was brilliant. Shame it isn't available (not to my knowledge at least?)
  1. Martijn wrote
    I think some short suites from the shorts were made available somehow somewhere.

I think that there was a Julian Nott promo CD doing the rounds a while back. I've kept an eye out for it once in a while but have never been able to find a copy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Yes. But the movie was all MV'd up and wasn't that great. The shorts (even the most recent one) all have a much higher standard of music. I WISH they'd get released as they're brilliantly over the top.

Yeah - and so much classier. The musical decisions in the feature were dreadful (using that wonderful main theme as an action track, for instance - completely idiotic).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote

There was a really short promo with some tracks from the third one in, and the train chase cue from the second..but that's all I've been able to find.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I always think it would be great if Micheal gets a chance to score a traditional animated movie (hand-drawn or stop motion). Let's hope John Lasseter will pick him for a future Disney project.

Timmer wrote

The rabbits floating in the machine (and the end credits) were all CGI. And some special effects.

Though I enjoyed the Were-Rabbit score mostly because of Julian's Anti-Pesto theme lick , nothing can beat the Wrong Trousers.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you on The Wrong Trousers, great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    And Julian Nott composed for all Wallace & Grommitt films, right? The shorts AND the feature?

Just to clarify, there's just one feature so far? And how many are the shorts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, two.
    And I think there are four shorts all in all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There's one feature and four shorts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, my mistake: one indeed.

Shorts:

-A Grand Day Out (1989)
    -The Wrong Trousers (1993)
    -A Close Shave (1995)
    -A Matter of Loaf and Death (2008)

Feature films:

-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's also the ( very short ) Cracking Contraptions cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I see. One feature is what i remember too. Haven't seen any of the shorts...are they good? I loved the feature movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    I see. One feature is what i remember too. Haven't seen any of the shorts...are they good? I loved the feature movie.

The shorts are all fabulous.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The shorts ARE Wallace & Gromit. So much better than the movie and the scores are incredible.