• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    *hopes there are no aliens*
  1. I woudn´t mind, from a strict archaeological point of view, of course...
    living, breathing aliens? - whoa...
    but mummified alien skeletons - great stuff!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008 edited
    Mummified alien skeletons is the more likely outcome. At the very most, considering the penultimate cue is called 'The Departure', it sounds like there could be some kind of alien... departure. (X-Files: The Movie style.)

If so, I can't wait!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Mummified alien skeletons is the more likely outcome. At the very most, considering the penultimate cue is called 'The Departure', it sounds like there could be some kind of alien... departure. (X-Files: The Movie style.)

If so, I can't wait!

Or they could just be leaving somewhere....

Relics of aliens is fine by me though. Hell, we've got zombies coming by the looks of things... rolleyes

*Remains undecided*
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Bollocks it is! Gimme this over The Last Crusade any day.

'Call of the Crystal' is appropriately eerie and I can't wait to hear it in the movie. 'The Adventures of Mutt' is a wonderful Hook-esque action piece, a lot of fun! 'Irina's theme' is another winner IMO, dark and brooding yet strangely evocative. And the comical action music? I love it, it's great to hear John Williams doing this kind of thing again.. it's been too long!

The end of the album gets darker, and I smiled when I heard the War of the Worlds lift. I think that's gonna sound great in the movie. 'The Jungle Chase' was a cue I immediately returned to after my first listen of the album. 'The Journey to Akator' starts off with the Indy theme as played when he's escaping in the C-3PO plane in the first film and then turns into a very unexpected Mexican folk music type of thing (sorry, don't know the proper musical terminology here).

It's scoregasmic to hear the Ark theme in a 21st century score!

Williams was clearly having a lot of fun with variations on the march in 'Finale' and is a brilliant way to end the album/score.

I can't wait for my actual CD. wink

Funny... you just clearly explained why this is the WEAKEST entry in the series. All of these comparision to other scores... would you describe the other three scores with references to others in Williams repertoire... No. Look, I'm glad you enjoy it but it just can't compare to what Williams produced for the first three films.

And it seems that your dislike for Last Crusade is aimed at Dan Wallin and not Williams music. Yes, the recording sucks but what about the music. Do you prefer Crystal Skull's music over Last Crusade's?

BTW, I gave this album another spin and it seems that I like the moredramatic passages over the action music. That's blasphemy in my books. wink Erik preferring more dramatic music over action music in an action adventure score? dizzy

Anyway, off to produce my Indiana Jones saga show which should be on-line next week. All four films, video game music and the Young Indy chronicles.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, off to produce my Indiana Jones saga show which should be on-line next week. All four films, video game music and the Young Indy chronicles.

-Erik-

Looking forward to that! beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Will there be anything exclusive on it, i.e. ''Indiana Jones saga show...with COD Finest Hour''? tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That should be an excellent show, Erik!
    All media variants feature truly outstanding music! You could easily fill an hour or three with only highlights!

NP: A Fistful Of Dollars - Ennio Morricone
    The GDM release really is the ultimate word on this score. Chockful of themes (not only the great and famous main title theme) and outstanding action music. And the mixing quality is so good even the mono cues sound fantastic.
    A fine release! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    ...with COD Finest Hour''? tongue wink

Fish?
    There's FISH in it?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoseph Bat
    Nautilus wrote
    Joseph Bat wrote

There is no point in debating it. You've made up your mind.

Besides I'm also trying to debate with someone who thinks Prince Caspian is better than the first score! rolleyes

Joe

Are you sure Narnia 1 is so objective better than Narnia 2? Be careful with this kind of Argumentation. It's and advice from a older man than you tongue

Yes, I'm sure. Prince Caspian is a BORE fest. Anyone who likes it more than the first score can't give accurate opinions on anything.

Older man? Could have fooled me. Start acting your age.

Joe
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The consideration that the entire validity of a person's frame of mind would be hinging on his preference for one mediocre score to a forgettable film over another mediocre score to a forgettable film is, to say the least, slightly unsettling...

(Now had you thrown a monomaniacal obsession with At World's End into the mix, I might have been swayed wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    That should be an excellent show, Erik!
    All media variants feature truly outstanding music! You could easily fill an hour or three with only highlights!

NP: A Fistful Of Dollars - Ennio Morricone
    The GDM release really is the ultimate word on this score. Chockful of themes (not only the great and famous main title theme) and outstanding action music. And the mixing quality is so good even the mono cues sound fantastic.
    A fine release! cool

Oooooohhhhh...good idea!

NP : A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - Ennio Morricone

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Perhaps not as awesome as Starship Troopers (few things are), but awesome nonetheless:

War of the Worlds John Williams

After hearing 'The Intersection Scene' motif in 'Hidden Treasure and The City of Gold', I had to hear it in its original form. cool

"The Intersection Scene' .......brilliant piece of music, so aggresive and primal sounding, it's fooking corking! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Confrontation with olgivly is better IMO, although I the whole score is pretty darn fantastic!

Following almost the same path as Bregjie, the two disc hans zimmer set compelled me to listen to Thin red line. The village is the stand out cue, the rest being a bit boring / wierd (the cosmic beam crap)
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Joseph Bat wrote

Yes, I'm sure. Prince Caspian is a BORE fest. Anyone who likes it more than the first score can't give accurate opinions on anything.

Older man? Could have fooled me. Start acting your age.

Joe

Oh!!!! So you are really this kind of "guy". For a moment I thought It can't be possible....

Let me add you in my personal Ignore List. I hope you will do the same with me.

At least Steven is more funny and he even has some nice moments.

NP;Temple of the Doom

Much, Much better.

I'm thrilled every time I listen "nocturnal Activities","temple of the doom", "Slave childrens Crusade" or "mine car Chase"

Anything goes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Kindgom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Starting to warm up to this. I still think the action music is far too goofy but the music as a whole is so well written. As mentioned earlier I find myself enjoying the more dramatic cues over the action cues. However, The Adventures of Mutt is REALLY starting to kick ass. I love how the Indy theme is weaved in and out during the piece.

The latter half of the Jungle Chase is a lot of fun and is the only action track the sounds like Indy... well, because it's almost identical, rhythmically, to Belly of the Steal Beast.

Irina's Theme is the one piece that quickly grew on me and boy, what a slithering, sexy, evil theme that is.

The Crystal Skull motif is not bad. I think it will work it's magic in the movie but it's no Ark Theme.

And I still hate the finale... but I don't think it's a copy and paste piece that people claim it to be... or at least most of it isn't. There is a bridge section between Irina's theme and Mutt's Adventures that is no where to be found on the OST. It could be in the film but it's not on the album. Could that be new, end credit exclusive music? And The Adventures of Mutt is a different composition. And of course we get the AWESOME new Raiders March ending. Superb stuff. However, if the end credits are edited together most of it is pretty tight.

BTW, since I hate portions of the finale... the use of Marion's theme to be more specific... I have created my own Indy VI suite without Marion's theme. Instead I've inserted in portions of The Jungle Chase and made The Adventures of Mutt longer. IMHO, the finale now has more energy and contain music that is exclusive to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

-Erik-

PS - Shawn Murphy's recording is pretty darn good!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    And I still hate the finale... but I don't think it's a copy and paste piece that people claim it to be... or at least most of it isn't. There is a bridge section between Irina's theme and Mutt's Adventures that is no where to be found on the OST. It could be in the film but it's not on the album. Could that be new, end credit exclusive music? And The Adventures of Mutt is a different composition. And of course we get the AWESOME new Raiders March ending. Superb stuff. However, if the end credits are edited together most of it is pretty tight.

I don't think it's edited at all, just slightly lazy musically.
  3. One thing that does annoy me about the album is the opening track and the end credits treading over familiar ground. A bit like putting Leia's theme and Throneroom in the end credits of REVENGE OF THE SITH, it's going back to an old style in the least interesting way: verbatim.

I do like 'Irina' s theme'. 'Call of the Crystal' strikes me as more like HOLLOW MAN than BASIC INSTINCT, which makes sense given that the theme from HOLLOW MAN represents the allure of God-like power for Sebastian Crane. (I'm not saying it's a conscious reference, but just that they draw on a similar musical language.) 'Ants' seems to me one of the better action cues in the score.

Also, there IS a hint at 'Basket Chase' quite early in the score, isn't there?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Also, there IS a hint at 'Basket Chase' quite early in the score, isn't there?

"The Snake Pit" seems to have a similar musical landscape to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Gone Baby Gone - Harry Gregson-Williams

Makes for a pretty darn good listen. Chill...

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008 edited
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - John Williams

With a perfect balance between light 'mickey mousing' (in the most positive sense of the term) and a darker side of the score, especially given full range in the latter half, this is the Indy score I was hoping for. John Williams exploits several tricks he's learned in the past decade, ranging, as Demetris mentioned, from War of the Worlds to Minority Report, but this was to be expected. The man has changed, something he already showed in his updated versions of Star Wars.

Nevertheless, there's plenty of classic Indy goodness to be found over here, like in the excellent theme for Mutt, or in the perfect weaving of the Raider's march throughout the score (also in knowing when to drop it during the second, more serious half). Indy 4 certainly has enough action, tension, drama and lighthearted music to entertain throughout, brimming with high quality score writing that's vintage Williams. And, call me crazy, but, as I listened to the score on bed in the dark, I couldn't tell when exactly I was listening to that famed Jungle Chase cue. Which must be saying something about the other (according to some, non-existent) actionpieces.

I'd say, let's give this score some time. False expectations might ruin some of the first experiences, but in time, this'll be appreciated and even turning up in a lot of 'best of 2008' lists come the end of this year. It's a grower.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote

Sigh, sometimes I wish I was a man so I could shout this out here without feeling slightly awkward... shame

About time women stopped feeling awkward about orgasms wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008
    NP : THE NINTH GATE - Wojchiech Kilar

Excellent cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek Insurrection Jerry Goldsmith

'Ba'Ku Village' is a classic Goldsmith tune oozing with that magic only Goldsmith had. The rest... well the rest is bloody good too. I never listen to the official OST when I can listen to this vastly superior complete score. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JESUS OF NAZARETH - Maurice Jarre

Excellent score, great themes. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson-Williams

I'd call this more or less an extension of LWW; they're almost like two halves of one score to me. People expecting better stuff will be disappointed but I'm pretty cosy with it smile Though after seeing the movie I'll see for myself how much of the good stuff didn't make it into the CD as always tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Kindgom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Starting to warm up to this. I still think the action music is far too goofy but the music as a whole is so well written. As mentioned earlier I find myself enjoying the more dramatic cues over the action cues. However, The Adventures of Mutt is REALLY starting to kick ass. I love how the Indy theme is weaved in and out during the piece.

The latter half of the Jungle Chase is a lot of fun and is the only action track the sounds like Indy... well, because it's almost identical, rhythmically, to Belly of the Steal Beast.

Irina's Theme is the one piece that quickly grew on me and boy, what a slithering, sexy, evil theme that is.

The Crystal Skull motif is not bad. I think it will work it's magic in the movie but it's no Ark Theme.

BTW, since I hate portions of the finale... the use of Marion's theme to be more specific... I have created my own Indy VI suite without Marion's theme. Instead I've inserted in portions of The Jungle Chase and made The Adventures of Mutt longer. IMHO, the finale now has more energy and contain music that is exclusive to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

-Erik-

PS - Shawn Murphy's recording is pretty darn good!

AGREE WITH YOU WITH OUR "EVOLUTION" tongue

The version of Mutt's themes in "finale" is much better. And I onlye wants a bridge between Raiders march and Irina's theme. and the new version of Raider's Rocks!

I find Comical music a little bit out of place, it doesn't fit so well like in the past scores.And How I said this woodwinds and string crescendos are a little bit forced. But Im also starting to enjoy "Adventures of Mutt" specially when the raiders March joins the orchestra.

I think the key is this score is good but not great.

"Jungle Chase" beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry

Top notch Bond score from the guv'nor cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Followed by....

NP : THE LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER - John Barry

Only about 25 minutes but it's good cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    All this talk has made me hungry for proper Indy: Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
    punk
    Fantastic!
    I love Williams' scherzos, and none are better than his Scherzo For Motorcycle & Orchestra, but really it's all fine, from Indy's Very First Adventure (which I think still has a few too many Ewoks in it) to the rough-'n'-tumbling Escape From Venice and Belly Of The Steel Beast. The new themes are all winners -the brilliantly subdues and Newmanesque Grail theme on top-, and the Raiders' March sees us all out of some great adventure.

Right, that's my Indy fix done for a bit.
    Ready to approach Crystal Skull without any expectation whatsoever other than mild amusement (and mild annoyance as far as the muisc goes)