• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Fields of Freedom - Trevor Jones

This score is dominated by a wonderful theme. I'm listening to the suite Jones conducted in Madrid at the 1st SONCINEMAD and it's a great addition to the (short) CD release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull John Williams

Not Williams' greatest score by any standard, but it is very enjoyable. I'm expecting I'll enjoy the album more after I've seen the film.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

confused

I'm a funny guy D, clearly. I've always wanted to go into comedy...

With Jordi as yer side kick you'll go far.

Hey, I'd pay to see that?! biggrin cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I think people are being too hard on Prince Caspian. It's actually pretty good.
  2. NP: The Edge (Goldsmith)

Late, great Goldsmith. I noticed a bit earlier that a passage from CITY HALL makes a brief cameo in this score's wonderful finale cue. No matter. Still a fine score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote

Really, yeah! I'm listening to it quite a lot these days actually.

NP: Kingdom Of Heaven - Harry Gregson-Williams

But it would be an overstatement to say that PC is as good is this one! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Panthera wrote

I'm in your camp. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Scribe wrote
    Panthera wrote

I'm in your camp musical. smile

Amazing what adding ONE WORD will do. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - - Hans Zimmer

Once again, I'm listening to what is, I'm sure, one of the most controversial scores of recent. tongue But I just cannot stop listening to some tracks like "The Kraken", "Davy Jones" and "Wheel of Fortune". Yeh, I agree the electric guitar sounds (or whatever) sounds rather ugly in tracks like "You Look Good Jack" but "Davy Jones" is, in my very humble opinion, one of the best tracks composed by Hans; the organ is so beautifully played that it just gets me captivated for hours. Both the film (unreleased) and album version of this theme are unique in their own ways. "The Kraken"'s some guilty fun, whatever electronics and synths it incorporates biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - - Hans Zimmer

Once again, I'm listening to what is, I'm sure, one of the most controversial scores of recent. tongue But I just cannot stop listening to some tracks like "The Kraken", "Davy Jones" and "Wheel of Fortune". Yeh, I agree the electric guitar sounds (or whatever) sounds rather ugly in tracks like "You Look Good Jack" but "Davy Jones" is, in my very humble opinion, one of the best tracks composed by Hans; the organ is so beautifully played that it just gets me captivated for hours. Both the film (unreleased) and album version of this theme are unique in their own ways. "The Kraken"'s some guilty fun, whatever electronics and synths it incorporates biggrin

It's a very good score. It's odd, going back to this score after listening to AWE so much last year. The two scores have such a different feel due to the romantic influences that the new love theme brought to Part 3. But they are both excellent in their own way. No matter how many composers worked on them cool

NP: Speed Racer (Complete) - Giacchino
    The album version appears to contain all the major highlights of the score, but in both versions this is just an incredible work. I hope this is just the beginning of Giacchino's career because he deserves to be one of THE top composers for the next several decades. And this is coming from someone who didn't like the man's work at all for a long time. He has fully converted me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Panthera wrote

I'm in your camp musical. smile

Amazing what adding ONE WORD will do. shocked

Now that made me laugh! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Aladdin - Alan Menken

Much underrated, IMO. How Menken fused Arabic style and Western orchestral music is remarkable. Even though much good stuff from the movie remains unreleased, tracks like "Jafar's Hour", "Marketplace", "Cave of Wonders", "The Battle" and "Happy End in Agrabah" are gems that I just cannot stop listening to. Cave of Wonders is especially, IMO, very well composed with beautiful string and brass work. A very special musical treasure of mine smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:First Knight (Goldsmith)

"Escapre from Malagan's cave " is awesome. i love this xylophone!.

And what about Malagan's return? Total recall like!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - J.T. Williams

After a couple of days off, I couldn't resist returning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Speed Racer (Complete) - Giacchino
    Sometimes it sounds like Williams and sometimes it sounds like GOLDSMITH and all the time it still sounds like Giacchino.

His "softer" material is deceptively simple at first, but the more you hear it the more it grows on you.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote

STILL. RESISTING. AAAH.

It's really hard now considering I can see the CD in the rack! crazy
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008 edited
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Liked it the first time I listened to it, but it's continuing to grow on me! Only bit I don't really care for is the ethnic South American music in the second part of "Journey to Akator". Sure, it's executed really well, it's just not my cuppa.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote

STILL. RESISTING. AAAH.

subliminal message : play me, go on, you know you want to, you know you can't resist, go on, play me play me play me play me, I'm john williams and you cannot resist my power : subliminal message
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote

STILL. RESISTING. AAAH.

This is not the score, you're looking for [Jedi hand-movement]
    You can go about your business [Jedi hand-movement]
    Move along, move along [Jedi hand-movement]
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But I'm a Toydarian, mind tricks don't work on me! wink tongue
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    But I'm a Toydarian, mind tricks don't work on me! wink tongue

And older Williams-score WILL do! [Yet another Jedi hand-movement] wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MARCO POLO - Ennio Morricone

A true favourite of mine, gorgeous! cool
  4. Timmer wrote

Guess what I'm playing! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hmmmmmm????....the Kazoo?....Jewish Harp?....Digeredoo? cheesy wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

`

Yeah, I know!

Only goes to show what a class act you are! punk cool beer
  5. NP: 30th Anniversary Varese Sarabande set

A mixed bag. Most of it are very good (of course, they have a selection of 5 years to choose from) but some are questionable. I mean, they're good, but of the "5-year best" quality? Example: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, Grindhouse, Stealth.

Also, some cue I'd like them to put in are not there. Example: no I Am Legend. no Constantine (This one may not matter much, but to put in Tokyo Drift instead?)

I like the first disc (children/fantasy film) and the second half of the third disc (sci-fi/superheroes film), but the other parts are quite good as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: 30th Anniversary Varese Sarabande set

A mixed bag. Most of it are very good (of course, they have a selection of 5 years to choose from) but some are questionable. I mean, they're good, but of the "5-year best" quality? Example: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, Grindhouse, Stealth.

Also, some cue I'd like them to put in are not there. Example: no I Am Legend. no Constantine (This one may not matter much, but to put in Tokyo Drift instead?)

I like the first disc (children/fantasy film) and the second half of the third disc (sci-fi/superheroes film), but the other parts are quite good as well.

Maybe they're planning for a volume 2 of this as well. Just in time for Bob Townson's 1000th cd?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: 30th Anniversary Varese Sarabande set

What's wrong with TOKYO DRIFT?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DANNY ELFMAN - Standard Operating Procedure.

Very good score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I always play music when Im trying to get sleep. I have "Crystal skull" and " Prisoner of Azkaban" in the same Mp3. I pressed the "play" in the mp3 , and I thought I was listening "crystal" when suddenly "double trouble" motif Appears...What the f_cking!!! I have been listening Azkaban action stuff!!! crazy

(This is seriously).

NP:First Knigth( Goldsmith)

Wow..Im in obssessive way with this one.

13 warrior and the mummy are more exotic and they have a more powerfull theme. But they are a little bit repetive and the action music is a little bit on "autopilot".

FK contains more vibrant action stuff ( ala Rambo), it's more thematic, And "camelot live" is one of the best dramatic pieces ever penned by The great Maestro!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    What the f_cking!!!

biggrin

Anyway.

Horton Hears A Who! John Powell

I continue to enjoy this one more than most scores I've heard this year, contrary to the prediction made by some that this was simply a "flavour of the month" score, liked purely because it's a new Powell score. Truth be told, I like this one because it's just so much fun!