• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah. They're so brassy.
    I hate trumpets that do that.

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah. They're so brassy.

Im really amazed when People can't admit the faults of some classics. I even admit this from my favourite composers.

But it is a war I can't win...so I move on.

Dood.. there are NO faults in the Raiders score. None whatsoever!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah. They're so brassy.

Im really amazed when People can't admit the faults of some classics. I even admit this from my favourite composers.

I'm really amazed that you see it as a fault, so it works two ways doesn't it Jordi? rolleyes

And why is being able to complain about one of your favourite composers a virtue exactly??
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote

In 20-30 years, how will you react when people make comments like that about AWE?
    I know I will defend it vigorously, not because it as actually flawless (there is no such thing as a flawless score), but because it is a very significant work in the earlier years of my film music fandom, and will always hold a special place in my heart.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Playing Kung Fu Panda AGAIN is moving ON? shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah. They're so brassy.

I'm really amazed that you see it as a fault, so it works two ways doesn't it Jordi? rolleyes

And why is being able to complain about one of your favourite composers a virtue exactly??

Because you can be more objective? Because even your fav composers can do something you don´t like?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    (there is no such thing as a flawless score),

Yes there is... it's called Raiders of the Lost Ark. I win!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah. They're so brassy.

Because you can be more objective? Because even your fav composers can do something you don´t like?

Yes, that makes sense when you are talking about a score like... oh, I don't know... John Goldfarb, Please Come Home. Why do we feel the need to bitch and complain all the time... especially you Jordi. Do we need to find faults with every single score we listen to? There is being objective and then there is be obsessive with finding the faults in EVERYTHING!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ^ biggrin

It's naught to do with favourite composers or admitting fault.
    Jordi has some sort of problem with the brass recording that -I guess- is subjective, cause I sure can't hear anything at all wrong with it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah. They're so brassy.

There's being objective and then there's being a pedantic hard-to-please son of a bitch. (Not that I'm accusing Jordi of that, I just don't think it's the right attitude... or at least a particularly nice one.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah. They're so brassy.

NP: Kung FU Panda

The trumpets here are much better tongue

Yes, trumpets are ALWAYS better when layer upon layer of synth pads are all over them. Who wants to actually hear a trumpet which sounds like a trumpet?

NP: Atlantis - JNH

Just because everyone else seems to like it so much and I haven't listened to it for years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    pedantic hard-to-please son of a bitch.

You rang, Sir?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote

Just because everyone else seems to like it so much and I haven't listened to it for years.

My God, this is absolutely awful, unlistenable trash.

Moved on to a JNH score I do like, Lady in the Water
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

There's being objective and then there's being a pedantic hard-to-please son of a bitch. (Not that I'm accusing Jordi of that, I just don't think it's the right attitude... or at least a particularly nice one.)

I can be a lot of things, but Im sure i'm not pedantic Hard to please.

From my modest opinion I find something wrong with Raiders of the lost Ark recording. But I will pay attention to smarter people than me (like Erik, James, Steven...), because they Probably will be right. But I still will find this trumpets too distorsioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    But I still will find this trumpets too distorsioned.

Bah! Buy yourself some new ears!

Southall wrote

Really? REALLY? REALLY? Wow! I think it's superb. Yes, the Carl Stalling mickey mousing does seem a bit out of place... again, I have nothing against mickey mousing but it's placement in this score is jarring. It really screws up pacing of the magnificent track "The Submarine." But the latter half of the album is outstanding. "The Crystal Chamber" and "Just Do It" are worth the price of the disc alone.

-Erik-
  1. Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

Did you try the second half of it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Battle Royale (Masamichi Amano)
    It´s been a while since I played this. Amazing as the first day. Followed by a fantastic sequel by the same composer.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark - some random composer

I am discovering this score for the first time... Williams 80s bliss!

I really find annoying how the trumpets sound in this score. rolleyes

YES!!!!!!! That's the old sound I'm talking about. Someone (even if it is Jordi) finally agrees with me!!! biggrin beer

They're screechy and high-pitched. And old darned recording! When it gets too loud, the microphones give up!

I'll be in Mexico 'til this thing blows over. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    pedantic hard-to-please son of a bitch.

You rang, Sir?

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I have nothing against mickey mousing

I do, and i am with JAmes on this one. Never quite understood WHY people actually listened to Atlantis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    NP Battle Royale (Masamichi Amano)
    It´s been a while since I played this. Amazing as the first day. Followed by a fantastic sequel by the same composer.

For 2 god-awful movies! The scores were good though, indeed.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

I can be a lot of things, but Im sure i'm not pedantic Hard to please.

Did someone mention my name? cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark - some random composer

I am discovering this score for the first time... Williams 80s bliss!

I really find annoying how the trumpets sound in this score. rolleyes

YES!!!!!!! That's the old sound I'm talking about. Someone (even if it is Jordi) finally agrees with me!!! biggrin beer

They're screechy and high-pitched. And old darned recording! When it gets too loud, the microphones give up!

I'll be in Mexico 'til this thing blows over. wink

beer

NP:Kung FU Panda (Zimmer and Powell...Or Do I must Say : Powell featuring Hans Zimmer? )

Well structured, Devoloped, Coherent, thematic, exotic, modern, heroic, Dramatic....

Im sure Zimmer tracks are : Dragon Warrior Is Among Us, Tai Lung Escapes (Im not sure if it's a very very good track or not ), Peach Tree Of Wisdom, Sacred Pool Of Tears, The Dragon Scroll and Oogway Ascends.

Anyway, Thanks to Zimmer to make Powell to come back to his earlier Sound (In his recent efforts he was over using the orchestra )

Training po punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Really? REALLY? REALLY? Wow! I think it's superb. Yes, the Carl Stalling mickey mousing does seem a bit out of place... again, I have nothing against mickey mousing but it's placement in this score is jarring. It really screws up pacing of the magnificent track "The Submarine." But the latter half of the album is outstanding. "The Crystal Chamber" and "Just Do It" are worth the price of the disc alone.

-Erik-

I gave up before I got there - maybe I'll try again. It was the mickey-mousing which did it for me. I have no problem with it when done really well and in a truly musical fashion, but I didn't get that here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I have nothing against mickey mousing

I do, and i am with JAmes on this one. Never quite understood WHY people actually listened to Atlantis.

Christ D, that's a bit harsh, especially considering it's an awesome score that shows a ridiculous talent for writing for orchestra. I'm genuinely disappointed and shocked you think that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Peter Pan James Newton Howard

Another JNH score that everyone probably hates. rolleyes (I exaggerate of course, simply because I'm so shocked.)

Anyway, this is an underrated score. I'm sure Lee will agree with me on that one, he actually likes things and doesn't complain like the rest of you bastards!
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    All of his Disney scores are good (Peter Pan, Treasure Planet, Dinosaur, Atlantis), but Dinosaur is by far the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Kung FU Panda

For the love of god Jordi, WE DON'T CARE! You don't have to post about it every time you play it, WE GET IT.
  3. NP: Angels in America (Thomas Newman)

I would like to watch this fantastic play/miniseries again. The way it meshed doomsday, AIDS and the state of America into a story really impressed me. It still amazes me that despite the thousand Emmys this show won, Newman's music - a highpoint of his career - was not even nominated. Bizarre.

'The Great Work Begins' is the best of those glorious Newman end title compositions, and the standard is high for those.
  4. Panthera wrote
    All of his Disney scores are good (Peter Pan, Treasure Planet, Dinosaur, Atlantis), but Dinosaur is by far the best.

Alas, that may be saying something, since a lot of people just hear knock-offs of Goldsmith when they hear DINOSAUR. I haven't heard it outside the film, but I enjoyed PETER PAN the most in the film of those.

(Was HIDALGO also Disney?)