• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Regarding Henry - Hans Zimmer

I just love this early '90s score from Zimmer. Less is definitely more with this score - and listening to this with headphones and the volume turned up it sounds great!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    NP: Atlantis - JNH

My God, this is absolutely awful, unlistenable trash.

Really? REALLY? REALLY? Wow! I think it's superb. Yes, the Carl Stalling mickey mousing does seem a bit out of place... again, I have nothing against mickey mousing but it's placement in this score is jarring. It really screws up pacing of the magnificent track "The Submarine." But the latter half of the album is outstanding. "The Crystal Chamber" and "Just Do It" are worth the price of the disc alone.

-Erik-

I gave up before I got there - maybe I'll try again. It was the mickey-mousing which did it for me. I have no problem with it when done really well and in a truly musical fashion, but I didn't get that here.

Too bad. You should give my Atlantis Concert Suite a listen. I took out all the mickey mousing and created a superb 8 minute track featuring the major highlights. It's a great listen. PM me, James, if interested. In the meantime start with The Crystal Chamber and listen to the rest of the album from there. Awesome stuff still to be heard.

I find that some of you just flat out give up on scores way too easy and wait too early. Yes, there are some scores that are truly awful and will never get better with multiple listens but for the love of God listen to the whole thing at least once before passing judgment or you might miss out on something. Don't pull a Jordi.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote

I find that some of you just flat out give up on scores way too easy and wait too early. Yes, there are some scores that are truly awful and will never get better with multiple listens but for the love of God listen to the whole thing at least once before passing judgment or you might miss out on something. Don't pull a Jordi.

Agreed. Some of most remarkable scores of the last few years... like THE PAINTED VEIL, THE GOLDEN COMPASS and others, don't yield all their treasures on a first listen. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I have nothing against mickey mousing

I do, and i am with JAmes on this one. Never quite understood WHY people actually listened to Atlantis.

Christ D, that's a bit harsh, especially considering it's an awesome score that shows a ridiculous talent for writing for orchestra. I'm genuinely disappointed and shocked you think that.

I'll take Hidalgo or Dinosaur anytime over that one mate.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Playing Kung Fu Panda AGAIN is moving ON? shocked

LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Agreed. Some of most remarkable scores of the last few years... like THE PAINTED VEIL, THE GOLDEN COMPASS and others, don't yield all their treasures on a first listen. wink

And I gave those two a lot of time and patience and still didn't get all the fuss.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    NP: Atlantis - JNH

Just because everyone else seems to like it so much and I haven't listened to it for years.

My God, this is absolutely awful, unlistenable trash.

Moved on to a JNH score I do like, Lady in the Water

ATLANTIS? I remember not liking it at all on my first listens and I haven't played it since, I'm going to definitely give this a play tomorrow, who knows, I might have a revelation?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

And I gave those two a lot of time and patience and still didn't get all the fuss.

-Erik-

Twas just a joke. wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Kung FU Panda

For the love of god Jordi, WE DON'T CARE! You don't have to post about it every time you play it, WE GET IT.

It could be worse....it could be Pirates Of Thhhhhheeeeee sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

For the love of god Jordi, WE DON'T CARE! You don't have to post about it every time you play it, WE GET IT.

Doesn't matter what score it is! He's more than welcome to play it as many times as he wants, if that's what he wants to do and enjoys it, then great, all the best to him. But do we really need read about it every time he plays it!?

PS I Love You John Powell

Lovely. cool
  4. NP: La Jeune Fille et les Loups (Armand Amar)

Why are so many of the good scores these days the ones that extensively rely on minimalism?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

ok ok.....

NP: Baby - Secret of the lost Legend

MMmm.... rolleyes

Luckly The action Stuff is Almost so Good than In Rambo!!! beer
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I have nothing against mickey mousing

I do, and I am with James on this one. Never quite understood WHY people actually listened to Atlantis.

Because of the second half. Usually I skip forward to it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Greystoke (Scott )

Preparing to my Experience in Ubeda.

beer

Gorgeous Stuff !!!! sweeping Epic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote

beer

shocked
    Who are you and what have you done with Kung F... I mean Jordi?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

beer

shocked

I tried to do a big twist like in 24 or Lost tongue

And I listen other composers too!!! punk

In fact, I listen more other composers than my favourite ones, but people only pays attention when Im in my obsessive way (well, perhaps it's because I'm too obsessed sometimes.... shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Karate Kodiak - those crazy MV Vellows

Lotsa fun!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Karate Kodiak - those crazy MV Vellows

Lotsa fun!

It took me about 30 seconds to figure this out... shame
    I was sitting there thinking...why the kriff haven't i heard of this score before?!?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. I just bought these albums so...

NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (John Williams)

and...

NP: 3:10 To Yuma (Marco Beltrami)

Double episodes of adventurous scores!

PS: Really, both are 'just arrived' category here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

I've said enough about this score here already, haven't I? wink

But today I'm listening to the track "...To Die For" on the official soundtrack, and marvelling at its power. How perfectly Zimmer captures every emotion of the scene, the confusion of the stampede, the terror in the hearts of Simba and Mufasa, and there's even a moment when the music becomes emotional as a wildebeest slips and is trampled, to show how the wildebeests are only the poor pawns in Scar's evil plan... and how, HOW Hans captures the fright in Simba's heart as he rapidly flicks his eyes back and forth in the swirling sea of wildebeests, searching for a sign of his father! And I don't have words to describe the second half of the track (Simba sobbing over Mufasa's body) scoring one of the saddest and most tragic scenes in Disney history, I still cannot bear to watch it on DVD.

The music brings uncontrollable tears to my eyes and sets every erector pilli muscle in my body to work. God knows how much I love this!! And the unedited track in the 21 track bootleg has to be in FRIGGIN MONO!!!! crazy If there's any good quality complete score I want unlike anything else, it is this!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

beer

shocked

I tried to do a big twist like in 24 or Lost tongue

And I listen other composers too!!! punk

In fact, I listen more other composers than my favourite ones, but people only pays attention when Im in my obsessive way (well, perhaps it's because I'm too obsessed sometimes.... shame )

No Jordi, people pay attention because ALL your NP's are Kung Fu Panda and POTC ( I dare not say the full name else I fall asleep wink ) so it's no surprise when people are shocked when they see you playing something by a composer like John Scott.

And talking of which, Scott's GREYSTOKE is cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: La Jeune Fille et les Loups (Armand Amar)

Yay! I got my copy last night and hope to give a listen today.

Why are so many of the good scores these days the ones that extensively rely on minimalism?

Because most of the others are going Wham, Bam, Thank you Hans? rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: La Jeune Fille et les Loups (Armand Amar)

Yay! I got my copy last night and hope to give a listen today.

Because most of the others are going Wham, Bam, Thank you Hans? rolleyes

"Wham, Bam, Thank you Hans rolleyes "

Could become a by-word for every score not "written" by Hans Zimmer that sounds like Hans Zimmer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    La Jeune Fille et Les Loups is really good indeed. The opening piece is fantastic, what an intense buildup of the whole orchestra. The main theme for La Filleis quite addictive too. One of his more accessible score I think?

BLUE PLANET | george fenton

From one orchestral orgasm to another. Some absolute terrific cues in here, somtimes even more exciting than Planet Earth. Dolphins and Emperors rule! His main theme is also stronger and wider than Planet Earth, although it has some sort of same pattern. Pity of the more synthesized tracks, which feels quite dated. Or is that just me?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith

Fantastic main titles, brilliant score and just the right length to never outstay it's jaunty welcome biggrin cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith

Fantastic main titles, brilliant score and just the right length to never outstay it's jaunty welcome biggrin cool

An addictive main theme for sure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer and Co.

Very underrated*

*by people who don't like it.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer and Co.

Very underrated*

*by people who don't like it.
    wink

rolleyes

I always thought this score was really blamed for all the movie music fans. but I see it has a lot of fans.

Ironically, it's one of the Zimmer's most bizarre score. he was starting to know how composer "Epics" and this is what makes this score not so perfect like he has showed in his posteriors efforts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    ...his posteriors efforts.

In your endo. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BTW, for the record I think Zimmer (and Co.'s) music for Gladiator was perfect for the film and makes one helluva an album. I love every moment of it!