• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Kull I have and greatly enjoy: it's a fun and energetic romp, but -its splendid main theme notwithstanding- it's not terribly clever! (Though that may be more due to the nature of the film itself).

Have you heard Joel and Jerry's collaboration on The Hour Of The Gun, Erik?
    Fantastic main theme!

I have listened to that score and YES, the main theme is incredible!

NP: Return to Oz - David Shire

Spectacular fantasy score with one of Shire's finest main themes. The solo violin version melts me.

-Erik-

I always regretted not picking up Return To Oz when I had the chance slant

The CDR will just have to do for now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormirdle
    NP: Nothing, I'm at work.

But after hearing Erik talk about the new Stargate -- I wish I was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:HImalaya (Bruno Coulais)

Brilliant Main theme...

These of this "journey" scores...

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Stargate: The Ark of Truth - Joel Goldsmith

HO-LY SHIT!!!

shocked

This is easily one of the best scores I've heard this year. Fans of Jerry Goldsmith's action style and David Arnold's thick orchestrations - Ok, they are by Nicholas Dodd, joke's over - are going to be eating this one up. This is a monster score! Clanging percussion, meaty brass, sweeping strings, deep choral writing... Joel brings this score back to the origins of the first score by David Arnold, infuses some of his father musical sensibilities and brings in his own voice for the ride as well. This is superb film...errrr... direct-to-video music. I love it!

-Erik-

Got it! punk

I love Kull, I love Arnold, I love Goldsmith, I love Stargate!!! beer
  1. NP Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves Michael Kamen

Thouroughly enjoyable, and I like the film.
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    NP Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves Michael Kamen

I always thought It was a little bit boring, but with a highly impressive 2 main themes.

NP:Doctor's Who Series 3

Impressive.

Is the show worth to wach?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

HO-LY SHIT!!!

shocked

This is easily one of the best scores I've heard this year. Fans of Jerry Goldsmith's action style and David Arnold's thick orchestrations - Ok, they are by Nicholas Dodd, joke's over - are going to be eating this one up. This is a monster score! Clanging percussion, meaty brass, sweeping strings, deep choral writing... Joel brings this score back to the origins of the first score by David Arnold, infuses some of his father musical sensibilities and brings in his own voice for the ride as well. This is superb film...errrr... direct-to-video music. I love it!

-Erik-

Got it! punk

Except anything you love, you manage to insult. Without fail.
  2. Nautilus wrote

There's more than one?!?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

HO-LY SHIT!!!

shocked

-Erik-

Got it! punk

I thought You are who you manage to insult people... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

HO-LY SHIT!!!

shocked

-Erik-

Got it! punk

Only those worth insulting.
  3. Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

HO-LY SHIT!!!

shocked

-Erik-

Got it! punk

Only those worth insulting.

Did you understand what he just said?? If so could you translate?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Unfortunately I do understand what he says.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    NP Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves Michael Kamen

I always thought It was a little bit boring, but with a highly impressive 2 main themes.

Impressive.

Is the show worth to wach?

Variable.

Most are very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

HO-LY SHIT!!!

shocked

Well well!
    Joel (standing on the shoulders of giants, of course) seems to be coming into his own then?
    I'll make a note to check this score out!

I want it too!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Impressive.

Agree! Both cd´s are pretty impressive. There are choral pieces in the first one ("Rose Defeats The Daleks" shocked ) that are simply great.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The English Patient - Gabriel Yared

So beautiful
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Having an Xbox has given new life to scores that I rarely listen to. I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed and I was listening to the most appropriate score of all; Kingdom Of Heaven (both with the same setting of the Third Crusade).

It works great and it was the first time I really enjoyed that score!

Also, even though I listen to it a lot, The Peacemaker works GREAT when playing Halo3 online. Really gets you pumped up... at one point I was told to "stop humming Zimmer, for f*ck sake Steven!". biggrin

This isn't simply a case of playing music on separate speakers as the Xbox allows you to plug in any external hard drive and play music through the Xbox so that the sound effects of the game and the music you're playing merge.

(I also played Korngold's masterpiece The Adventures of Robin Hood while playing Assassin's Creed. Not appropriate at all, but it did make it more fun!)
  4. Hans Zimmer - The Last Samurai

Mature and slightly restrained epic work from Zimmer, though featuring some blunders in film.

Revisiting an old friend smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CAPTAIN KRONOS : VAMPIRE HUNTER - Laurie Johnson

What a theme! Oh man what a theme!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008 edited
    RETURN OF THE KING | howard shore

Anduril!! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    RETURN OF THE KING | howard shore

Anduril!! punk

The Recording Sessions?

Yesterday I saw Copland, And Shore always makes the same kind of epic: for an small cop movie, or for a epic hobbit-land.

NP:John Rambo (Tyler).

In the right mood. It's generic, uninspired and a Shame for Goldsmith.

But I enjoy this average mix of ethcni percusion, MV tunes and Orchestral power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Caótica Ana (Chaotic Ana) - (Jocelyn Pook)
    Hypnotic score for a fascinating movie. Vocal / Ethnic oriented, makes for a very pleasant and relaxing listening experience.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry

Brrrrriiilliant! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SCARLET LETTER - John Barry

An excellent and, IMO, underrated Barry score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:I am Legend
    A brilliant theme, and an good use of Goldenthal tactics..

One of the best albums from JNH
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008 edited
    The Phantom Menace - John Williams

(I'm using a PC laptop as opposed to my MacBook and can't for the life of me figure out how to type a vertical line.^)

Needed something truly awesome before I'm bolstered with modern crap at the bar. Also, we bought beer kegs from Asda. They're awesome too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Alien vs Predaror :Requiem -Brian Tyler

Being watched the movie... beer

(Anyway, it has the annoying Tyler's edition: first the main theme, second a long action cue then a cue from here another from there...)
  5. James Newton Howard - Blood Diamond

Very good dramatic and exciting ethnic score for a rather underrated movie, which has some flaws, but is still a good Zwick outing. Yes, it is very Hans Zimmer-like, but orchestrated better than the usual MV fare. Not that it's hard to do, but he managed to write a dramatic action score for a very dramatic war thriller. And stay as melodic as he could with a simple but effective theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    The Phantom Menace - John Williams

(I'm using a PC laptop as opposed to my MacBook and can't for the life of me figure out how to type a vertical line.^)

Needed something truly awesome before I'm bolstered with modern crap at the bar. Also, we bought beer kegs from Asda. They're awesome too.

cool

Personally I don't think I can think of beer for at least.......ummmmm......another day or two? wink

NP : nothing
  6. Jerry Goldsmith - The 13th Warrior

Revisiting an old friend again. Haven't heard this for years and except Mulan this is the best work from the final decade of his career, I think. Amazing theme, great action music. Loud. What to expect more? Maybe less influences from Dvorak, but that's just me biggrin