• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    Katiek wrote
    Lover's Prayer by Joel McNeely (someone had to listen to something other than KotCS)

how is it like?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Joseph Bat wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Joseph Bat wrote
    Temple is a great score. but its always been too dark for my taste. And too LOUD. Joe

Yea, Because KOTCS is not dark or Loud.. rolleyes

Roll your eyes at yourself. Anyone with good ears can hear the difference between them.

Joe

Wow...this guy has officially beated Steven.

At least Steven has more to say than " you don't have good Ears".
    • CommentAuthorJoseph Bat
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Joseph Bat wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Joseph Bat wrote
    Temple is a great score. but its always been too dark for my taste. And too LOUD. Joe

Yea, Because KOTCS is not dark or Loud.. rolleyes

Roll your eyes at yourself. Anyone with good ears can hear the difference between them.

Joe

Wow...this guy has officially beated Steven.

At least Steven has more to say than " you don't have good Ears".

There is no point in debating it. You've made up your mind.

Besides I'm also trying to debate with someone who thinks Prince Caspian is better than the first score! rolleyes

Joe
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This is why I do prefer reviews, especially from people I know.
    I'm pretty aware of what Southall and Demetris like and they seem to enjoy Crystal Skull.
    I'm also pretty in touch with Erik's preferences, and he's underwhelmed.
    That makes it a good bet that I won't be impressed, as Erik's tastes tend to coincide more with my own than do Southall and Demetris' (no offense, guys. Just different tastes and all.)

That said, I don't dislike Short Round's theme merely because it underscores one of the most annoying film characters in movie history, but because its überobvious in-your-face cuteness in both melody and instrumentation simply never gelled with me. I always thought it was too easy a theme ...but then it IS quite a task trying to match up to the brilliance that is the Indiana Jones theme (i.e. The Raiders' March)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - John Williams

There's the inspired Williams were hoping for. Wonderful soaring melodies, fun and quirky at times, mysterious at others, and probably some of his best action material since the early 90s (Whomping Willow and Quidditch, Third Year). I still enjoy KOTCS and will probably listen to it more in the coming days, but like Demetris said, it's not a score that I see myself listening to much in the future.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Christodoulides wrote
    Katiek wrote
    Lover's Prayer by Joel McNeely (someone had to listen to something other than KotCS)

how is it like?

I need to listen to it again since I only listened in the car and there was a lot of traffic and distractions on today's drive, but overall I liked it. I particularly enjoyed the first few tracks, and thought they were lovely - quiet but engaging. The cd seemed to drag a little for me in the middle, and picked up again at the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Katiek wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Katiek wrote

how is it like?

I need to listen to it again since I only listened in the car and there was a lot of traffic and distractions on today's drive, but overall I liked it. I particularly enjoyed the first few tracks, and thought they were lovely - quiet but engaging. The cd seemed to drag a little for me in the middle, and picked up again at the end.

Melodic, melancholic stuff mostly?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Melodic, melancholic stuff mostly?

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/

Best of 2007 Hour 1... have a listen.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    Anthony wrote
    TrekkinD wrote
    Varese Sarabande: A 30th Anniversary Celebration

A great sampler series of Varese's last five years of output. I wish that more record labels made releases like this. It's a good way to try out new scores. From the 25th Anniversary, I picked up many CD's based on the tracks I liked on those albums. It's a good exposure to music that I might otherwise overlook or not be interested in the whole CD of.

Agreed. It's so long I haven't even got through it all yet! And I enjoy the improved mixing (even though I only hear it on the tracks I already know!)

Does anyone know they remixed all the tracks? I was wondering why Peter Pan sounded alot better than I remembered (not that it was bad in the first place). Listening to Disc 3 right now. Lots of good action tracks, but I had most of them already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Joseph Bat wrote

There is no point in debating it. You've made up your mind.

Besides I'm also trying to debate with someone who thinks Prince Caspian is better than the first score! rolleyes

Joe

Oh another "Pearl" from you. So your another argument it' because I like more Narnia 2 than 1.

Wow....I'm impressed. tongue

Are you sure Narnia 1 is so objective better than Narnia 2? Be careful with this kind of Argumentation. It's and advice from a older man than you tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    This is why I do prefer reviews, especially from people I know.
    I'm pretty aware of what Southall and Demetris like and they seem to enjoy Crystal Skull.
    I'm also pretty in touch with Erik's preferences, and he's underwhelmed.
    That makes it a good bet that I won't be impressed, as Erik's tastes tend to coincide more with my own than do Southall and Demetris' (no offense, guys. Just different tastes and all.)

That said, I don't dislike Short Round's theme merely because it underscores one of the most annoying film characters in movie history, but because its überobvious in-your-face cuteness in both melody and instrumentation simply never gelled with me. I always thought it was too easy a theme ...but then it IS quite a task trying to match up to the brilliance that is the Indiana Jones theme (i.e. The Raiders' March)

And me??? sad

Im the spaniard!!!

(Agree with your thoughts about ShortRounds)

NP: My own Indiana Jones Compilation

Now I have included the new tracks from the fourth instalmment.

"Jungle Chase" rocks! Irina's theme! I want moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee from it!

"Temple of the Doom" is y favourite Indy score, more exotic, more color, action more busy and complex....I love "Slave childrens crusade" Specially with this Horn thrills! I want an oficial Complete Realease!

Then Crusade, then Raider and then Skull.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TrekkinD wrote
    Anthony wrote
    TrekkinD wrote
    Varese Sarabande: A 30th Anniversary Celebration

A great sampler series of Varese's last five years of output. I wish that more record labels made releases like this. It's a good way to try out new scores. From the 25th Anniversary, I picked up many CD's based on the tracks I liked on those albums. It's a good exposure to music that I might otherwise overlook or not be interested in the whole CD of.

Agreed. It's so long I haven't even got through it all yet! And I enjoy the improved mixing (even though I only hear it on the tracks I already know!)

Does anyone know they remixed all the tracks? I was wondering why Peter Pan sounded alot better than I remembered (not that it was bad in the first place). Listening to Disc 3 right now. Lots of good action tracks, but I had most of them already.

Some guy did some re-mastering on the tracks, and yes, stuff does sound better. smile wink
  1. Bregt wrote
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote:
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Im really curious to see why marion's theme is heard so little in the soundtrack....Perhaps his apparecenance is in the final minutes of the movie?

HER appearance. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, how many times Jordi!

I always found Karen Allen a little bit masculine-like tongue

biggrin

You rock Jordi.

There, thought I'd save you the trouble Bregt.

(wink)

I've no idea what this means actually... confused

biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The good thing that came out of listening to the 2CD set of Zimmer music is that I've been listening to the Thin Red Line again this morning after a long time. It is really beautiful but also very sad. So I'm in the mood for some action now. First the Indy trailer.
    cuba
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Has anyone here heard the score from Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull yet? wink

Blimey! Hundreds of posts within hours here! My eyes are sore!

Anyway, I hear both sides of the mixed reactions and I can understand both.

I find aspects of the official album a little dissapointing but there are also very, very possitive attributes to this score to. However I was taken back by the direct lift from War Of The Worlds in one spot! Same director, same composer, no accident I'm sure!
    Overall I really like it. Hopefully even more after the film.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Atham wrote
    Has anyone here heard the score from Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull yet? wink

Nope. NO ONE! tongue

I haven't though. I'm strong! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm weak, I've already listened to it 3 times.

And I think this is the weakest score to come from John Williams in quite some time...

Bollocks it is! Gimme this over The Last Crusade any day.

'Call of the Crystal' is appropriately eerie and I can't wait to hear it in the movie. 'The Adventures of Mutt' is a wonderful Hook-esque action piece, a lot of fun! 'Irina's theme' is another winner IMO, dark and brooding yet strangely evocative. And the comical action music? I love it, it's great to hear John Williams doing this kind of thing again.. it's been too long!

The end of the album gets darker, and I smiled when I heard the War of the Worlds lift. I think that's gonna sound great in the movie. 'The Jungle Chase' was a cue I immediately returned to after my first listen of the album. 'The Journey to Akator' starts off with the Indy theme as played when he's escaping in the C-3PO plane in the first film and then turns into a very unexpected Mexican folk music type of thing (sorry, don't know the proper musical terminology here).

It's scoregasmic to hear the Ark theme in a 21st century score!

Williams was clearly having a lot of fun with variations on the march in 'Finale' and is a brilliant way to end the album/score.

I can't wait for my actual CD. wink
  2. Steven wrote
    I smiled when I heard the War of the Worlds lift.

There is still a chance there might be a specific reason for that lift. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Steven wrote
    I smiled when I heard the War of the Worlds lift.

There is still a chance there might be a specific reason for that lift. dizzy

We shall see. Either way, specific reason or not, it's an effective technique and I'm glad to hear it in this score. (I also hear some Munich, if only because of the instrument being used.)
  3. Funny - the theme for the Holy Grail was reminiscent of Goldsmith's theme for PATTON, and now the theme for the Crystal Skull hints at BASIC INSTINCT.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've been listening to Last Crusade recently, and I really do not like it any more. It used to be my favourite, but after becoming familiar with Raiders, Last Crusade is pale in comparison. It's all over the place it seems...the march, the scherzo, the bouncy action cue at the beginning, the Venice stuff and then the irritating theme for the Grail.

Bring on KOTCS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    I've been listening to Last Crusade recently, and I really do not like it any more. It used to be my favourite, but after becoming familiar with Raiders, Last Crusade is pale in comparison. It's all over the place it seems...the march, the scherzo, the bouncy action cue at the beginning, the Venice stuff and then the irritating theme for the Grail.

Bring on KOTCS!

I'm not the biggest fan of Crusade to be honest, mostly because of the recording. The Grail theme, although I wouldn't go as far as calling it irritating, isn't one of my more highly regarded Williams themes.

'Indy's Very First Adventure' is a great cue, but again let down by the god awful recording. 'Scherzo for Motorcycle & Orchestra' is one of my favourite cues from all the Indy scores, particularly the rerecorded version on the Greatest Hits album. The rest? I could easily live without it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP. Starship Troopers expanded! punk
    Awesome Poledourisms!
    lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

Bring on KOTCS!

The "irritating theme for the Grail"? shocked That's the best bit ya egit! tongue moon

rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steve said : "I think this is the weakest score to come from John Williams in quite some time...
    Bollocks it is! Gimme this over The Last Crusade any day."

Well said! And you made me laugh.

Anthony said: "the irritating theme for the Grail"

What!!? Almost made me cry! I cannot agree there. I love that noble theme! Just awesome!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    NP. Starship Troopers expanded! punk
    Awesome Poledourisms!
    lick

punk

Just adore the track 'Carmen's Flying'..... cool ( replay it when you get the chance Bregje, the arrangements are gorgeous )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The best Last Crusade theme is the Nazi one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Wheeeeehooooooo!! Major scoregasm on STARSHIP TROOPERS!! dizzy shocked lick

Sigh, sometimes I wish I was a man so I could shout this out here without feeling slightly awkward... shame

Hey, Anthony (and others), this score may be the perfect distraction from that new one everyone is talking about that has something to do with some skull?
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Bregje wrote
    Sigh, sometimes I wish I was a man so I could shout this out here without feeling slightly awkward... shame

Don´t. We love to hear all the details. Makes our day so much better. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps not as awesome as Starship Troopers (few things are), but awesome nonetheless:

War of the Worlds John Williams

After hearing 'The Intersection Scene' motif in 'Hidden Treasure and The City of Gold', I had to hear it in its original form. cool