• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008
    lp wrote
    NP: Iron Man

This score really grew on me. When I first got this CD, only a few track stood out. But now, after seeing the movie, I'm liking this more and more. It works really well for the movie and, knowing how it suppose to functions, makes for a better listening experience. Heck, my wifey even like the music and commented on it, to my complete surprise. kiss

Wow! ....a possitive view shocked spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Chronicles of Narnia : Prince Caspian.

People needs to listen more carefully this score. Sure.

Ok, HGW style is becoming too familiar, bland, unfocused and the main theme is average and not very memorable.

But there's enough personality, soundscapes, texture and good melodies (from the first movie) to make a very, very interesting score.

No, the first point you made on what's wrong with the score (with which i agree btw) is more severe in comparison with the 2nd, the latter not able to counterbalance and make things ok for this score. I mean, soundscapes? Cliff Martinez and Elliot Goldenthal do soundscapes mate; Prince Caspian is a snoozfest.

Harry gregson williams is good creating soundscapes.

Try with the first minutes of "journey to the how".

funny, you talk about Elioth Goldenthal, because i think if Williams wanted to do some dissonant stuff in "indy 4" or "war of the worlds" is not so mind Blowing or interesting like Goldenthal could composer.

NP:First Knigh (Goldsmith )

After a lot of months without having a Goldsmith mood ( my second favourite all time composer) no I'm back in bussines.

I cry when I listen this kind of romantic stuff by goldsmith...I need Goldsmith here again!.

"Risk but not reaward" what a 52 seconds pieces!!!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:First Knigh (Goldsmith )
    "Risk but not reaward" what a 52 seconds pieces!!!!! beer

Indeed!
    And "No Surrender - Arthur´s Farewell" are two of his best pieces ever. Simply amazing.
    I could be playing the trilogy "The Wind and the Lion" - "First Knight" - "The 13th Warrior" for hours.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull John Williams

Not Williams' greatest score by any standard, but it is very enjoyable. I'm expecting I'll enjoy the album more after I've seen the film.

Next up, Powell's Horton. I love that score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    NP: Lost - Season 3 by Giacchino. Enjoying it as much as Season 1 and 2 so far, this is my first go through on it though.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Not Williams' greatest score by any standard, but it is very enjoyable. I'm expecting I'll enjoy the album more after I've seen the film.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks, I'm here all week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    The long anticipated Crystal Skull... At this moment there's not a single cue that I'm fond of. Jungle Chase is pretty good though. Not that the music is bad, I was just hoping for more thematic, adventurous music. The suspense is boring me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Prince Caspian - Harry G-W

My first listen. Seems miles better than I remember the first one being.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Prince Caspian - Harry G-W

My first listen. Seems miles better than I remember the first one being.

Nah... basically the same thing. wink

Anyway, after listening to highlights from ALL four Indiana Jones scores I've moved onto a little playlist featuring some random tunes from films that I just so happened to catch on TV during the past few days.

"The Ultimate War and Remembering Neverland"
    from HOOK (John Williams) <-- Absolutely love this score.

"Going Home"
    from THE DEVIL'S OWN (James Horner) <-- Love the theme.

"Fawkes the Phoenix - The Chamber of Secrets - Spiders - Dueling the Basilisk"
    from HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS (John Williams) <-- Brilliant theme and action material

"The Whomping Willow And The Snowball Fight - Quidditch, Third Year - Mischief Managed"
    from HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (John Williams) <-- Extraordinary effort that reminds me of his work in the 70's and 80's with a doze of modern Williams hear and there.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Totally agree.

n.p. JOSEPH VITARELLI - John Adams

Beautiful stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

confused

I'm a funny guy D, clearly. I've always wanted to go into comedy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I've yet to comprehend all these statements of Prince Caspian being a retread of the first score. Apart from the direct rips (temp tracks are "fine" (barely) but leave them off the album), it has a completely different feel from the first score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Scribe wrote
    I've yet to comprehend all these statements of Prince Caspian being a retread of the first score. Apart from the direct rips (temp tracks are "fine" (barely) but leave them off the album), it has a completely different feel from the first score.

Prince Caspian is a lazy effort, my god how has Gregson Williams fallen from his shelve here. Totally devoid of any new material, no new heroic theme for Caspian, pfff absolutely a waste of money if you ask me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Scribe wrote

Prince Caspian is a lazy effort, my god how has Gregson Williams fallen from his shelve here. Totally devoid of any new material, no new heroic theme for Caspian, pfff absolutely a waste of money if you ask me

Pretty much agree. The new theme/motif for Caspian is generic and most of the new material is flat as well. There are some nice moments, but overall it's a definite let down.
  2. David wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Scribe wrote

Pretty much agree. The new theme/motif for Caspian is generic and most of the new material is flat as well. There are some nice moments, but overall it's a definite let down.

I'm giving the honor to Bregt, he can review this blockbuster dud. And people say I don't give the guy something biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    David wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'm giving the honor to Bregt, he can review this blockbuster dud. And people say I don't give the guy something biggrin

YOU ARE EVIL!!! devil

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    David wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Scribe wrote

YOU ARE EVIL!!! devil

-Erik-

See what I mean? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    David wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Scribe wrote

How can it be that I FINALLY find a Harry Gregson-Williams score I really like when I usually find myself totally unmoved by his stuff - and everyone else who usually likes him, doesn't like it! I must admit I haven't heard the first score for a long, long time but I don't remember it being as good as this one.
  4. Southall wrote
    David wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Scribe wrote

How can it be that I FINALLY find a Harry Gregson-Williams score I really like when I usually find myself totally unmoved by his stuff - and everyone else who usually likes him, doesn't like it! I must admit I haven't heard the first score for a long, long time but I don't remember it being as good as this one.

And I asumed you would be the one who would agree with us. You, the man who usually loaths totally devoid sequels that rehash the already used material and the scores that don't bring new ideas to the fore.

This I don't get
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I suppose I should actually listen to it all the way through before trying to pass opinion on it!

NP: Extreme Measures - Danny Elfman

If someone told me this was the score from an episode of Lost, I would believe them. Uses identical techniques, very similar orchestration, extremely similar music. And yet everyone hated it when it came out, and everyone ejaculates in their pants at the mere mention of Lost.
  5. Southall wrote
    I suppose I should actually listen to it all the way through before trying to pass opinion on it!

If someone told me this was the score from an episode of Lost, I would believe them. Uses identical techniques, very similar orchestration, extremely similar music. And yet everyone hated it when it came out, and everyone ejaculates in their pants at the mere mention of Lost.

The thing is, if this would have been the first score, I suppose many people wouldn't have attacked it like they do now. But it is the second score, and I doesn't have the Battle music (several minutes do return)

Honestly, if Gregson Williams couldn't do better than this, I'm glad he doesn't return. If David Arnold he receives the freedom like Doyle received on Harry Potter, then the 3rd will definitely kick major ass
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    The thing is, if this would have been the first score, I suppose many people wouldn't have attacked it like they do now. But it is the second score, and I doesn't have the Battle music (several minutes do return)

Back to the first score, I have now read my review to remind myself of what I thought about it, and I remember that what I thought was the same as I thought about Silvestri's Beowulf... this isn't awful, but if honestly this story only inspires you to write this, I wish you'd let someone else score films because you're never going to be a great film composer. There must be dozens of film composers out there who would sell their mothers on Ebay if they could get to score films like these, and would do such a better job of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

You said LooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOHHHHHHHHosssssst!

Ok... I'm done!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

You said LooooooooooooooooooooOOOOHHHHHHHHosssssst!

Ok... I'm done!

-Erik-

biggrin biggrin
  6. Southall wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Back to the first score, I have now read my review to remind myself of what I thought about it, and I remember that what I thought was the same as I thought about Silvestri's Beowulf... this isn't awful, but if honestly this story only inspires you to write this, I wish you'd let someone else score films because you're never going to be a great film composer. There must be dozens of film composers out there who would sell their mothers on Ebay if they could get to score films like these, and would do such a better job of it.

That I fully understand, so I'm curious to hear what you will do with the Caspian soundtrack
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

You said LooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOHHHHHHHHosssssst!

Ok... I'm done!

-Erik-

That's one horrible mental image. shocked

NP: WarGames - Arthur B. Rubenstein

The early synth cues/vocals are just horrible, but once I got past these there's some really interesting stuff. Nothing grand - sounds more like sneaking-about music - but there's some nice use of small ensembles.

I'm assuming that once the drama intensifies things will get a bit grander?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: WarGames - Arthur B. Rubenstein

The early synth cues/vocals are just horrible, but once I got past these there's some really interesting stuff. Nothing grand - sounds more like sneaking-about music - but there's some nice use of small ensembles.

I'm assuming that once the drama intensifies things will get a bit grander?

Wait 'til you get to the ending!

-Erik-
  8. Just finishing off WarGames at the moment (playing "Winner None" (original version) - a musical sequence I remember from the movie) and it's not as bad as I first feared it would be. As I mentioned, the synth stuff is something I won't be returning to any time soon. But the way the score builds through a series of tense & atmospheric cues to the final dramatic sequences is the main stand out feature of this score for me.

I found that the music itself is competently handled, and I particularly like how Rubenstein uses the small-sounding orchestra.

Although on my first (quick) listen I couldn't find any cues that merited transferring to my mp3 player, I'll definitely be revisiting the cues again and transferring a few action-oriented cues over.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn