• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    1. My family was once falsely charged by the Ministry of Taxation for tax evading of several million Euro.
    2. When I was in London to see a Goldsmith concert, we visited the British Museum. While looking at the Stone of Rosetta, which was on exhibition during that time, we talked about how important that stone was and got a nice comment of a gentleman beside us. It took me actually five seconds to notice that it had been Jerry, and he was gone before I found my courage to talk to him.
    3. I was once part of a choir which sang in front of Pope Johannes Paul II while he did a service in Rome.
    4. Together with my pregnant and newly wed wife, I once took a rented car to drive us into a godforsaken scottish valley where we were absolutely alone, there was no human soul for twenty miles or so, when we reached the end of the valley, and I said, "think about it, we´re all alone here", and the engine chose exactly that moment to die. It was a time before there were cell phones, and the moment we left the car to see what was wrong, it started to rain.
    5. On our wedding day, we forgot to take our rings, but were lucky because my wife wore two other rings, one on each hand, and we share the same ring size.

Great stories!

I'm guessing no. 2 is the false one.
    No other reason but that the coincidence seems a bit too...well, coincidental. smile

If the German bureau of taxation is anything like the Dutch one I believe no. 1 without hesitation!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    My first instinct was to say # 2 but I really want that to be TRUE! So I'll go out on a limb and say # 5 is FALSE!.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I say #4 because it sounds like something out of a movie! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    #4 too!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I didn´t participate in this game before. Is there a rule how long it lasts or should I just say a few hours, or days or so?

BTW, thanks for your answers so far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I didn´t participate in this game before. Is there a rule how long it lasts or should I just say a few hours, or days or so?

BTW, thanks for your answers so far.

Do the same as me, say you'll leave it up until later in the afternoon, evening, whatever.....but don't mention what evening, afternoon etc wink

Seriously though Ralph, there's usually only a limited amount of people that participate here, regularly it's me, Martijn, Demetris, Bregje, Bregt, Thor, Alan and occasionaly Steven, Mogens and Tintin. ( apologies if I left anyone out ) so I think it's more of a "feeling" of knowing when to end it? Give it at least a few days with the occasional "bump" if necessary.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Okay, then. Thanks for the info. I´ll let you know if that "feeling" starts to tickle me. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    5 is wrong
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    5 is wrong

Let's see if you I'll be damned D ? wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Timmer wrote
    As for Bear Grylls tongue he's a cheat

Funny you say that, because I was about to ask you how you feel about that show.

For me it's not really important if the surviving part is real or not with a whole camera crew with him and everything. I just want him to have his facts straight. So I want it to be realistic, not necessarily real.

I guess you mean with a cheat that the show is set up and that he's not really surviving?
    I don't really mind. I rather learn something about surviving than watch someone scared to death because he actually is surviving, if you get what I mean.
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    he's not really surviving?

Nope.
    He's been dead for several years and is now completely CGI-based.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

Hm, there are two ways to play these games: think of what would be the most likely situations, or what is most likely made up....

I think the real situations are often explained more extensively because that's what happens when you share an experience! So I guess 2 and 4 are true...

I think it's 1 or 5. This is a tough one! I cannot decide.
    1 happens once in a while, but was it your family? Same ring size... hard to believe, plus forgetting the rings is such a cliché hehe!

Ok then, I think 5 is false.
  2. It´s very interesting to read all those attempts at reasoning to get a result. Some are right, some are wrong (the reasonings, I mean - I won´t give a hint so early in the game), and this is much more fun than I thought. Go on then; I promise some nice explanations and additional info on ALL FIVE cases soon. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    I think the real situations are often explained more extensively because that's what happens when you share an experience!

Actually, it ususally the other way around: lies and fabrications are generally explained far more extensively. This is believed by psychologist to have to do with
    a) the background story having been more carefully thought out (in contrast to an event or story that "just happened")
    b) the belief that the amount and level of detail obfuscates the gaps or implausability of the story.

It's just a generic rule, of course, but I generally find much truth in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Still some of the details flow out naturally... Like in 4, many adjectives that are not necessary for the story. In fact for that reason 4 seems most believable to me of all 5 situations.

If 4 is false, I will be very surprised of course! And you can all laugh at me, hehe. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Timmer wrote
    As for Bear Grylls tongue he's a cheat

Funny you say that, because I was about to ask you how you feel about that show.

For me it's not really important if the surviving part is real or not with a whole camera crew with him and everything. I just want him to have his facts straight. So I want it to be realistic, not necessarily real.

I guess you mean with a cheat that the show is set up and that he's not really surviving?
    I don't really mind. I rather learn something about surviving than watch someone scared to death because he actually is surviving, if you get what I mean.
    smile

I quite like his shows too Bregje. But it's a fact that until certain things came to light, Gryll's was conning the viewing public and making out everything was as it was and not set up.

It's the honesty I have a problem with.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I have some rather small stories to tell, if you want to accept them... four are true, one is wrong.

1. My family was once falsely charged by the Ministry of Taxation for tax evading of several million Euro.
    2. When I was in London to see a Goldsmith concert, we visited the British Museum. While looking at the Stone of Rosetta, which was on exhibition during that time, we talked about how important that stone was and got a nice comment of a gentleman beside us. It took me actually five seconds to notice that it had been Jerry, and he was gone before I found my courage to talk to him.
    3. I was once part of a choir which sang in front of Pope Johannes Paul II while he did a service in Rome.
    4. Together with my pregnant and newly wed wife, I once took a rented car to drive us into a godforsaken scottish valley where we were absolutely alone, there was no human soul for twenty miles or so, when we reached the end of the valley, and I said, "think about it, we´re all alone here", and the engine chose exactly that moment to die. It was a time before there were cell phones, and the moment we left the car to see what was wrong, it started to rain.
    5. On our wedding day, we forgot to take our rings, but were lucky because my wife wore two other rings, one on each hand, and we share the same ring size.

Have fun guessing...

Come on peeps punk wave

Hey Anthony, you'll never keep your 'craziest poster ranking' without adding comments here!? cheesy wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008
    Anthony? Mogens? Steven? Martin? etc ...... wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008 edited
    I guess it´s time for more hints then...

1. My family was once falsely charged by the Ministry of Taxation for tax evading of several million Euro. When they couldn´t find stuff to prove their charge, they started to make things up from nowhere.
    2. When I was in London to see a Goldsmith concert, we visited the British Museum. While looking at the Stone of Rosetta, which was on exhibition during that time, we talked about how important that stone was and got a nice comment of a gentleman beside us. It took me actually five seconds to notice that it had been Jerry, and he was gone before I found my courage to talk to him. Additionally, we had the luck that on the same day we came to London for that concert, there was a huge Star Wars exhibition with many, many original models and costumes. That day was geek heaven!
    3. I was once part of a choir which sang in front of Pope Johannes Paul II while he did a service in Rome. During that tour, we sang in Assisi and Florenz as well.
    4. Together with my pregnant and newly wed wife, I once took a rented car to drive us into a godforsaken scottish valley where we were absolutely alone, there was no human soul for twenty miles or so, when we reached the end of the valley, and I said, "think about it, we´re all alone here", and the engine chose exactly that moment to die. It was a time before there were cell phones, and the moment we left the car to see what was wrong, it started to rain. We decided to take a short walk and hope for best on our return. Magically, the engine started up as if nothing had happened, and never did that thing again.
    5. On our wedding day, we forgot to take our rings, but were lucky because my wife wore two other rings, one on each hand, and we share the same ring size. Because of that fact, we managed to took each others rings later, twice, without noticing that we had the wrong ones on our hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    I'm sticking with 2.
    The coicidences are getting more coincidental by the second!
    <suspicion>
    <mistrust>
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I guess it´s time for more hints then...

1. My family was once falsely charged by the Ministry of Taxation for tax evading of several million Euro. When they couldn´t find stuff to prove their charge, they started to make things up from nowhere.
    2. When I was in London to see a Goldsmith concert, we visited the British Museum. While looking at the Stone of Rosetta, which was on exhibition during that time, we talked about how important that stone was and got a nice comment of a gentleman beside us. It took me actually five seconds to notice that it had been Jerry, and he was gone before I found my courage to talk to him. Additionally, we had the luck that on the same day we came to London for that concert, there was a huge Star Wars exhibition with many, many original models and costumes. That day was geek heaven!
    3. I was once part of a choir which sang in front of Pope Johannes Paul II while he did a service in Rome. During that tour, we sang in Assisi and Florenz as well.
    4. Together with my pregnant and newly wed wife, I once took a rented car to drive us into a godforsaken scottish valley where we were absolutely alone, there was no human soul for twenty miles or so, when we reached the end of the valley, and I said, "think about it, we´re all alone here", and the engine chose exactly that moment to die. It was a time before there were cell phones, and the moment we left the car to see what was wrong, it started to rain. We decided to take a short walk and hope for best on our return. Magically, the engine started up as if nothing had happened, and never did that thing again.
    5. On our wedding day, we forgot to take our rings, but were lucky because my wife wore two other rings, one on each hand, and we share the same ring size. Because of that fact, we managed to took each others rings later, twice, without noticing that we had the wrong ones on our hand.

Are these explanations or hints?

Sorry man, if you're actually adding (true) hints on top of your true OR fictional stories, I'm too confused. I'm just guessin' what sounds true and what sounds false. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    Ehm... well, hints might not have been the right choice of word here... wink

I just wanted to add some more detail, which might add to the feelings you have toward a specific answer... or not.

If you have any specific questions about something, just ask. We´ll see if I am able to confuse you even more. wink

I´m sorry that I didn´t have such energizing stories to tell like about that JUMP (which still raises my neck hair), but after all, I´m just a little film music geek who´s happy if he can stay in his hobbit hole, ignoring the world beyond the Shire.... What did you expect? wink

Anyway, I´ll keep this up for a couple of days and will solve the riddle on Sunday, agreed?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony? Mogens? Steven? Martin? etc ...... wave

bump
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    Hey, guys, I´m still waiting for your thoughts... smile

To quote a rather infamous emperor and Zimmer track title, Am I Not Mercyful?!? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    Okay, I think I should end this...

Martijn has won, and here´s why...:

This is true. The case lasted six years, and in the end the family´s company was ruined, my family suffered a lot from depression, and the guys from the Ministry went away with no excuse and nothing.

Nearly everything is true. We went to London to see the concert, we visited the British Museum, there was that Star Wars exhibition, BUT I am sorry to tell that we never met Goldsmith at the museum. But I think it would have been the perfect place for an encounter with the maestro.

Actually, our choir stood behind the Holy Father, not in front of him, but beside that, this story is true nevertheless.

This is one of many unbelievable and actually quite true stories that happened during our honeymoon. There is another one about me, my pregnant wife, and all of our luggage getting from one London station to the other in fifteen minutes to catch the night train to Scotland...

It´s true. One ring size. Beside my weight, I have actually very slender fingers, and my wife has very large hands (with long fingers) which makes it almost impossible for her to find gauntlets for her. (Is gauntlet the correct word? dizzy )

So, there you go. I hope the participants enjoyed participating.

Congratulations to Martijn, and Timmer, who guessed right, but chose wrong.

Now, off with another game...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I knew it!
    I sensed the disturbance in the Force. cool

Pretty damn nasty story about the tax men, though.
    Very sorry that things turned out that way.
    I know in Holland you could have tried and file a civil suit for damages, and lodge a complaint at the ombudsman (a sort of government watch dog).
    That wasn't an option?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    OMG, what a terrible story in the end. sad

Good game though.
    I like the story telling!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    I know in Holland you could have tried and file a civil suit for damages, and lodge a complaint at the ombudsman (a sort of government watch dog).
    That wasn't an option?

No, it wasn´t. In the end, they found something (and everyone who knows german tax law knows how easy it is to find something), so they could offer a deal. They wouldn´t continue this, and we wouldn´t file a suit. Or, in other words, when every other option was gone, and after several similar attempts, they finally framed us in a way we couldn´t prove anymore it was framing, so we had to agree to the deal, or things would have gotten even worse. Hence my trust in everything even close to "justice" is really, really gone for a long time now.
  3. Bregt wrote
    OMG, what a terrible story in the end. sad

Yeah... let´s just say I still get a shudder sometimes when the door bell rings and I don´t know the people standing in front of it... clearly the aftershock of fifteen people ringing and friendly asking me to step aside to let them do their work. Hell, if I had known what kind of work they had in mind... on the funny side... well... we´re geeks. Our flat was stuffed with books and comics and RPG books and maps and files and stuff. They never expected so much work to do in our private home (they send 30+ people to the company to search there - whatever they were searching), and at one point, they looked into our refrigerator whether we had any money hidden there. I laughed aloud, and one of the guys said "you´d have NO idea where people would hide their money"... well now I know why... rolleyes But the best was when they wanted to check out our cellar. With a knowing smile I led them down, opened our cellar and confronted those two guys with ten cubic meters of boxes of more books, magazines, comics, and even worse geeky stuff. I wished them fun and went upstairs. What was so funny was the fact that they came up ten minutes after that, and answered my quizzical look with the words... "well, we decided that there´s nothing there..." Guys, since then I know how my state´s administration works...

Good game though.
    I like the story telling!

You´re welcome. I´m prepared to tell a bit more about the more interesting ones, just ask.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    That wasn't an option?

No, it wasn´t. In the end, they found something (and everyone who knows german tax law knows how easy it is to find something), so they could offer a deal. They wouldn´t continue this, and we wouldn´t file a suit. Or, in other words, when every other option was gone, and after several similar attempts, they finally framed us in a way we couldn´t prove anymore it was framing, so we had to agree to the deal, or things would have gotten even worse. Hence my trust in everything even close to "justice" is really, really gone for a long time now.

What a horrible story, sounds like you were caught in a kind of "catch 22" situation.

Well done on your True / False Ralph, I knew I should have stuck to my instincts but I just wanted it to be TRUE so much I had to go for something else wink