• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    Some comments on IMDB about TDK´s score:

"To accompany the atmosphere is the tremendous music score by movie music maestros, James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer. With talents like these, the score is unforgettable. It is dark and moody at times, and throbbing and glorious yet dark during the action sequences. It deserves an Oscar".

"Brilliant score by James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer".

".. the music is extremely disconcerted compared with the 'majestic but unfinished' tones of Begins - but it suits the film's tone: Anarchy in every sense".

"Hans Zimmer's contribution to this film was amazing. As always, he manages to create such unique music that perfectly fits this movie".

"Sound - There are at least 3 or 4 scenes where this piercing noise gets louder and it causes suspense. After the first 2 scenes with it I liked it but thought it was over done on the 4th and 5th go. I can't see Dark Knight soundtracks flying off shelves".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    The more I hear about the movie and its rather dark and realistic approach to the matters at hand even compared to the first one, the more I think Zimmer´s and Howard´s comment about Batman´s role and that we still don´t know exactly what kind of a guy he actually is seems to make more and more sense. We´re probably not talking about a superhero movie anymore, but about something else entirely. I can already imagine some guys coming forward and crying bull because that´s not what Batman´s supposed to be and henceforth Nolan is crap and the score is crap, but on the other hand, in my opinion, Batman wasn´t supposed to be the four-part freak show that Burton started, and I like Nolan´s approach MUCH better.

So in the end I guess were getting the score this movie needs. Again. No need for the flashy heroic theme crap. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    The more I hear about the movie and its rather dark and realistic approach to the matters at hand even compared to the first one, the more I think Zimmer´s and Howard´s comment about Batman´s role and that we still don´t know exactly what kind of a guy he actually is seems to make more and more sense. We´re probably not talking about a superhero movie anymore, but about something else entirely. I can already imagine some guys coming forward and crying bull because that´s not what Batman´s supposed to be and henceforth Nolan is crap and the score is crap, but on the other hand, in my opinion, Batman wasn´t supposed to be the four-part freak show that Burton started, and I like Nolan´s approach MUCH better.

So in the end I guess were getting the score this movie needs. Again. No need for the flashy heroic theme crap. biggrin

Oh man, here we go again... spin punk wave

I'm holding off my comments regarding this movie+score until I see this movie on Sunday night. (72 hours left to go crazy) . Hans and James hadn't done anything that was inappropriate and unnecessary on their prior gigs so I reckon that it wouldn't be anything different this time. I was able to watch a bit of Batman Begins last night and the movie still rocks. The score still hits all the highs and lows. It's a shame that the music for the climatic action sequence isn't on the album. That would have made the CD a more cohesive better listen.
  1. Yes. And leaving Artibeus off the album would do it a lot of good. Though some representation of the Scarecrow material is needed for sake of completeness.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Hans and James hadn't done anything that was inappropriate and unnecessary on their prior gigs

I wasn't going to post in this thread again... but wow... I can't believe I just read that!
  2. Oh, they did biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    Hans and James hadn't done anything that was inappropriate and unnecessary on their prior gigs

I wasn't going to post in this thread again... but wow... I can't believe I just read that!

Well, believe it! In this day and age of composers being replaced left and right, I found that these two's musical portfolio contain music that, at their worst, still functioned well for the movies that they were written for, regardless of how you feel about them as compositions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    And I do understand how you feel about Hans' music and know how that influences your views, so let's put that aside for now.

What about JNH's music? I'll admit that I don't have his whole discography, but I've seen and is familiar with most, if not all of the movies he'd scored. I have far more confidence in a score that was written by JNH than, say, a score that was written by John Debney or Joel McNeely. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've seen very few films which were scored by Debney or McNeely so I don't really know - I find McNeely far more musically interesting than JNH or Zimmer, but it's hard to gauge how well he scores films when I have so little experience of it.

I think JNH missed the boat a few times though. Michael Clayton, The Interpreter - these are not well-scored films. (The use of non-JNH music in the latter is good though, if he had any hand in that.) In general I don't find he detracts from films, he just fits in the way most modern film music does - including Debney's. There aren't that many films where I think the film would have been worse if someone else had scored it, and there are a great number where I think it could have been better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    I find McNeely far more musically interesting than JNH or Zimmer
    I.

Ahahahahaha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey Jordi!
    Where have YOU been?
    wave

Incidentally, I agree with Southall: McNeely is one vastly underrated and underemployed composer. He's got a great ear for melody, and doesn't shy away from complexity.
    Why he's stuck doing direct-to-DVD third-rate comedies, I do NOT understand. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    I find McNeely far more musically interesting than JNH or Zimmer
    I.

Ahahahahaha!

I tend to agree with James here.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Far more musically interesting than JNH? Hmm, McNeely is a hugely talented composer, and has a wonderful sense of the old school movie magic, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's 'far more musically interesting than JNH'!

JNH has a much more unique musical voice than McNeely, no matter how talented McNeely is. I acually find the opposite true, JNH is more musically interesting than McNeely to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    JNH has a much more unique musical voice than McNeely, no matter how talented McNeely is. I acually find the opposite true, JNH is more musically interesting than McNeely to me.

Good for you! Zimmer also has an unique voice... so he must be more musically interesting to you as well. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It is true that McNeely writes in that "classic style" of Williams, Broughton and others whereas JNH has developed something which is probably a little more his own. But I do love that classic style, which is why he is more interesting to me! I don't find anything JNH has done as enjoyable as McNeely at his best (Soldier, Iron Will, Terminal Velocity) but there's not much in it - JNH at his best (Snow Falling on Cedars, The Village) is really extremely good - but those two scores do draw extremely heavily on classical pieces and styles, so calling them a "JNH style" is a bit unfair if you don't call Soldier "McNeely style".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No need to patronise, Erik. And yes, I guess Zimmer is more "musically interesting" to me most of the time to McNeely, and what's wrong with that? But does that mean I think Zimmer is a better composer than McNeely? No. McNeely clearly knows his way around an orchestra to a degree that Zimmer could only dream of. And then of course McNeely doesn't get many interesting gigs, so there's another reason. But I've never found myself in a McNeely mood, I've never said to myself "wow, I could really go for some McNeely right now". With JNH and Zimmer, this happens quite regularly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    No need to patronise, Erik.

Dood... you know I'm just kidding around.

Steven wrote
    And yes, I guess Zimmer is more "musically interesting" to me most of the time to McNeely, and what's wrong with that?

I just never bought into the "unique style - more interesting" argument.

Steven wrote
    McNeely clearly knows his way around an orchestra to a degree that Zimmer could only dream of. And then of course McNeely doesn't get many interesting gigs, so there's another reason.

Just because the "gigs" aren't interesting doesn't mean the score aren't. Don't be close-minded about those direct-to-DVD Disney movies he does. He clearly enjoys working on them and for some reason they have a massive budget for fully symphony scores. And trust me, his work on those films are always very interesting. Mulan 2, Cinderella III, The Jungle Book 2, and The Fox and the Hound 2 might not be the most interesting TITLES but the scores are really, really good.

Steven wrote
    But I've never found myself in a McNeely mood, I've never said to myself "wow, I could really go for some McNeely right now". With JNH and Zimmer, this happens quite regularly.

Odd... only because of your affection for everything Williams. McNeely writes in a similar style and I find any composer working within the Williams blueprint far more interesting than anything else. Good for me, right? wink

And again... we are off topic. biggrin

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Marselus wrote
    Some comments on IMDB about TDK´s score:

"To accompany the atmosphere is the tremendous music score by movie music maestros, James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer. With talents like these, the score is unforgettable. It is dark and moody at times, and throbbing and glorious yet dark during the action sequences. It deserves an Oscar".

"Brilliant score by James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer".

".. the music is extremely disconcerted compared with the 'majestic but unfinished' tones of Begins - but it suits the film's tone: Anarchy in every sense".

"Hans Zimmer's contribution to this film was amazing. As always, he manages to create such unique music that perfectly fits this movie".

"Sound - There are at least 3 or 4 scenes where this piercing noise gets louder and it causes suspense. After the first 2 scenes with it I liked it but thought it was over done on the 4th and 5th go. I can't see Dark Knight soundtracks flying off shelves".

People on IMDB don't know anything.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    KevinSmith wrote
    People on IMDB don't know anything.

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    JNH at his best (Snow Falling on Cedars, The Village) is really extremely good - but those two scores do draw extremely heavily on classical pieces and styles, so calling them a "JNH style" is a bit unfair if you don't call Soldier "McNeely style".

I wouldn't. Soldier is more of a Goldsmith style.

I don't think JNH has a clear distinct style of writing outside of his action style (Waterworld, King Kong, Vertical Limit). So having him be able to write a score like "Snow Falling on Cedars" or "The Village" just mean to me that it's another type of writing in his repertoire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

I think JNH missed the boat a few times though. Michael Clayton, The Interpreter - these are not well-scored films. (The use of non-JNH music in the latter is good though, if he had any hand in that.) In general I don't find he detracts from films, he just fits in the way most modern film music does - including Debney's. There aren't that many films where I think the film would have been worse if someone else had scored it, and there are a great number where I think it could have been better.

You're forgetting several more.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

I don't think JNH has a clear distinct style of writing outside of his action style (Waterworld, King Kong, Vertical Limit). So having him be able to write a score like "Snow Falling on Cedars" or "The Village" just mean to me that it's another type of writing in his repertoire.

He has, imo. In all his SHYAMALAN scores, KING KONG, THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE. Very distinct chord procession, strings' usage and melodic manipulation.

SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is an ARVO PART's FRATRES FOR STRINGS redux. Listen to this and then we talk wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    And yes, I guess Zimmer is more "musically interesting" to me most of the time to McNeely, and what's wrong with that?

It's not an argument, it's a point of view. My point of view. I didn't say it to prove any quantifiable point, just a qualitative one.

Steven wrote
    McNeely clearly knows his way around an orchestra to a degree that Zimmer could only dream of. And then of course McNeely doesn't get many interesting gigs, so there's another reason.

Just because the "gigs" aren't interesting doesn't mean the score aren't. Don't be close-minded about those direct-to-DVD Disney movies he does. He clearly enjoys working on them and for some reason they have a massive budget for fully symphony scores. And trust me, his work on those films are always very interesting. Mulan 2, Cinderella III, The Jungle Book 2, and The Fox and the Hound 2 might not be the most interesting TITLES but the scores are really, really good.

I'm not closed-minded about those movies, they're great scores and I'm glad he's still working as a composer. I'd rather he got gigs that I'm interested in though, regardless of how good his music is for those Disney films.

Steven wrote
    But I've never found myself in a McNeely mood, I've never said to myself "wow, I could really go for some McNeely right now". With JNH and Zimmer, this happens quite regularly.

Odd... only because of your affection for everything Williams. McNeely writes in a similar style and I find any composer working within the Williams blueprint far more interesting than anything else. Good for me, right? wink

Well, that's a good point. But then of course if I want to listen to Williams' style, I'll listen to... Williams! wink

Don't get me wrong, I love McNeely and I think he deserves much higher profile films, but he's still a little way down the list of my top favourite film composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

It's not an argument, it's a point of view. My point of view. I didn't say it to prove any quantifiable point, just a qualitative one.

Well, I wasn't aiming that comment at you. I've read a million times that people prefer this score over that because it's unique. It may be shit music but it unique so that mean it's better. Pffffffft!

Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, that's a good point. But then of course if I want to listen to Williams' style, I'll listen to... Williams! wink

Smart ass. You know what I mean.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's the second time I've been called a smart ass lately! I like it, finally my brilliance is being recognised. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    That's the second time I've been called a smart ass lately! I like it, finally my brilliance is being recognised. biggrin

You hang out too much with Martijn biggrin wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm his protégé, his padawan. I'm Anakin to his Obi-Wan. I'm looking forward to our epic battle over lava... beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    More likely to be a battle over lager I would say.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    More likely to be a battle over lager I would say.

....and Port wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm his protégé, his padawan. I'm Anakin to his Obi-Wan. I'm looking forward to our epic battle over lava... beer

Actually you're more Stan Laurel to his Oliver Hardy and I can't wait to see your "epic" battle amongst the lonesome pines.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt