• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote
    The Dark Knight LIVE Score Performance Zimmer & Howard 7.14.08

-> http://youtube.com/watch?v=LXVimLtODks

Anyone got a new link of that video btw? It's been removed..anyone saved it?

-> http://youtube.com/watch?v=EI37AJ28Ew4
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008
    Thanks mate! kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It was very nice, but would've been better if they performed more of the good action stuff instead of just the two-note motif again and again IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    With all that tools and gadgets they have around them, I guess there were more going on there than what we were able to see/hear. I mean, you won't need your macbook pro, and all that stuff JUST to play a two note motif, eh?

Perhaps they'll put better videos of this on TDK's DVD, like Pirates 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Has anyone thought about there being a potentially logical explanation for Harvey Dent's "theme" appearing in Batman Begins? It's really bothering me. Either Zimmer/Howard were being really lazy or there's something much more subtle and fascinating behind it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    Has anyone thought about there being a potentially logical explanation for Harvey Dent's "theme" appearing in Batman Begins? It's really bothering me. Either Zimmer/Howard were being really lazy or there's something much more subtle and fascinating behind it.

Harvey Dent's theme is more or less tied to Rachel Dawes' character and Batman's relationship with Rachel too. I had a similar concern too, but if you've seen the movie, the theme ties it all in very nicely. There's certain innocence and sadness to it that works as a general melody for the both movie as opposed to being assigned to a singular character.

I would say that "Watch The World Burn" is also a Harvey Two Face "theme".
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    Do you recognize "Watch The World Burn" as being from a particular part of the film? I was rather too engrossed in the film to notice a whole lot of detail about the score. Which is rare...I'm usually more focused on the music than the film itself smile

I thought, however, the Zimmer said that he had Howard write a "theme" for Harvey Dent...and in the sense of an original (and by original I mean, unique to TDK) melody that represents Harvey specifically.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Finally heard the last big cue of the score, it's.... alright. A bit bland. What a terrible theme for the Joker. It's not even a theme, it's just... I had to guess that it was the Joker theme.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It fits the character of the Joker as portrayed in the film quite perfectly. If you haven't seen the film, I can understand your sentiment. If you have and you still think its a terrible theme for the Joker, well...
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008 edited
    I don't really care to see The Dark Knight.

Look at say, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, you know what Khan's theme is in the score without seeing the movie.

I shouldn't have to see the movie first to understand what the music dialogue in the score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I saw some of the movie (on yet another pirated channel on the TV, supposedly a cam rip slant) yesterday, and methinks the Joker theme fits him perfectly! Looking forward to watch it fully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    Do you recognize "Watch The World Burn" as being from a particular part of the film? I was rather too engrossed in the film to notice a whole lot of detail about the score. Which is rare...I'm usually more focused on the music than the film itself smile

I thought, however, the Zimmer said that he had Howard write a "theme" for Harvey Dent...and in the sense of an original (and by original I mean, unique to TDK) melody that represents Harvey specifically.

"Watch The World Burn" is a piece that underscored the last scene in the warehouse. I like the string writing and it stood out a bit as a very engrossing bit of score that drips anger and sorrow when paired with Eckhart's performance.
    ache

As I see it, the track "Harvey Two-Face" contain two parts, the Harvey theme with the brass and the Rachel Dawes/Innocence/Love/Family theme. Check it out again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    KevinSmith wrote
    I don't really care to see The Dark Knight.

Look at say, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, you know what Khan's theme is in the score without seeing the movie.

I shouldn't have to see the movie first to understand what the music dialogue in the score.

It's the only piece on the CD that's exactly like what Hans was talking about, chaotic, anarchist and dirty. But then the music wasn't composed for album, though it's been edited for easier listening, it was made for the movie.

And Star Trek II is from a wholly different genre than The Dark Knight. Apples and oranges.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I know people who doesn't follow film music and they knew that the sound is for the Joker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Scribe wrote

You said it: they were being lazy. They just took a subtheme from Batman Begins (which plays three times in the movie) and made it Dent´s theme. As simple as that.

lp wrote
    Harvey Dent's theme is more or less tied to Rachel Dawes' character and Batman's relationship with Rachel too

Only one of the three times the theme appears in Batman Begins has something to do with Rachel´s character (that´s when she slaps Bruce for trying to kill Joe Chill). The other two times the theme appears are totally non related to Dawes´character.

lp wrote
    I would say that "Watch The World Burn" is also a Harvey Two Face "theme"

Totally agree here. Is like a sad version of the brassy Harvey´s theme.

lp wrote
    As I see it, the track "Harvey Two-Face" contain two parts, the Harvey theme with the brass and the Rachel Dawes/Innocence/Love/Family theme

Agree again. I´d say is more the Family Theme, as it appears in BB when the Wayne family is on the train (it could be Gotham´s Theme too though).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I say I need to listen to "Harvey Two-Face" again, more carefully, because what is being suggested makes sense. The first half of the suite is the new material for Harvey and the second half brings in the existing "Gotham emotional content" to suggest Harvey's place in that whole world.

I believe that the more I study the score and the film, the more I will find that Zimmer & Howard were NOT being lazy and were actually being profoundly intelligent. After hearing At World's End I know that Zimmer understands leitmotif and how to use it so I am sure it is in effect here, just much more subtlely than in AWE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    Scribe wrote

"Watch The World Burn" is a piece that underscored the last scene in the warehouse. I like the string writing and it stood out a bit as a very engrossing bit of score that drips anger and sorrow when paired with Eckhart's performance.
    ache

So..."watch the world.." appears in the final scene when Eckhart's character is transformed in Harvey two faces????

I didn't notice that theme was a variation of Harvey Dent Suite. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    lp wrote
    Harvey Dent's theme is more or less tied to Rachel Dawes' character and Batman's relationship with Rachel too

Only one of the three times the theme appears in Batman Begins has something to do with Rachel´s character (that´s when she slaps Bruce for trying to kill Joe Chill). The other two times the theme appears are totally non related to Dawes´character.

lp wrote
    I would say that "Watch The World Burn" is also a Harvey Two Face "theme"

Totally agree here. Is like a sad version of the brassy Harvey´s theme.

lp wrote
    As I see it, the track "Harvey Two-Face" contain two parts, the Harvey theme with the brass and the Rachel Dawes/Innocence/Love/Family theme

Agree again. I´d say is more the Family Theme, as it appears in BB when the Wayne family is on the train (it could be Gotham´s Theme too though).

I agree, I went back and listened to this track last night and there are definitely three distinct parts to the theme. But I still maintain that the Harvey Dent theme is closely tied to the Gotham/Rachel/Innocence thing due to his relationship with the those elements.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    I've listened to The Dark Knight fully, and while it's a solid listening experience, I find Batman Begins to have a more epic sound. The big action setpieces in The Dark Knight have liberal fragments of action music previously heard in Batman Begins ("Molossus", the climatic railway sequence, etc.). Now while Nolan was in love with the temp-track for Batman Begins (he even expresses it in the liner notes), surely he could've allowed more leeway for new ideas to emerge in The Dark Knight apart from Batman's expanded theme and the Joker & Harvey motifs. (It's very apparent, particularly in the middle of the film where they re-use Bruce's parent loss cue for Commissioner Gordon's faked death.)

It may seem like I don't like the album (I do enjoy it), but I wish Nolan had favored a new approach to the score other than recycling the good bits from Batman Begins. But "Harvey Two-Face" is one of JNH's best cues to date... just wonderful.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    Video of Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard performing the score from the DARK KNIGHT premiere:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI37AJ28Ew4
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Great Score , Love It!!

sd smile biggrin
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    What a terrible theme for the Joker. It's not even a theme, it's just... I had to guess that it was the Joker theme.

Yes, it's a terrible THEME but it's not a THEME. wink It's a motif. Actually, it's not even a motif. It's Joker's "musical" identification. Look, I'm the last one that will defend Batman Begins but some of what Zimmer and Howard did in The Dark Knight was simply wonderful. Joker's "sound" was one of those wonderful aspects and fit the character perfectly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    What a terrible theme for the Joker. It's not even a theme, it's just... I had to guess that it was the Joker theme.

Yes, it's a terrible THEME but it's not a THEME. wink It's a motif. Actually, it's not even a motif. It's Joker's "musical" identification. Look, I'm the last one that will defend Batman Begins but some of what Zimmer and Howard did in The Dark Knight was simply wonderful. Joker's "sound" was one of those wonderful aspects and fit the character perfectly.

-Erik-

Agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    Matt C wrote
    It's very apparent, particularly in the middle of the film where they re-use Bruce's parent loss cue for Commissioner Gordon's faked death.

HELLO?! There are countries in the world where the movie starts later, and since this is the score topic, not the movie topic, posting spoilers like this, in the middle of a score discussion, without any warning, isn´t exactly very nice. So thanks for the info on Gordon... don´t know what it means, but I´m sure I will somewhere down the movie... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    dgoldwas wrote
    Video of Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard performing the score from the DARK KNIGHT premiere:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI37AJ28Ew4

How not convincing. Zimmer's pushing two buttons on his piano, as is JNH. Wow!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    It does give a good effect of the mind of a Psycho.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Matt C wrote
    It's very apparent, particularly in the middle of the film where they re-use Bruce's parent loss cue for Commissioner Gordon's faked death.

HELLO?! There are countries in the world where the movie starts later, and since this is the score topic, not the movie topic, posting spoilers like this, in the middle of a score discussion, without any warning, isn´t exactly very nice. So thanks for the info on Gordon... don´t know what it means, but I´m sure I will somewhere down the movie... rolleyes

Agree with you Ralph. Matt, a little SPOILER ALERT would have been nice...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Agree with you Ralph. Matt, a little SPOILER ALERT would have been nice...

But you're only making it worse by quoting the spoiler again!! tongue *zip*

Anyway, one thing I thought was very funny was how much this score grew on some of us. I know my first comments, and D's as well were along the lines of "I'm on track 3..and I'm asleep". Now we both love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Anyway, one thing I thought was very funny was how much this score grew on some of us. I know my first comments, and D's as well were along the lines of "I'm on track 3..and I'm asleep". Now we both love it!

You are weird tongue
    Actually, I´m the only one who don´t like it I´m afraid.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

You are weird tongue
    Actually, I´m the only one who don´t like it I´m afraid.

But...but...we have switched roles!? moon

Btw, does anyone know if the special edition comes in a nice plastic jewel case or one of the crappy cardboard ones?