• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Is the heroic theme heard in "like a Dog.." or " A little anarchy" mixed loud in the film??? Well....Is it used???

thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Anyway, one thing I thought was very funny was how much this score grew on some of us.

Sorry, but being one of the guys who were bashed to pieces for standing up against the wave of those claiming the score to be boring before anyone could even listen to a complete CD, there´s absolutely nothing funny about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    I must admit, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I do. And a lack of expectations is always beneficial in the end!

I still don't think it deserves nearly as much attention it's got and I think it's been overrated to the hilt. But that doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    Is the heroic theme heard in "like a Dog.." or " A little anarchy" mixed loud in the film??? Well....Is it used???

thanks.

It's used in the last action sequence to great effect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    I still don't think it deserves nearly as much attention it's got and I think it's been overrated to the hilt. But that doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment of it.

I thought that the majority of the attention this score had received, all came from before it was even released, and all of it was negative. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There were certainly some very negative comments made in this thread, that much is certain!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Steven wrote

lp wrote
    I thought that the majority of the attention this score had received, all came from before it was even released, and all of it was negative. vomit

Yeah. Underrated would be my word of choice. It certainly wasn´t praised as a Second Coming, not by me, not even by Jordi. The wind that blew into our faces was singing "bored to death", and I think nobody came up with an overrating of the score as a whole. Certain tracks have been very well received by Zimmer fans from the beginning, that´s no doubt, but as a whole, the discussion was too busy slaying Batman Begins to actually give The Dark Knight a proper chance. But even regardless of positive or negative reviews, it would have been better to wait for the movie and judge its impact on the score, although it should be the other way around (judging the score on its impact on the movie). I don´t know if I get across what I´m saying here, but it´s the general problem of people´s taste and, even more, expectations, and judging a score on that things is wrong, wrong, wrong. You can say "I don´t like it", which would be perfectly acceptable, but saying, "it´s bad" just isn´t.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think people generally had low hopes due to the first score and due to the fact that we all knew it was going to be very similiar to the first one. I don't think many people really "pre-judged" the score, but rather expressed low hopes for it, and many good points were made IMO. The discussion then kind of snowballed into 28 pages!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    You know, I really don´t want to scroll through 28 pages to pick up all the pre-judging that happened, and similarly, I´m unwilling to look up all the "boooring stuff" statements made after that first version of the score showed up on the net. Expectations and first impressions were so low that there wasn´t even a chance for overrating.

Beside that let me start the next 28 pages by stating that I still stand by my statement that BB is a fantastic score that will always be underrated, if not hated by lovers of classic orchestral score style, while those accepting things how they are manage to actually like it for what it is, a great score perfectly fitting for a great movie, and TDK is exactly the same, it seems (haven´t seen the movie due to late starting date in Germany - frak Warner!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not everyone who dislikes this score hates it and not everyone who likes it think it's great. Personally I think Batman Begins is a pretty average score, and The Dark Knight is a good score. There have been a few harsh comments on both sides I would imagine, but reading back on some of the comments it seems to me the "Batman Begins Defenders" get very defensive about negative opinions towards it.

I don't have a problem with someone loving the Batman Begins score, why would I? I can see why they would. But when they start to get nasty about it (not necessarily you), it does begin to get a little ridiculous and even antithetical to the whole point of the discussion. I think it's this defensiveness and knee-jerk reaction to negativity that has been the catalyst for such a large thread.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Again I ask - does anyone know if the special edition CD comes in a jewl case or a cardboard one?? confused sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've been told it comes in a jewel encrusted, gold-plated sleeve with hand written liner notes from the composers themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    Again I ask - does anyone know if the special edition CD comes in a jewl case or a cardboard one?? confused sad

The one with the Bike on the cover? I have that one. It's a digipack, I think that's the term of it. It's the same as the POTC:AWE release, except with character cards and the sleeve insert from the regular edition.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lp wrote
    Anthony wrote

The one with the Bike on the cover? I have that one. It's a digipack, I think that's the term of it. It's the same as the POTC:AWE release, except with character cards and the sleeve insert from the regular edition.

Digipacks are a word starting with s and ending with t. rolleyes I won't be buying that version then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    Why the hate towards digis? I love 'em
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Short question: In an Interview Zimmer and Newton Howard talked about the so called Trust-Suite. Where is that suite included on the regular album realise of the score?

Thanx for help.

All best
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Me too... plastic jewel cases can be easily broken, especially around hinges. And difficult to fix it crazy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Did anyone count how many themes and motifs Zimmer and Howard used for the new batman franchise???

Why the hell they didn't choose between 2 or 3 or them???
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    Why the hell they didn't choose between 2 or 3 or them???

You should clarify the question again...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Well...there are plenty of motifs and themes for batman.

I can give you the times and the tracks from the dark Knight score if you want...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    Well, with all the flip-flopping I'm finally starting to be vaguely intrigued.
    I am one of those who were completely dismissive due to the very poor franchise kickoff (yes, generic and non-descriptive registers as "poor" with me as I mainly judge film scores on their enjoyability as a stand-alone listen), but as more and more people whom I know to dismiss the musical wallpaper that is Batman Begins now make an about-turn on its sequel, I should at least get *one* listen in.
    ...but my little vial of acid ink stands at the ready...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jeez, I'm only on to track 4, and already I feel exhausted...what an unrelenting barrage of aggression! Thunder and fury all the way, interspersed with moments of velvet-heavy ominous dark.
    It's not bad (at least it's way more in your face than Batman Begins was), but I can't for the life of me say I'm enjoying it.
    It's frigging SUFFOCATING.

I imagine I'll give this score a lot of play if I am either seriously depressed or when my heart is broken...for now though I'm about to switch to some lighter fare...like Schindler's List or so... rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Definitely have to be in a particular mood to enjoy The Dark Knight. It does satisfy that darker side to your music yearnings, so for that reason I rather like it. But it isn't one I'll be listening to that often I don't imagine.

And Schindler's List is a BEAUTIFUL score!! A sad one, but so beautiful. Gimme that any day to The Dark Knight.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Me too... plastic jewel cases can be easily broken, especially around hinges. And difficult to fix it crazy

Are you kidding? If they break, just put put the CD and inlays in a new case. With digipacks you're stuffed if you squash it, because the artwork IS the case. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Are you kidding? If they break, just put put the CD and inlays in a new case. With digipacks you're stuffed if you squash it, because the artwork IS the case. dizzy

Depends if you put it somewhere it can get squashed!?

Old chinese proverb say "man who squash digipak did not put it in right place!" tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Mine just get squashed/bent/damaged around the edges when I put them in with my other CDs. Give me a plastic case any day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing some permanent blank ink can't fix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Duct tape mate. It fixes anything - even digipacks. That and a little WD-40.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sounds like the material airlines in Africa use to fix their planes.