• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, that's a very good point but you have to admit LIKE A DOG CHASING CARS is TOO GOOD of a piece to be left out. Wouldn't you agree that it HAD to fit it in somewhere along the movie? Perhaps not in the said scene but that it should definitely be used somewhere?

I actually thought part of it had been used later in the film when Batman stormed the tower. (Finally, this is the part of the film where music probably needs to insist on Batman's heroism, Ralph, since he's attacking police to save innocents disguised as terrorists. That's a kind of heroism that is pretty unique to Batman. It wasn't so necessary in that earlier scene where he was racing to protect Eckhart. The character of Batman isn't on the line in the same way in that scene.)

That was another piece, similar in structure to like a dog chasing cars which is also on the score Cd ( can't remember its title now ).

Agent of Chaos, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, that's a very good point but you have to admit LIKE A DOG CHASING CARS is TOO GOOD of a piece to be left out. Wouldn't you agree that it HAD to fit it in somewhere along the movie? Perhaps not in the said scene but that it should definitely be used somewhere?

I actually thought part of it had been used later in the film when Batman stormed the tower. (Finally, this is the part of the film where music probably needs to insist on Batman's heroism, Ralph, since he's attacking police to save innocents disguised as terrorists. That's a kind of heroism that is pretty unique to Batman. It wasn't so necessary in that earlier scene where he was racing to protect Eckhart. The character of Batman isn't on the line in the same way in that scene.)

That was another piece, similar in structure to like a dog chasing cars which is also on the score Cd ( can't remember its title now ).

Agent of Chaos, I think.

"Introduce a Little Anarchy" actually wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. When we're at it. If Batman Begins had bat species' names as the track titles, this time they went with quotes biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There's way too much good stuff in this film that I forgot about. Just reading your posts keeps reminding me of things! dizzy
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Obviously, when I have people who are totally oblivious to the world of scores, who talk about a scene where they sorely missed some music in the background...

But Ralph, you're forgetting the fact that 99.99% of this film's audience doesn't have a clue whether music was even playing in that scene. And they're not likely to bring it up because they don't know about such things. They only feel, and they usually won't translate it into a technical comment, it will usually manifest in a vague agitation or perceived story deficit. Technique comments from most audiences have a truly confusing randomness about them.

So what you've got are people who know enough about film-making to notice whether there's music or not, who are missing it because they thought it 'needed' to be there, and it wasn't. Now why did they think it needed to be there? Is it because they know the general laws of film spotting that have been passed down the ages and are enshrined for a century? No, because there isn't really such a tradition, and there's very little sense of what is objectively good spotting - each age has its defaults, which filmmakers negotiate with. Far more likely is the fact that the films that dominate their attention are recent, and if anything has occurred in the last 15 years, it's a trend towards scoring action scenes of just about any kind. People used to such films are obviously going to miss music in an action scene without any, but to blame that preference on the film-maker is just a concession to an arbitrary standard.

To get back to your point about most unscored action scenes of the seventies being confrontation scenes , I find this an unusual argument. Firstly, while that may hold for STAR WARS (which I only named because I suspected the others wouldn't have been seen), the CAPRICORN ONE and FRENCH CONNECTION cases have a lot more in common with the DARK KNIGHT chase scene. They are kinetic moving-vehicle-based chase scenes - climactic scenes - and yet are allowed work scoreless. Secondly, the scene we're talking about in DARK KNIGHT is a confrontation... - so perhaps I'm not understanding you. More examples: We could talk about the whole Pearl Harbor attack in Goldsmith's TORA TORA TORA being unscored (after a very rhythmically-scored build-up for most of the film). We could talk about the street battle in HEAT, also unscored (again, as in DARK KNIGHT, an unused score cue), far more recent, and not an irrelevant reference for the director DK. The fact is that there is a tradition of holding back on musical persuasion when the scene is sufficiently rich in suspense and energy to not call for it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Yes, we could also name Bullitt here.
  5. See previous page. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, we could also name Bullitt here.

Man but I wish Schifrin had scored that sequence.....just so it could be on the album wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Indeed biggrin

I also can speak of The English Patient, there is the scene when Kip tries to disarm a bomb which is very suspenseful and has no musical underscore. Yared told me that this scene was already emotional enough and didn't need score. And I'm keen to agree with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    To get back to your point about most unscored action scenes of the seventies being confrontation scenes , I find this an unusual argument.

I never said that.

And you´re simply neither getting my point about absolutely normal, non-musically, non-technically interested people (which are more than 0,01 %) reacting negatively to the scene nor my point about me believing the scene didn´t need a subconscious feeling of unrest.

And, BTW, I absolutely agree that it is the biggest action scene in the movie. Not scoring it just feels wrong. And I don´t care whether that´s because I´m used to it or not. So I don´t get it why I shouldn´t tell the director that I felt the scene would have worked better with the music. It´s his decision to leave it unscored, and mine that I would have used the track. All about opinion. You fell it´s okay, I don´t.

Either way, we have null influence on it. So let´s just leave it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Indeed biggrin

I also can speak of The English Patient, there is the scene when Kip tries to disarm a bomb which is very suspenseful and has no musical underscore. Yared told me that this scene was already emotional enough and didn't need score. And I'm keen to agree with it.

I'd really have to see that film again. On the other hand it would be hard to imagine James Bond disarming a bomb without musical company such as Goldfinger ( 'Arrival of The Bomb and Countdown' on the album )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Remember though that there are different conventions. The scene in English Patient is filmed with hand-held camera for example and concentrates on heavy realism and concentration.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Remember though that there are different conventions. The scene in English Patient is filmed with hand-held camera for example and concentrates on heavy realism and concentration.

Of course. Like I said, I'd have to see the film again.
  8. And you´re simply neither getting my point about absolutely normal, non-musically, non-technically interested people (which are more than 0,01 %) reacting negatively to the scene nor my point about me believing the scene didn´t need a subconscious feeling of unrest.

0.01% is exaggeration for argument's sake since we don't know the true number, but it couldn't be too far off if my experience with audiences is any indication. You say you know people who had trouble with the scene. I know a lot of people who've seen this film too, and I haven't heard any of them talking about the scoring of this scene. Not even among the film students I teach. The only complaints I'm hearing come from the place where people knew what they were missing. (Though I acknowledge this casual empiricism is open to the 'black swan' criticism.)

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Either way, we have null influence on it. So let´s just leave it.

It's not about changing the film, as though that were ever in question. It's about the perception that film-making that doesn't depend on music is in some way deficient. I guess I'm all for pointing people out on their biases, and I believe there are some biases in effect here in the way people react to it.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Indeed biggrin

Admittedly, that's not a film I remember for its arm-gripping suspense. wink
  10. No, there was one or two quick suspense/action scenes, all unscored - one was bombing of the hospital, the other one I remember was the disarming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    And, BTW, I absolutely agree that it is the biggest action scene in the movie. Not scoring it just feels wrong.

Thanks! kiss
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote

It's not about changing the film, as though that were ever in question. It's about the perception that film-making that doesn't depend on music is in some way deficient. I guess I'm all for pointing people out on their biases, and I believe there are some biases in effect here in the way people react to it.

It's certainly not deficient and it's mostly a personal thing of wanting to have the extra pleasure of the bombast Zimmer has written for it rather than an actual defect and i certainly agree with you as i'd never call anything like that when it comes to THE DARK KNIGHT - a film i consider as PERFECT down to the last bit.

However. in more general terms i'd say that film-making DOES depend on music, even if film makers realize it or not or even if they like to admit it or not and it's been an integral part of the art since ever. Most of the times the silence they seek and musical / sound gaps they use in order to pass down a certain feeling, are also achieved through the heavy contrast between a musical piece that played before or would follow. It if wasn't for the heavy contrast and the resulting feeling of emptiness and something missing, the impact of those scenes would be significantly lower and most of the audience wouldn't even notice the contrast.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. I guess Munich is a case in point here. Some scenes are without, some with music and it seems that the scenes were filmed and edited with that in mind already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    Like it, tolerate it, or hate it the film just passed the 500 million dollar mark. I understand that Harry Potter has been held back because of the success.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  12. Didn't it pass 900 million worldwide a week ago? I saw it last Sunday and plan to do it again in an IMAX smile
  13. I would like to see it again too, but I haven't found to time to see anything at the cinema in the last four weeks, and seeing something for the second time is a very rare indulgence (only NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN in recent memory).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008
    According to Amazon.com the 2 CD Special Edition will have the same tracks as the regular release

-> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HXG8PK/
  14. Then why 2 CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Interviews maybe? Bonus features and gimmicky things like that perhaps?
  15. Maybe it has a Making Of or something like that on CD2. Or the score from BB... Or a 45 min trailer for the TDK DVD... Or a Zimmer/Howard Best Of... Or the original comic in digital form... Or......... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Or.........

...fuck all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    New tracklisting from Amazon:

Disc 1
    1. Why So Serious?
    2. I'm Not A Hero
    3. Harvey Two-Face
    4. Aggressive Expansion
    5. Always A Catch
    6. Blood On My Hands
    7. A Little Push
    8. Like A Dog Chasing Cars
    9. I Am The Batman
    10. And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad
    11. Agent Of Chaos
    12. Introduce A Little Anarchy
    13. Watch The World Burn
    14. A Dark Knight

Disc 2
    1. Bank Robbery (Prologue)
    2. Buyer Beware
    3. Halfway To Hong Kong
    4. Decent Men In An Indecent Time
    5. You're Gonna Love Me
    6. Chance
    7. You Complete Me
    8. The Ferries
    9. We Are Tonight's Entertainment
    10. A Watchful Guardian
    11. Why So Serious?(The Crystal Method Remix)
    12. Poor Choice Of Words(Paul van Dyk Remix)
    13. Gunpowder And Gasoline(Remix by Mel Wesson)
    14. Rory's First Kiss(Remix by Ryeland Allison)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008 edited
    Thomas wrote
    14. Rory's First Kiss(Remix by Ryeland Allison)

biggrin (Rory's First Kiss was the working title of the film, Rory is the son of Christopher Nolan).

Tracklisting of disc 2 is awesome! (A Watchful Guardian, would that be the filmversion of the final minutes, sequeing into the endcredits? I hope so!).

My only complaint: why put it all on a seperate disc? I would've preferred to mix it with the first release, so we're not buying a completely useless disc again. Oh well, I'm gonna buy this anyway. Seems like it's akin to the extra disc of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Also new on Amazon, a description:

The Special Edition features the complete score on two CD's plus four bonus remix tracks; it also contains an 8x8x40 page hardbound book.

punk