• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    NP: The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

Haunting, reflective, graceful... just gorgeous.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    NP: WALL•E - Thomas Newman

Just got this one tonight. Really great score; Thomas Newman does a great job setting the unearthly/space atmosphere which encompasses the tale of WALL•E.

Favorite tracks:

1. Put On Your Sunday Clothes
    4. The Spaceship
    5. Eve
    12. Eve Retrieve
    13. The Axiom
    21. WALL•E's Pod Adventure
    22. Define Dancing
    24. All That Love's About
    29. Rogue Robots
    30. March of the Gels
    31. Tilt
    33. Hyperjump
    34. Desperate Eve
    36. It Only Takes a Moment
    38. Horizon 12.2
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: WALL•E - Thomas Newman

Just got this one tonight. Really great score; Thomas Newman does a great job setting the unearthly/space atmosphere which encompasses the tale of WALL•E.

Favorite tracks:

1. Put On Your Sunday Clothes
    4. The Spaceship
    12. Eve Retrieve
    21. WALL•E's Pod Adventure
    27. Mutiny!
    29. Rogue Robots
    30. March of the Gels
    31. Tilt
    33. Hyperjump
    34. Desperate Eve
    36. It Only Takes a Moment
    38. Horizon 12.2

Yeah, I've warmed up to it quite more now I've listened to it more times smile

NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

But I still prefer this over Wall-E personally. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

My #2 most favourite Zimmer score of all time after The Lion King. A terrific masterpiece in which IMO each and every track is a gem.

Favourite tracks - The Chariot Race, The Burning Bush, Cry, Red Sea, The Nile of Blood, The Ten Commandments. My rating - *****

This also deserves an expanded release IMO.
  1. Scribe wrote
    but I can't believe no one is talking about "The Moon and the Superhero"...that's got to be one of the greatest uses of the Zimmer "power anthem" concept I have ever heard...and the most epic, heroic thing I've ever heard from John Powell.

I said it a looooooong time ago...

But after all the Hancock bashing, I stopped saying anything about it...
  2. HANS ZIMMER & JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - BATMAN BEGINS

I love it !

I could listen to it over and over again the whole day !

I just CANNOT wait for his little Dark brother ! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    HANS ZIMMER & JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - BATMAN BEGINS

I love it !

I could listen to it over and over again the whole day !

I just CANNOT wait for his little Dark brother ! punk

I feel his little Dark bro is gonna overshadow him wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

My #2 most favourite Zimmer score of all time after The Lion King. A terrific masterpiece in which IMO each and every track is a gem.

Favourite tracks - The Chariot Race, The Burning Bush, Cry, Red Sea, The Nile of Blood, The Ten Commandments. My rating - *****

This also deserves an expanded release IMO.

Wow...You are really a Zimmer fan. I remember when I was young and I was playing Zimmer all the time!. Welcome to the next generation!

Now, I play Zimmer all the time too...But mixed with Powell, Williams and Goldsmith. Well, and sometimes other composers too tongue beer

NP:The Dig (Michael Land)

With Half Life, Flashback and Monkey Island this is one of my all time favourite videogames.

The score is really mind Blowing, this is the sound wich really make me travel to another world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Wow...You are really a Zimmer fan. I remember when I was young and I was playing Zimmer all the time!. Welcome to the next generation!

Now, I play Zimmer all the time too...But mixed with Powell, Williams and Goldsmith. Well, and sometimes other composers too tongue beer

Me too! After all Zimmer was the man who introduced me into the film score world with The Lion King, his scores will always be special for me. Cheers, man! beer

To be honest I prefer Zimmer's scores in the vein of Lion King, Prince of Egypt and Da Vinci Code rather than his synth/guitar based stuff like BHD etc.

NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

One of the best Zimmer scores of this decade!! punk biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Me too! After all Zimmer was the man who introduced me into the film score world with The Lion King, his scores will always be special for me. Cheers, man! beer

To be honest I prefer Zimmer's scores in the vein of Lion King, Prince of Egypt and Da Vinci Code rather than his synth/guitar based stuff like BHD etc.

NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

One of the best Zimmer scores of this decade!! punk biggrin

Well, Zimmer and his scores always will be special for me. Because they "opened" this world to me, and because his scores were always with me in the bad and in the good things!

The old synth-guitar style has dated very badly, so now I rarelly i can listen them. With few exceptions like Broken Arrow and K2.

And yes, The Da Vinci Code is one of all time greatest scores! beer

NP:Evolution (powell)

I was playing "the dig" but my mouse clicked (tongue) "the mall chase" ....oops! I'm addicted again to this fantastic main theme!

I think this score it's the most pure Powell sound. Without having so "fireworks" like he has these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Agent Cody Banks - John Powell

Another great Powell Powered score with great percussion and action stuff punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    NP: I am Lincoln from The Island - Steve Jablonsky

The one only tracks I liked from the score album... maybe I should put on some John Powell too.! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Respect the wind (from twister) and Thunderbird (from Wings of a Film )

With this hot wheather I´m in solo electric guitars mode!

beer

More recomendations?

EDIT

it's not the same style than the tracks avobe but...

The Kraken ( Dead Man's chest is awful, but this tracks it's one of the tracks I will remember from Zimmer ever! remember and playing) and "the chase/grand Canyon" ( from thelma ans louise, one of the most vibrant and authentichaly Zimmer action tracks from the Maestro, it's so energic and cool that you can feel the chase in your blood! )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My favourites from DMC are The Kraken, Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones and Wheel of Fortune. Others on the album don't appeal to me much. A shame that good stuff like Summon The Kraken, The Flying Dutchman Arrival and Davy Jones' film version organ music remains unreleased.

NP: Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End - Hans Zimmer

One of Zimmer's best recent scores, and undoubtebly the best of the PoTC trilogy. Though more than 75% of the good music on the film is missing from the album, it's still a great listening experience. If only they hadn't jumbled up the sequence of the scenes in I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Respect the wind (from twister) and Thunderbird (from Wings of a Film )

With this hot wheather I´m in solo electric guitars mode!

beer

More recomendations?

You listen to electric guitar music on hot days?? It gets me feel much hotter... wink

NP: Theme From ''Antarctica'' - Vangelis
    This is the music to cool the air down. cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ice Age 2 - The Meltdown - John Powell

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NO MORE ZIMMER AND CO.!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

crazy

Seriously, do you guys listen to ANYTHING else? Holy Mary Mother of God!

NP: The Adventures of Robin Hood - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Now THIS is film music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Shoulda seen that coming cheesy tongue

NP: The Mummy 2 CD - Jerry Goldsmith

What about this? This is gonna creep into my top 10 scores' list very soon! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Shoulda seen that coming cheesy tongue

NP: The Mummy 2 CD - Jerry Goldsmith

What about this? This is gonna creep into my top 10 scores' list very soon! punk

Excellent score... but I could probably count ten or more Goldsmith scores that are waaaay better than this. Anyway, The Mummy is good old fashion fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Schindler's List - John Williams

Any word other than MASTERPIECE is an understatement!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

Ice Age 2, The Mummy and Schindler's all in less that 34 minutes? dizzy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

Who said I'm playing the whole of them? wink We've all got something like a "favourite playlist"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

Who said I'm playing the whole of them? wink We've all got something like a "favourite playlist"...

Yes, but you don't see us opening a separate post for each track in our playlist.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yes, but you don't see us opening a separate post for each track in our playlist.

When did I open a separate post for each track in my playlist? I mention the score whose tracks I'm playing and my favourite tracks from it. Just that I don't play the whole score, only my favourite tracks from it which I included in my personal playlist, which I posted in answer to your question as to why I finished listening to the albums so fast. It's because I didn't play them whole. I cannot see myself posting "NP: Hans Zimmer - Gladiator - 03 The Battle" anywhere.

NP: The Rescue - Bruce Broughton

A fine, but underrated score IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    I cannot see myself posting "NP: Hans Zimmer - Gladiator - 03 The Battle" anywhere.

Not even in THIS THREAD? wink

Anyway, why don't you mention that you are only playing selected tracks. It might help people who are unfamiliar with the score to find the best tracks and it might inspire others to create similar playlists. Just a thought.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I cannot see myself posting "NP: Hans Zimmer - Gladiator - 03 The Battle" anywhere.

Not even in THIS THREAD? wink

Anyway, why don't you mention that you are only playing selected tracks. It might help people who are unfamiliar with the score to find the best tracks and it might inspire others to create similar playlists. Just a thought.

-Erik-

Wow, I never noticed that thread! tongue It'll take much time to post my playlist anyway, it's a bit too long! biggrin

Yeah, I've now started to mention my favourite tracks from a score I mention in the NP thread (often I play those tracks more than others on the album) so people can get my opinion about what's the stuff that's (IMO) better on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Ghost and The Darkness - Jerry Goldsmith

It's frightening how much this score is compatible with the theme of the movie! I almost feel as though I'm out there in the lions' area when I listen to it! shocked

Favourite tracks - Theme From ''The Ghost And The Darkness'', The Bridge, Lions Attack, First Time, Preparations, Prepare for Battle, Final Attack, Welcome To Tsavo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Ghost and The Darkness - Jerry Goldsmith

It's frightening how much this score is compatible with the theme of the movie! I almost feel as though I'm out there in the lions' area when I listen to it! shocked

Indeed. A fine score. Admittedly, I didn't like the score at first. I first heard it with the film and I absolutely loathed the chanting children. But a few years later, I acquired the CD, gave it a spin and the children didn't bother me anymore... they actually enhanced the score. And then revisited the entertaining movie years later I finally was able to truly appreciate what Goldsmith crafted. I love the big, brassy main theme. Classic Goldsmith!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    And the ethnic African Percussion stuff is really cool too! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Heroes Playlist

Trying to make a heroic sounding playlist for general use, and I've currently got:

1. The Last Starfighter - Main Title - Craig Safan
    2. Ace Ventura 2 When Nature Calls - Main Title - Robert Folk
    3. Rugby World Cup - I - Christopher Gordon
    4. Eight Below - End Credits - Mark Isham
    5. Christopher Columbus - [short track from his Film Music promo] - Cliff Eidelman
    6. Flipper - The Secret Weapon - Joel McNeely
    7. Fool's Gold - The Stand Off (Fool's Gold Theme) - George Fenton
    8. Cars - The Big Race - Randy Newman
    9. Hancock - The Moon & The Superhero - John Powell (don't judge me, it works really well)
    10. The Beastmaster - The Legend of Dar (Main Theme) - Lee Holdridge
    11. Call Of Duty 3 - Main Theme - Joel Goldsmith
    12. The Musketeer - The Fight Inn - David Arnold
    13. Fields Of Freedom - Lines Of Engagement - Trevor Jones
    14. Fields Of Freedom - They Also Served - Trevor Jones
    15. Fields Of Freedom - Valley Of The Shadow Of Death - Trevor Jones
    16. Mulan - Mushu To The Rescue - Jerry Goldsmith
    17. First Knight - The Gauntlet - Jerry Goldsmith
    18. Quigley Down Under - The Attack - Basil Poledouris
    19. Iron Will - Suite [from Joel McNeely Film Works] - Joel McNeely

And not a Zimmer and Co. score in sight! (Well, okay apart from Hancock.)

The first half of the playlist works really well, and the Iron Will suite is a great ending, but the latter half still needs a bit of work.

Any suggestions for more cues?